interested in a3 tdi few questions

bigal23

Reaction score
interested in a a3 s-line tdi 170bhp quattro and having trouble finding answers and views thought i should post here see if you guys can help please.

:is getting a quattro worth it over a 2wd? views plz
and does quattro get more power down easier?

:is the 170 have alot of mechanical diffences?

:heard there is a oil pump issue anyone had problems?

:how can you tell difference from s-line to sport or someone who has just altered trim to look like s-line?

:whats the highest milage should i consider as i have seen a 170 quattro on 149,000miles should this one be avoided?

:is there any general issues with engine or bodywork i should check, look for and be aware of before buying?

thank you for you time hope i hear some replys soon

Can`t answer all but a couple

Atm i have a 2.0T quattro and yes it helps to put the power down if you looking for remap etc car feels very stable but will cost you slightly more in petrol not much mind and a shallow boot to allow for the haldex how much im not to sure

not saw much about the oil pump issue tbh

guess its hard to tell of someone lowerd it and badged it up as people do. sline will have badges on the boot side and steering wheel most of the time and at times embossed on the seats

i heard the engines are good for 200k plus miles but guess that`s a wild guess by anyone depends how serviced treated etc

Turbo can be quite common

interested in this thread my self as im looking for a tdi A3 for the mrs and these are just things i stumbled across on forum and owning my A3 apart from that lovely cars there well built for sure as i said i want another for the mrs as i cant see any other car i want to buy now

interested in a a3 s-line tdi 170bhp quattro and having trouble finding answers and views thought i should post here see if you guys can help please.

Yes deffo, quattro isn't a contstant 4wd though.

Yes it does, as above though it's not constant all wheel drive, it sends power to the wheels which have the most grip.

Turbo and injectors + a couple of other bits.

No but i have a 140 and never heard of this.

:how can you tell difference from s-line to sport or someone who has just altered trim to look like s-line?

Look on the log book for S-LINE, usually on a S-Line the bumpers are different, S-line badges are plastered everywhere inside and out oh an look for downward facing tail pipes at the rear, that's an indication that it could be a 140, the massive give away to tell if it's a 140 or 170 is the boot sticker in the spare wheel well. 103kW is a 140 TDI and 125kW is a 170 TDI. Don't be fooled into buying a 140 as a 170. This happened to me and i ended up getting a full refund.

:whats the highest milage should i consider as i have seen a 170 quattro on 149,000miles should this one be avoided?

I would personally.

:is there any general issues with engine or bodywork i should check, look for and be aware of before buying?

Turbo issues are commonly documented on the net, also on the 170 injector issues are common too, although Audi are recalling them (do a search for this).

:thumbsup:

Last edited by a moderator:

Hi, welcome to ASN. See that the boys are helping you out already. Hope you enjoy the forum. :)

what do you mean its not constant 4 wheel drive? thought t was 70% front 30% rear drive in a quattro?

all the quattro 170bhp are 100,000+ miles but most are ex company motorway miles so all been serviced well and on time should these ones be ok as am really struggling to find low milage ones i.e sub 80/70,000 miles

Copied and pasted from the web mate.

Power passes through all three Torsen differentials to the wheels equally when the Audi Quattro is driving on a straight, smooth surface. The power is divided when there is more resistance on one wheel than another. For example, when the front passenger-side wheel edges off the road onto stiff gravel it puts more resistance against the wheel than the front driver-side wheel. This causes a shift in the power being sent to both wheels by the front-axle Torsen differential, sending more power to the driver-side wheel to compensate. Likewise, if both front wheels were to go off-road, the Torsen differential would send more power to the rear axle than the front.

Here's another way of putting it mate.

This is an "on-demand" all wheel drive system. Under normal driving conditions, only one axle is powered. When wheel slipping occurs (the driving driveshaft rotates faster than the driven driveshaft), a multiplate hydraulic clutch, viscous coupling, or other similar traction device locks and engages another axle. The torque gets transferred to another axle. As soon as the difference in the front and rear axle speeds is eliminated, the device unlocks and the vehicle goes back to the two-wheel drive mode.

Regarding the mileage, if they have been serviced and looked after then i don't see a problem, i was just saying that personally i wouldn't buy a car on 150K miles but that's just me.

I bought my 140 tdi on 110k, and had a limited service history. After getting it serviced(cambelt, water pump, oil changes etc) its been perfect to drive. No major issues.

I would check the turbo, they are common faults and expensive to replace.

cheers guys. how would i check the turbo should i be listening for a ceratin noise or something?

cheers guys. how would i check the turbo should i be listening for a ceratin noise or something?
Excessive wine is an indication, mine wines a bit when it's first started in a morning but once warm you only hear turbo whistle.

Constant wining is bad, that said people have posted on forums saying that they have had the wining for 50K miles and the turbo is fine.

Limp mode can be a sign of a goosed turbo.

Anyone got a DSG car, is it any good compared to manul and does it down shift on its own?

Last edited: