Volks AutosSky Insurance

Thread: Alloy Cleaner

Reverse Gear

Status

Alloy Cleaner

Can anyone recommend a good alloy wheel cleaner. I've got an S-line A3 TDI with the 18" RS6 style alloys and they look great when clean. The outside surface is pretty easy to wipe down and the brake dust doesn't really stick, don't know if they have been coated with something or if they are just like that. The inside areas are much harder to sort out though and its difficult to get in there.

Please tell me there is some spray on wash off wonder product out there. I always wondered how my old VW dealer used to get the alloys so clean on my old Golf GTI. They looked almost new after it had been in the garage.

2. # ADS
    ADS

Ibis S3 Fan Club

Status

Re: Alloy Cleaner

I always prefer the preventative aproach. From New building up many layers of wheel wax and washing with soapy water regularly. If weather really bad then a quick jet wash to get salt etc. off quickly. A soapy cloth is all I need to make them shiny each time [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

imported_Wicked666

I use autoglym - spray on, 'agitate' then rinse off. Sometimes brake dust is very hard to get off. This was on my old car though which I never waxed.

3rd Gear

Status

Wheel cleaners can be very aggressive, if used regularly they will affect the surface finish of the wheel. Also be careful using them on tarmac drives, it will ruin them.

I would recommend Turtle wax wheel cleaner, but mix it 50 / 50 with water, spray on leave for a few minutes, agitate with an Autoglym wheel cleaning brush then wash with car shampoo. The only sure way of keeping the insides clean is to struggle betweem wheel and brake at normal car cleaning times then every now and then remove each wheel and clean. But it is worth using wheel wax or similar to build up a protective coat, then the brake dust comes off easier. The killer for wheels is brake dust and water ...... so make sure you keep them clean in the winter. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cry.gif[/img]

Uber Post Whore

Status

As Japper says, apply a barrier then when need cleaning, use an alloy cleaner.

These guys do a complete set which is great.

Muc-off

Status

I've used the muc-off kit (got it from www.cleanandshiny.co.uk - you can get a discount...) and it is pretty good.

I normally just use MCS clean diluted about 20% solution - 80% water. If theres any stubborn marks I use a little bit of wonder wheels. But as Steeve says prolonged use makes the wheel finish look dull

J.

6th Gear

Status

Regardless of what people think/guess might happen,I can confirm that 3 years of regular(ish) use of 'Wonder Wheels' (excellent stuff) on my A4 did not affect them in any way,other than making them nice and shiny for little effort.

They were not dulled in any way.

Perhaps those that complain about 'dullness' are leaving it on too long. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/noidea.gif[/img]

Status

Perhaps some peoples idea of clean and shiny is different from others... [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

6th Gear

Status

[ QUOTE ]
    Perhaps some peoples idea of clean and shiny is different from others... [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Well,that's true I suppose.
    I like a clean car but I'm not 'anal' about it. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

5th Gear

Status

fight fight fight!!!!!

i use wonder wheels. never shook it at all and then when using the dreggs it started hissing on my wheels!!! i used some of the spray on simoniz wheel cleaner and though that was good enough. best way is prob to buy a load of sponges in bulk, cut them in quarters and then clean each time with a sponge! it does come off just wrecks it, but then chuck it!

Post Whore

Status

Anal is where your neighbour is washing his car in the rain then knocks to say can you move your cat from under the car as I dont want him getting wet.

Post Whore

Status

So Im like here pudy cat my neighbour dont want you getting wet under the car so stand in the rain instead, much drier out here.

6th Gear

Status

'Anal' is admitting you have different sizes of sponges for cleaning different parts of the ENGINE BAY ! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/noidea.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked2.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/froggie_red.gif[/img]

1st Gear

Status

[ QUOTE ]
    'Anal' is admitting you have different sizes of sponges for cleaning different parts of the ENGINE BAY !

[/ QUOTE ] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh_roll.gif[/img]

i feel guilty now for ripping the p!ss out of my brother for driving 15 miles to get a polishing cloth!

I've always used Simoniz Liquid Diamond on my alloys. I clean them with this when they are new and every 6 months or so and just wash them in between. They always clean up OK. I generally use a brush on the tyres and the basic surface of the wheels and a small sponge in the gaps. I usually keep my cars about 3 years and the wheels look just as good at the end of the 3 years as when I collected it.

Reverse Gear

Status

Thanks for all the advice.

Status

[ QUOTE ]
    'Anal' is admitting you have different sizes of sponges for cleaning different parts of the ENGINE BAY ! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/noidea.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked2.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/froggie_red.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Bit a lovely shiny engine bay....

Status

Or too much time on my hands...

Uber Post Whore

Status

[ QUOTE ]

Or too much time on my hands...

[/ QUOTE ]

yep, defo too much time on your hands MB. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif[/img]