Drivers Door won't open... any ideas?

_GRP_

Q3 S-Line
Reaction score
With such lovely weather decided to give my car a good clean this afternoon.
Come to unlock the car (double click with keyfob) and all doors are unlocked apart from the drivers side.
Any ideas?

Can open from the inside once in using the passenger side door.
Not sure if it's anything related to washing the car.

Any help appreciated.
George

put your ear to the door where the catch is. can you hear the catch actuating when you press the button? put your ear to the passenger door.... does it sound the same? if you can and it does and then you need a new door catch as somethings broken within. meaning the actuator isnt connected to the mech anymore.

if you cant hear it then it might be a power supply or comms. problem.

Last edited:
Problem is the door card is stuck on with door closed, you maybe able to get the torx bolts of, then wiggle the card of by breaking a few plastic clips by the dash end, these can be replaced.

TBH the locks on the 8P are fairly robust, I've had some apart for research, there are 3 microswitches inside the lock itself which is bolted in place & that has a bar that links to the exterior handle & a wire that links to the interior handle, could be some water has got in & either ******** the pcb or some dirt has been pushed in & causing bad contact, hence why the unlock commands arent reaching, also interior/exterior unlock wont work if its stuck in lock position anyway.

Need the card of bottom line :)

Have you tried using the door handle?

Sorry, couldn't resist, I'll get me coat! :)

Problem is the door card is stuck on with door closed, you maybe able to get the torx bolts of, then wiggle the card of by breaking a few plastic clips by the dash end, these can be replaced.

TBH the locks on the 8P are fairly robust, I've had some apart for research, there are 3 microswitches inside the lock itself which is bolted in place & that has a bar that links to the exterior handle & a wire that links to the interior handle, could be some water has got in & either ******** the pcb or some dirt has been pushed in & causing bad contact, hence why the unlock commands arent reaching, also interior/exterior unlock wont work if its stuck in lock position anyway.

Need the card of bottom line :)

Thanks for the reply NHN.
I think it maybe something to do with the connecting rod, as the handle itself does not seem to have the same 'feel'
when lifting up compared to the others.... or would it feel this way as it's the most commonly opended door just lost it's factory feel?
Got a Haynes Manual but they rate removing the door card as quite a tricky job... is it? Don't want to risk breaking something, but don't want to pay anyone a load of money if it's easy enough job. What do you think?

hes already said he can open the drivers door from the inside with two pulls on the handle.

post up a picture of the door card? refresh my memory.

*edit* ah, no need..... the search function is your friend!
http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/new-a3-s3-sportback-8p-chassis/77472-how-door-card-removal.html

really is a good forum this you know!

youll have to do a how to for removing the catch......... that odd shaped plastic cover behind the card. guessing that pops out, then you'll have a wiring connection to the catch, a rod to the outside handle etc. then some spline/torx bolts holding it to the door.

one thing i dont know is if the window reg gets in the way of it coming out of the door?

changed one on a e91 3 series bmw recently with the same symtoms as this. but i had to unbolt part of the window reg to get it out of the door.

Last edited:
I read it as cant, oh well simple mistake.

Well if it wont open via the exterior handle, then it could just be the rod has come unhooked from the lock itself, its only held in place by a simple plastic piece with a fold over fixing, I would get a torch in there 1st before disconnecting & removing the lock.

Door card will be iirc 3 torx bolts, 2 behind the trim that just pulls of, 1 at bottom center, then from the bottom just get a finger round the edge & slowly prise it away from the door that has plastic clips on, once the bottom & sides have unpopped, then lift of up over the edge that hooked over top of half the door as such.

The kidney shaped plastic trim just needs manipulating so it unclips itself from the compression clips, then it can be slid down the interior handle wire out the way temporary or removed completely, that way you can see inside to see if the rod has come unclipped, if its in place, then unclip it, undo the 2 bolts on the side of the door, then angle the lock out to have a goosey inside it, tbh you can operate the lock without opening it up just to test functionality.

If you do open it then as I advised you'd find iirc 3 microswitches, could check all these aswell whilst you're in there.

Reg wont get in the way at all.

Thanks again for yout help guys.
To confirm I can open the door from the inside, just not using the door handle/lever when outside.
Looks like I'll have to remove the door card and take a look.