unleaded/super unleaded ????

I oOEddOo I

Reaction score
Hi all,

I have a 59 2.0tfsi. Since i got it i have been using normal unleaded fuel
recently my friend told me i should try super/premium unleaded because it will gain abit of power (every little helps):p
So when is it the best time for me to do it ??? currently I have full tank of unleaded wonder if I mix it during half of tank ???

*My nearest fuel station is Tesco which they offer premium unleaded and i normally refuel once a week*

Thank you

i use super in my 1.6 and it gives me more mpg and a tad more power so i would do , tesco momentum is one of the best , i would use the exciting tank up then start on a fresh tank , but the car needs a while to learn the higher octane fuel

i have always used tesco 99 everytime i fill my s3, on my old 2.0t i used to use 95 and 99 it always felt a little more responsive with 99 and always got more miles to a tank, works out about the same but 99 is better for the car so i always fill up with that.

It get me a bit excited so I am gonna avoid putting fuel in Thursday once it hit red bar i am gonna fuel is that ok folks?

Remember it won't be instantaneous, it takes the ECU a good handful of miles to adapt to the new octane level, and the difference is small. The bigger your bhp and the more extreme the level of tune the more you might feel it. I'd say it's more urgency you'll notice, and a tad more MPG.

i only ever use tesco 99 or v-power,mainly as my cars are mapped on it but even on a standard car its better,it does take about 1/2 a tank though for the ecu to fully adjust the cells (timing and fuelling) in the map to suit the fuel,pop to halfords and get some fuel system cleaner too if your cars got over 30k on it and has been run on 95 all the time

2.0T here and use tesco 99 was using vpower but tbh i couldn`t tell the diff between them..if i fall short and use 95 i can tell its more sluggish but i`m also on stg 1 remap. cars had nothing but 99 now in last 6 month

The only diffrence I see is that Shell Diesel v-power produces less smoke under acceleration.

The op is asking about petrol, no need for talk about smoking tractors!

Im running a 2.0T and found I always got 3-4mpg less on momentum 99 so have gone back to 95 RON.

The handbook states you should use super unleaded (min 97RON) to get the quoted bhp from the engine, so if you're using 95RON expect less power!

I had the same experience with Tesco 99RON so I stick to Shell V-power now.

Also, it is advised to replace your fuel filter annualy (I don't think Audi quote service intervals on this item). A car with a blocked fuel filter and running 95RON could be as much as 15% down on power.

HTH

Some of the long term members here will remember i did a series of rolling road tests with 95 and 99 Tesco. My old 3.2 produced exactly 10bhp more with 99.
Worth having but as it was a 250 bhp car it was really only about 3.5% so not really noticeable on the road.
As Warren rightly says the ECU will adapt to the higher octane but that also says it has adapted to the lower as well. maybe not completely so you have to ask is 4p a ltr extra worth it ? Its about £2 a tank. Try it and see.

I am now on my 4th tank of Momentum from Tesco's not sure of the difference but for sake of a few quid and looking after your engine I reckon its worth it :)

I'm not sure I buy the whole momentum 99 thing, the main additive is ethanol which is cheaper and less energy dense than petrol.