Potential A3 3.2 OWNER-SERVICING costs

markos72

Reaction score
As posted in introductions section I am going to look at a 56 plate A3 3.2V6 Quattro on Monday and am curious about servicing and maintenance costs(main dealer and independent).
Any info would be much appreciated :)

Wrong forum but I will help you anyway. Not much different to any other audi quattro tbh (i.e. quattro servicing will be another £100-150 every 3years/40k miles). The usual maintenance will cost the same, with the exception of needing 2 more ignition coil packs when they go.

The only big expense which is massively costly is the timing chain, which is an engine out job, which would be anything from £500-1000. Which considering only needs doing every 100k miles or so, which is roughly every two cambelt changes for a normal motor, the costs are pretty much like for like in the long term.

The most expensive thing you should budget for is fuel, better get used to 25mpg. £20/100miles, you had better really like the sound of that VR6, its gonna cost ya! :)

Come on over to the 8p's. You'll love the v6, I do. But be aware you'll pay £460 road tax, and I average low 20's mpg. Also if you're planning on tuning you'll need lots of spare cash, and might be better off getting a smaller engined turbo. Don't let it put you off though, I love mine and I tend to drive most places with my foot and window down!

Much the same as any A3 TBH. Extra ltr of oil and a couple of extra plugs. Of more concern would be where you take it. Audi dealers can range from £100 to £250 for an oil service. Main service ? skys the limit, shop about or do it yourself.
Haldex at 20k intervals and Gearbox at 40k intervals (oil)

Make sure it will hold 2k rpm in neutral smoothly. Ask for a fault code print out. If it says anything about cam set point not reached walk away or better still run away.

Cheers-no real plans for any tuning to be honest,and with regards to road tax,guess I can put some money away every month to pay for it.Looking forward to my test drive on Monday.

Cheers-no real plans for any tuning to be honest,and with regards to road tax,guess I can put some money away every month to pay for it.Looking forward to my test drive on Monday.
When I test drove mine I'd come from a 2.0 focus, I was that shocked by the throttle response that I pulled out of the garage like a kangaroo! I've had mine just over 6 months now, and the only think I want to do is enhance the v6 roar with a filter and exhaust.

As said, not much difference on servicing costs tbh, the biggest problem is road tax and peoples perception that the 3.2 is non pc!.
It is a very underestimated car and an absolute pleasure to drive, whatever way that is:racer:
Haldex and S-tronic changes are at 40k and can add up if servicing at the same time.
Timing chains on the 3.2 are a lifetime fitment, but do cost anywhere from £1.5k to £3.5k to fix if faulty, however on a 56 there shouldn't be a problem and as Paddy says, check the idle at 2k when warmed up. If lumpy then it needs the software update.
MPG is surprisingly good for what it is, depending on how and where you use it, I'm finding my S3 only very slightly better.
I miss mine a lot, the V6 does get under your skin!

Last edited:
Strange thing Ju because i love the S3 but the 3.2 was almost as good. better in some ways. :)

Let us know how you get on with the test drive.

hanks gys,all info gratefully received.
Wez,will defo let you know.;)
Ju,its a briiliant red one I'm going to look at,love the pic of your S3 and the wheels really suit it.

Cheers, look even nicer in the flesh!
I was never a fan of solid colours tbh, but it's a nice red that polishes up well.
Is it the s-tronic/dsg that your looking at as that is sublime with the 3.2?

No,it's the 6-speed manual.57000 miles and just been serviced.Extras include the exclusive line package(nappa leather seats etc etc etc)if that means anything to anyone lol.
Same reg as my Mondeo ST TDCi,but just fancied a change-still practical for the kids too.

I would honestly try a dsg as well as the manual. I know they are not everyone's cup of tea, but if you forget about the preconceived ideas of an auto and actually drive one, they are an awesome bit of kit and also better on fuel!

coming form owning 8 skylines ( a couple at 500 bhp) amongst other fast cars i love the 3.2 (mines manual),its a bit slow for me so im going for a supercharger at some point after the supporting modifications have been done,i do find it about the same cost wise to run as a 500 bhp GTR skyline though,these things are not cheap lol