New Head Unit Installed - No Medium Wave

SCFC_Messiah

Reaction score
I had a new head unit installed today, but only just realised that I'm not picking up any medium wave stations - you can hear them in the background, but there's too much interference. I'm picking up the FM stations no problem

I was getting medium wave on the OEM radio, and have received medium wave on this head unit when it was installed in my previous car

Any suggestions?

(Edit - Sorry, just realised this probably should have been put in the ICE section)

What aerial adaptor did you use? You need to adapt from FAKRA to DIN, and you need one with a signal booster, which you usually connect to the remote output on the Loom for the stereo.

No adapter, the cars aerial cable plugged straight into the back of the head unit!

Thats odd, it should have a fakra connection :S unless you've got an adaptor on their already that hasn't been connected to a power source. What stereo was in there previously? got any pics?

Ah ye, I think I have a connector like that left spare at the back. This is the type of connector currently plugged into my head unit:

88849019.jpg

I didn't fit the head unit myself by the way, I took it to a local installer. I'm presuming now that there is an adapter that I was unaware of.... and that he has used the wrong type?

there is an adapter for it that you use to get a better signal but your head unit can work without it but can't find all the signals

12v Car Audio Amplified Aerial Booster Adaptor AM FM | eBay

mine stopped working randomly and I found the power cable (blue) had come loose so just reconnected to a LIVE 12V connection and it worked again so it might be just come away if you noticed lately its loosing signal

MrWhItEwOlF

You probably have an adaptor from FAKRA to DIN, DIN then would plug into ur new stereo, if you say you've got that plug lying in the back somewhere then you should have two FAKRA connections, one of which is connected to the adaptor into your new stereo. You need the aerial adaptor i previously posted, if it already has this then it needs to be connected to a power source to work properly. I'd take it back to wherever you had the work done. Or if your local to SW London i'd happily help you out

I'd also add you should be prepared to spend upto but no more than £20 for the correct aerial adaptor.

My single din came as Messiah's picture shows as the OEM so only needed the part I said in my comment but i think the FAKRA to din is needed for the 2DIN OEM head units

My single din came as Messiah's picture shows as the OEM so only needed the part I said in my comment but i think the FAKRA to din is needed for the 2DIN OEM head units

If im right then all 8P2's came with double dins? I did an install on an 07 with a concert or a symphony not long ago that had a double din and the FAKRA connections.

Either way it needs an aerial signal booster just gotta find the right one, the place you had it installed from should know so just take it back and get them to sort it

Reactions: MrWhItEwOlF
Thanks both for taking the time to help me out

I went back to the installer today. He confirmed that I need a cable with in line signal booster, but he has none in stock and would struggle to get his hands on any within the next two weeks. He told me to go on eBay and pick one up myself.... Problem is, I'm still not sure what I need exactly (it's probably what I was advised to get from Sidhu above, but I don't want to get one until I know for sure it's the right cable)

Hoping these pics will help confirm it....

These two are presumably the cars aerial feeds. Only the lead with male type jack was plugged into my new head unit, the mustard coloured one was left spare :

scaled.php

Rear view of my new head unit. Aerial input in the bottom left obviously :

scaled.php

Struggle to get his hands on one? What a joke!

I think PC5-52 or pc5-90 both the same just depends on what connection you need on the end. Go to halfords, buy one, try it, if it doesnt work just return it. I can vaguely make out a blue/white wire from the loom (looks like an alpine/pioneer?) so connect it to that.

To be honest I got the feeling he couldn't be bothered with the hassle. It's a JVC unit by the way

I'll call into halfords tomorrow. Here's another view. Thanks again

imag0486a.jpg

Hmm while ur at it get urself some terminal connectors cos ur gna have to split that connection. Its the remote wire which is switching the amp on n off when the stereo/ignition is on. I normally use it for the power source for the signal booster. You should be fine using it for both ive done it before with no problems.

scaled.php

This is similer to mine but I notice you got a Double Din head unit which I would of thought comes with the antenna on the roof and the dual FARKA connection as Sidhu has said as standard. But im guessing what you need is the part I need for my head unit which is the bit between the arieal and that bit hes put on the end as thats where the signal booster goes. As for the yellow sqaure thats only for DIS display to show what FM channel or CD etc your using and I haven't used mine in ages and everything else works fine.

Hope that helps

I did have an OEM double din unit ye, but there's no antenna on the roof!

Thanks again both, I *think* I know what I need to get now

An update on this.... I went and bought a PC5-136 cable (seen in the link below) from Halfords and took it to the audio installer. It's the wrong cable. Apparently my car doesn't have any FAKRA connections

Halfords | Autoleads Car Audio Antenna Adaptor PC5-136

So I think I now need a PC5-90 cable

Halfords | Antenna Adaptors PC5-90 Signal Separation Filter ISO - DIN

The strange thing is, according to the Halfords computers my car should have FAKRA connections.... And from what I can gather online the PC5-90 was needed for the 8L A3s, not the 8P A3s..... So why does my 8P A3 have the old style antenna connections!?

Last edited:
This is y i was confused. I guess it just depends on the stereo and model and year. Pc5-90 should do the trick though

Thanks Sidhu, you've been a big help. I didn't have a clue what I wanted or needed at first but feel like I've learned something now. Haha

No worries matey. If uve got some insulate the connection u make with insulation tape to make sure it dont come apart. Theres a fair bit of space behind the stereo but the wires will still bunch up when u put the stereo back in. Can easily pull loose connections apart

Only the rns-e has always had the dual fakra, 03-late 06 the concert, symphony & chorus had 1 fakra in a mustard colour housing & 1 standard, hence the adapter used for conversion for rns-e, all head units late 06/07 onwards cars had the dual fakra at rear, hope that helps.

Last edited:
Thanks, I wondered why I didn't have the dual fakra. My cars a 56 plate so must've been amongst the last then

Anyway, the PC5-90 cable is what I needed and the reception is perfect now :)