Nobody likes to see this

cwitcombe

Reaction score
Got stuck behind this yeterday, sad sight but what shocked me was that throughout the entire process of attaching the crane and the lifting and rather abrupt lowering of the car onto the truck at no point did the alarm go off! Is this normal? If my car got removed I would like to think at least the alarm would sound.....

4632-imag0688.jpg

I'd have thought alarm should have gone off???

Mine did on the Brownsea ferry which isn't exactly choppy water.

was the owner about? there is a button to allow the car to be towed without the alarm going off. If not then i don't know!

I know, I was thinking the same. Especially as they dropped it more than lowered the car onto the truck. Quite a slam and no alarm...

He must have had it switched off because mine went off a couple of times on the ferry to the Isle of Wight... Surely it would have gone off if the system was armed?

When I first got mine, I had a puncture and took it to get it repaired. When the chap had finished and dropped the jack down, I could hear an alarm going off and he had to say to me "hey, mate - you gonna turn that off" - I didn't even realise that it had an alarm!!!

I WOULD have expected the alarm to go off if the car was lifted up into the air like that!!

mine was the same, only did one push on the trolley jack and the alarm went off!!
Any idea where the button is to disable it? the TT has it on the drivers door but the S3 only has the interior sensor disable..

mine was the same, only did one push on the trolley jack and the alarm went off!!
Any idea where the button is to disable it? the TT has it on the drivers door but the S3 only has the interior sensor disable..
My S3 has two buttons on door - disable interior sensor and disable for towing.

Pressure washer sets mine off! Lol

Reactions: MrWhItEwOlF
I had 2 buttons on my 09 plate S3. on my 61 plate it's just the 1 button now.

just a guess but my S3 09 plate was manual. can DSG be towed in neutral, or does it need lifting as in the first post.

Manual - 2 buttons?

DSG- 1 Button?

Last edited by a moderator:
TBH its not very descriptive, but I think the switch does everything now, rather than the 2 options.

TBH its not very descriptive, but I think the switch does everything now, rather than the 2 options.

Yep that's right. From the manual:-

Press the button [on the end face of the drivers door] to deactivate the interior monitor and tow-away protection. The LED in the button will light up.
If you now lock the vehicle, the interior monitor and tow-away protection will remain deactivated until the next time a door is opened.

Also:
If you switch off the safelock mechanism (press lock on key twice within 2 seconds) the interior monitor and tow-away protection are automatically disabled.

Cool for once saves me getting handbook out lmfao.