A3 2l TDi on last legs clattering noise when cold, owl turbo etc

Matt_Storm

Reaction score
Website
www.project-storm.co.uk
Hi everyone i was after some advice really ive had my A3 2004 2l TDi sline for a number of years and it has served me well. Its now on 178k over the last year i have noticed a gradual decline in a number of areas the thrush bearing is really rough with clutch pedal up but goes away when pedal pushed down or driving, the turbo makes a whining noise and it sounds like an owl when i change gear with no boost in 1st or 2nd gear, sometimes 3rd this was a recon turbo only a year ago but has been pretty awful from the day it was fitted but i have lived with it.
This week though a new noise has occurred from the engine - on cold start a loud clatter has started in time with the engine it seems to go away more once warmed up, could this be the oil pick up blocked? i was wondering if this may have caused my original + new turbo failing and if these cars are known for this problem at high millage as in oil pick up blocking? The car seems to use no oil what so ever which is odd, its been this way since the new turbo was fitted. I am considering my options at the moment but its looking at a new car or at least engine replacement, i love the car to bits and the rest is still in mint condition it just seems a shame to get rid of it.
Thanks for any advice Matt

178k!....... hopefully a few more miles in mine yet then!

I must do at least 30-40k a year most of which has been driven really hard i can imagine this car would do a lot more under normal conditions. Hopefully get her up to the high 200's before i get another!

i know what u mean about the owl noise when changing gear lol!! mine is on 75k and has started doing this, it seems louder when cold. no idea what it is maybe some kinda boost leak or split pipe, but the car still runs fine and no problems on boost

Hi everyone i was after some advice really ive had my A3 2004 2l TDi sline for a number of years and it has served me well. Its now on 178k over the last year i have noticed a gradual decline in a number of areas the thrush bearing is really rough with clutch pedal up but goes away when pedal pushed down or driving, the turbo makes a whining noise and it sounds like an owl when i change gear with no boost in 1st or 2nd gear, sometimes 3rd this was a recon turbo only a year ago but has been pretty awful from the day it was fitted but i have lived with it.
This week though a new noise has occurred from the engine - on cold start a loud clatter has started in time with the engine it seems to go away more once warmed up, could this be the oil pick up blocked? i was wondering if this may have caused my original + new turbo failing and if these cars are known for this problem at high millage as in oil pick up blocking? The car seems to use no oil what so ever which is odd, its been this way since the new turbo was fitted. I am considering my options at the moment but its looking at a new car or at least engine replacement, i love the car to bits and the rest is still in mint condition it just seems a shame to get rid of it.
Thanks for any advice Matt

http://item.mobileweb.ebay.co.uk/viewitem?itemId=270827766453&index=21&nav=SEARCH&nid=69784469610