Sensor faults?!?

munchkincoupe

Reaction score
Hello

Just wanted to pick your brains please.

I've had my 2004 BKD 2.0tdi A3 for 2 years now. It has always been a slightly slow starter (whether hot or cold) taking a max of 3 seconds on rare occasions. The radiator fan comes on sometimes as soon as I start the car. The aircon has never been really cold so I went to a recommended Aircon engineer who tried to regas + dye but couldn't find a specific fault but it still won't work properly. Their next fix was to replace the whole aircon unit - £480 inc fitting and see if it cures it (which they weren't sure it would) - with money back if it doesn't! I wanted to get the car mechanically A1 so I wasn't that bothered about the aircon so have left it for now

Took the car for a remap with Awesome GTI and they ran a diagnostic prior to remap with VCDS (release 11.11.0) that showed 19463 (camshaft position sensor G40 no signal), 18617 (engine coolant temp sensor G83 signal too high - intermittent) and 18359 (radiator fan 2 V177 - movement restricted / jammed - intermittent). They did the remap and cleared the faults but said it may not run very well with the faults. I've never had a problem or engine light on prior to the map or since - the only symptoms still are occasional fan on and occasional slow start. The drive of the car has significantly improved with the remap so it seems to be working ok.

Since the remap the car runs perfectly as always. It showed up an early clutch slip though so I fitted a new clutch and DMF. I got the new sensors (camshaft + engine coolant temp) fitted and faults cleared again. The radiator fan still kicks in at max speed at random times (even when just started). The engine temp stays at 90, it never overheats. The car is still a slow starter. Got VCDS checked again today and all 3 of the faults are still showing. I spoke to my mechanic (has a mod'd Bora) and he says he can't work out what the problem is but that the car is running well.

Am I missing something somewhere or shouldn't I be bothered about it?
Is it worth replacing fan 2 as it has a sensor too?
Are the faults a sign of something else?

Just want to get the car straight as I will be looking to sell it in the next few months so get a 4 door A3 and don't want to pass bugs on!

Thanks for any help

The fan issue also showed up when my turbo was on way out, but this also had some overboost errors, did they change both of the coolant sensors or just the 1?

Just the ones with fault codes I think - will check with them in the morning

thanks