HID KIT Confusion.................?

Jack_tdi

Reaction score
Hello All

Just signed up to this forum today iv had my 2006 A3 for a month now and miss my HID's i had in my corsa. My Audi has normal filament lamps and i feel the vision just isnt as good.

I have read about the after market HID kits on the likes of Ebay blowing window wiper motors

i have read a few topics and found people talking about these........D1S Xenon HID Bulbs

I have a few Questions.....

How does the Aftermarket HID kits blow wiper motors......???

and are the sets in the link above going to do the same thing.....? or are they for cars with HID as standard....? and will they fit if i bought some.....?

Thanks in advance Jack

Those and other D1S HID bulbs are OEM fitment, so they won't work with aftermarket HID kits unless you are very handy with electronics!

Nobody seems to give a proper answer as to why the motors blow on the A3 when using aftermarket kits, some blow instantly, some take a while to blow, then some kits claim to solve the issue (one is a HID kit from Spain called Welldone) completely.

The wipers share the same earthing point as the headlights as far as I know so this send spikes down to them and blows them up, some last 5 mins and some last few months, but I wouldn't ever have them, think of the other drivers you are blinding, plus they are now illegal.
Just buy updated bulbs instead or go down oem route and get xenons fitted but this isn't cheap.

the headlights share the same earth point as the wiper motors....???

surely then if you take the negative from the ballast and bolt it to earth (the chassis) this would solve the issue.......

and what is the difference between the ebay ones and the OEM ones surely they will spike too.....?

Many people on this forum and other sites had problems with their wiper motor after fitting aftermarket HID kits. It is your car and your money. We are just trying to help.

im not doubting any ones knowledge or experience i am just curious as to why this is an issue and why it hasnt been solved....
what exactly happens to the motor ....?
is the wiper motor a servo....?

when you turn them on they power spike the wipers causing the wiper ecu to blow i think , I've been stung by this so have many others in short don't do it the only way is to buy oem

If its the bi xenons u will need well over a grand!!!!

stick to the halogens then just wait and buy an s3 if i want xenon/HID :)
id still like to know if this could be solved though just because im curious now lol

I have 3 sets of bixenons for sale, 2 sets of bixenons & 1 set of bixenon adaptives, PM if interested.

Remember that when installing the OEM headlights the car is coded to tell it that it has xenon and not halogen which is why it wont blow the wipers. where as the hid kits just replace the halogen bulbs but do not operate properly on the given voltage.

sounds like its more hassle and more money than its worth im just gonna stick to my halogens get soem whiter ones maybe....

I just installed hids for my fog lights on my white Audi a4 2012. FIrst of all, the hid kit that I installed is a 55w canbus 8000k. Installation is easy and should take you max 30 minutes to complete the installation. Behind the bumper, where the wheels are, you need to remove the 2 screws and then you can directly get your hand to the fog lights. Once you reach the bulb installation take 5 minutes. You connect the hid kit together and the you connect the hid kit to the factory harness. My hid kit cost me 110$ shipping included and the kit also come with a lifetime warranty. I attach some picture of my xenon lights on my fog lights. If anyone have any question on the installation or where i got my hid kit..... PM ME
i took 4 pictures late last night:
audihidkit1.jpg

audihidkit2.jpg

audihidkit3.jpg

audihidkit4.jpg

Has anyone tried retrofitting different projectors altogether into the headlight? There are some superior projectors out there for a fraction of the price bixenons go for.

Definitely don't install HID's!!! I have a 07 sportback and after only 1 week of stupidly installing some, not only have they blown the motor but also another part ( not sure what yet as I still haven't got the car back). £560 it's going to cost me...!!!!! ABSOLUTLEY WOUNDED.

Definitely don't install HID's!!! I have a 07 sportback and after only 1 week of stupidly installing some, not only have they blown the motor but also another part ( not sure what yet as I still haven't got the car back). £560 it's going to cost me...!!!!! ABSOLUTLEY WOUNDED.
ouch what else has blow bud , mine just blew the wiper motor luckily and cost me £370 to fix , i don't understand why people are still trying to fit these they are well known for blowing wipers never doing it again to my car thats for dam sure

Does the kit include the necessary auto-levelling and headlamp washers. If not the car would be illegal.
thers a few cars with xenon/hid as standard but no light washer

clio 172
evo 8

iv had a little look at some pics of an evo x and didnt notice any wahser either

Will they Fail an MOT????

im going to try and make a loom ill report when iv finished :)

iv knocked this "project" on the head. im just making do with halogens cant be bothered with any hassle plus im trying to save for a house so dont need a massive bill to repair the motor :D

thers a few cars with xenon/hid as standard but no light washer

clio 172
evo 8

iv had a little look at some pics of an evo x and didnt notice any wahser either

Will they Fail an MOT????

A clio 172 and evo 8 dont have xenon headlights as standard, they may well have been an optional extra and people have retrofitted them without the washers. Also there are a lot of cars with projector headlights which still have halogen bulbs like the facelifted evo 8, 2008 megane, 2007 vectra etc etc.
Many people get taken in by the if it passed the mot it must be legal theory but officially this is not the case.

Evo ten has headlight washers

I just read on wikipedia that 8 and 9 mr editions have hids
But as far as im aware no washers....

Last edited:
Evo ten has headlight washers

I just read on wikipedia that 8 and 9 mr editions have hids
But as far as im aware no washers....

If its a uk spec car then if it has xenon headlights the it will have washers as uk cars have to meet vosa requirements. An evo mr version might have xenon headlights but it will also have washers

iv knocked this "project" on the head. im just making do with halogens cant be bothered with any hassle plus im trying to save for a house so dont need a massive bill to repair the motor :D

If you have halogens the best option to get more light is just to go for uprated bulbs. Osram and Philips both do suitable bulbs and these do not cause any problems with the wiring and do not require washers or auto-levelling and the car remains legal.