DIY optics grill at a fraction of the cost of a new one.

mx_rab

Reaction score
Hey folks

Decided that I didnt want to pay 200 odd squid for a new optics grill for my A3 so spent £21 and done it myself.

Required:
1 x Can of Plasti dip (black)
Plasti Dip - Plastic / Rubber Paint - Aerosol Can 311ml | eBay

1 x 610mm x 1000mm sheet of black viynl wrap
eBay - The UK's Online Marketplace

and Bobs your uncle :icon_thumright:

IMAG0387.jpg

IMAG0391.jpg

IMAG0392.jpg

IMAG0393.jpg

IMAG0398-1.jpg

Then unveiled the badge, forget masking tape just peel the stuff off, awesome.

IMAG0399-1.jpg

Also did the fog chrome surrounds

IMAG0395-1.jpg

Very pleased with how it all came out.

Reactions: MrWhItEwOlF and Paullie
Nice job fella, I really like these all black grills especially on black A3's. Looks absolutely mint!

Cheers mate, wasnt sure on wether to keep the rings black or not, but i think having them chrome contrasts nicely with the matt grill.

That looks fab, Rab! Plastidip is the way ahead. Looks every bit as good as an OEM optics grille and as you say, at a fraction of the cost. Well done, you! :wub: xx

I'd keep the rings chrome. Not a big fan of black rings. Chrome rings stand out much better with a black grill.

Reactions: patrick93
Thanks Paullie. The thing i also like is that the stuff just peels off if you want to change it back to standard, amazing stuff and worth every penny.

Whip off the front bumper and gently pull back the clips to remove the grill, then remove the chrome surround, delicate process but easy done.

Clean the grill thourghly and leave to dry fully. I sprayed about 5 layers on my grill with the plastidip, very easy stuff to use cant go wrong with it.

Leave about 20-30mins between coats. Then leave for another hour while you wrap the chrome surround.

After everythings back on, gently peel underneath the rings to test if its proper dry and continue peeling until you get the all the chrome showing through.

Also forgot to add, get some vinyl primer for the chrome surround to help the vinyl stick better.
eBay - The UK's Online Marketplace

Reactions: Friendy
looks awesome mate! well done dude!
but, (i know there is always one!) , will it not chip away easily off stone chips?
and being in a particularly stone chip prone part of the car it is vulnerable!
how long has it been done and how many miles has it covered since the mod? and are there any signs of deteriation?

Plasti dip will be more dureable than the paint on an optics grill, purely because its a rubber coat. The more layers you put on the better the protection. Basically you are protecting your original grill underneath. You know the type of coating you get on old plier handles, its the same stuff. Very dureable.

Only done a couple of hundred miles so nothing as of yet. And as for the chrome surround its only vinyl thats worth a fiver if it gets chipped or ripped just do it again, unlike with an optics grill where you would have to replace the whole thing.

Plasti dip will be more dureable than the paint on an optics grill, purely because its a rubber coat. The more layers you put on the better the protection. Basically you are protecting your original grill underneath. You know the type of coating you get on old plier handles, its the same stuff. Very dureable.

Only done a couple of hundred miles so nothing as of yet. And as for the chrome surround its only vinyl thats worth a fiver if it gets chipped or ripped just do it again, unlike with an optics grill where you would have to replace the whole thing.

I'll second the durability point - have done about 6k miles on a plastidipped grill, no chips so far!

Anyone going to have a go at trying to make a new shape grill from an old grill - cut the top corners

Cheers mate lol. Personally i really think they have gone backwards with the new shape grill, doesnt look as good as the 8P3. That would be some major mod to try and make the new type grill.

Cheers mate lol. Personally i really think they have gone backwards with the new shape grill, doesnt look as good as the 8P3. That would be some major mod to try and make the new type grill.
Im the same. I think the new grill looks abit odd. It's too small and too low down. Can't quite put my finger on it. You're right though the grill you've got looks a hundred times better

I think they maxed out on the 8P3, best looking A3, but no doubt the new one will grow on me. Plus have you seen the interior of the new A3 TIIIIIIIDY :)