EM TuningMonster Motorsport
    1st Gear

Status

Climate control/radiator fan

Anyone know anything about radiator fans. I noticed today my fans were on. The car was warmed up but it wasn't hot weather or stuck in traffic. The only difference from normal was I was driving around with the climate control turned off. The reason I ask is I think it's the first time I've noticed the fans or more specifically heard them in any weather. Have had a smell of coolant coming from the car for a year or so but I'm not losing any coolant from the radiator top up tank and never had to top up. The air con isn't the coldest when it's on. Any words of wisdom would be appreciated

2. # ADS
    ADS

1st Gear

Status
    im the same but iv noticed iv a belt missing from the front pully so im thinking this has snapped at one point !!!

Audi Heaven

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Pipsqueak View Post
    Anyone know anything about radiator fans. I noticed today my fans were on. The car was warmed up but it wasn't hot weather or stuck in traffic. The only difference from normal was I was driving around with the climate control turned off. The reason I ask is I think it's the first time I've noticed the fans or more specifically heard them in any weather. Have had a smell of coolant coming from the car for a year or so but I'm not losing any coolant from the radiator top up tank and never had to top up. The air con isn't the coldest when it's on. Any words of wisdom would be appreciated
    Sounds like your fan assembly has had it. When they fail the fans just run fast in a fail safe mode. It's a common fault on the A3 and Golfs etc and lots of threads on here about it. About £300 to replace.
    Scott

Audi A3 Sportback 2.0T Quattro S-Line 2007 8P2
    Lava Grey, Exclusive Line Black/Silver Leather, Heated Seats, Bose, RNS-e, iPod, Auto Lights & Wipers, Interior Light Pack

Audi Heaven

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by wallace78 View Post
    im the same but iv noticed iv a belt missing from the front pully so im thinking this has snapped at one point !!!
    No belts drive the fans.... They are electric!
    Scott

Lava Grey, Exclusive Line Black/Silver Leather, Heated Seats, Bose, RNS-e, iPod, Auto Lights & Wipers, Interior Light Pack

1st Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by audicruiser View Post
    Sounds like your fan assembly has had it. When they fail the fans just run fast in a fail safe mode. It's a common fault on the A3 and Golfs etc and lots of threads on here about it. About £300 to replace.
    I was had read that when I googled it but was hoping for another possible cause.Think I'll call the AA. I've got that repair insurance with them where they pay the first £500 of any repair bill as long as their mechanic sees it before it goes to the garage. Cheers for taking the time to post

Audi Heaven

Status
    No problem, hope you get it sorted
    Scott