What do buyers ask for when your selling a car?

Sheikh

Reaction score
Basically,

Put my dad's Q7 on pistonheads for him and this morning i had a woman e-mail me, so far she's asked for the following.

1. Current mileage
2. V5 registration document serial number (The V5 serial number should be 2 letters followed by 7 numbers on the front page)
3. V5 registration document issue date
4. MOT certificate number
5. when was the car last serviced and where?
6. VIN Number

Now personally I didn't feel comfortable telling someone whom I have never spoken to all of them details!

My question to you guys is, is this totally reasonable and am I just being paranoid?

Thanks

Zo

Wow tell jack s..t mate , thats to much info there asking , remember your the boss here not them,,mileage ,price ,condition,, ok when would you like to view it...

Sounds shifty to me.
I would only tell them the mileage.

All the other info could be used to clone your dads car.

Definitely too much info there.

But I suppose if they came to view the car, would you deny them viewing the V5 and relevant vehicle documents? I know I probably wouldnt...

They don't need to see the V5 until they've handed money over though surely?

unless they doubt the amount of owners the car has had, that could be settled with a quick glance at the front.

Yeah dude, don't go giving her all that information (if it IS indeed a female). I would only be happy to pass on the mileage, ..any legit check (HPI etc) can be done without any of that info, all they need is the reg number. PH is notoriously full of would be scammers. :( xx

I wouldn't be giving all that info. Id just tell them to come check it out. It would be way to easy to make up fake docs with them details. Mileage, condition, service details. That should be it really.

They don't need to see the V5 until they've handed money over though surely?

unless they doubt the amount of owners the car has had, that could be settled with a quick glance at the front.

This is true, though if I asked to have a view of the V5 to check the owners and they were deliberately trying to hide a certain part of the form I would suspect something dodgy, and then the tables have turned... very tricky one tbh.

Maybe she just wants it to check the MOT? When you check the MOT online you need the V5 serial number...

But I certainly think the manner in which she has asked the questions without prompting a viewing or having any previous talks sounds a bit shifty to me..

Just reply asking them to ring you to discuss the vehicle, if they dont, then you know they're not serious.

Cheers for the reply guys and girls. Will let you know how it goes!

Hi,

As they say "talk is cheap..show me the money"

Mot and h p I can all be done online,or maybe will have to tavel a long way and not want to waste a journey.....but if they do pick holes in the car don,t take it to heart...it's just a game...and always make it clear " sold as seen "

Just remember you don't have to sell to her....good luck.

I get all that info after I've test driven and looked over a car so that I can get a full check that comes with a guarantee whilst I'm still there and before handing deposit over - wouldn't ask for it all before viewing though!

I've asked for the V5 document number in the past. In fact, I did when I bought my A3 a few days ago

With the V5 number and car registration you can go here - Motoring : Directgov - MOT status check request - and check the results of previous MOTs. I mainly use it to check the claimed mileage rings true through out its MOT history. As well as mileage it also lists any past failures, the reasons for the failures, and any advisories the car has been issued

1. Current mileage - reasonable
2. V5 registration document serial number (The V5 serial number should be 2 letters followed by 7 numbers on the front page) - why do they need this?
3. V5 registration document issue date - why do they need this?
4. MOT certificate number - they can look at it online when they come and view it if they doubt it
5. when was the car last serviced and where? - when is fine along with "where" as in audi/independant. Don't tell them which one though, again it doesn't matter to them.
6. VIN Number - hell no. They can have that when they buy it.

They're more than welcome to look at the V5 and compare the VIN - IN FRONT OF YOU if they want. I wouldn't leave them alone with it though, a mobile phone is as good as a scanner.

If your dad is desperate to sell, I'd go via WeBuyAnyCar or to a dealer, you'll get less but a safe sale. If he's willing to hold out, then retain control at the risk of losing a sale. Better to be safe, IMO.

The thing is they're are many time wasting sellers who tried to hide faults - the MOT history shows every warning and fail your car ever has, and is a great for knowing what to look for. The other details can be used to check HPI/Stolen etc.

For a buyer, it is a pain - if anything shows up I would have wasted my time if it would have been found out before. Many sellers just blag things - I've seen a cut and shut before, with the seller saying everything to get out of difficult questions, ended with a wasted journey to London.

I don't blame you for questioning the info, but it would be nice to know why *they* want it - if they state the reasons above, fine and you can print the MOT history and email that to them. The HPI thing needs to be done there.

Another thing I 'may' do is ring the garage who serviced it if it is a main dealer (depends on age of car though).