A3 1.6 TDI S-Tronic MPG - what have you got?

mikesimbo

Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm sure this has been covered before, but I can't find much about the 1.6tdi using search!

I was wondering what average figures people are getting using either 1.6tdi or 2.0tdi engines with s-tronic.

I have a new 2012 1.6tdi S-Tronic which has a quoted combined mpg figure of 65.7. Now I don't expect to get that figure but maybe low to mid 50's, and I'm getting no where near, with mainly motorway driving at 65-70mph and never putting my foot down, I'm getting 44mpg. Pretty rubbish!

I know engines take a while to loosen up but I can't imagine it improving by 10-20mpg! And a friend who has a manual 2.0tdi which is 8 years old is getting an average of 57.8mpg without even trying I drive economically! Unbelievable!

I'd love to hear what you guys and girls are getting!

Cheers,
Mike.

Got this on a 50mile M25 run yesterday doing speeds I do not wish to discuss and also being stuck in traffic. 55+ is quite possible when sticking to the speed limit.

2012-03-06164740.jpg

Got this on a 50mile M25 run yesterday doing speeds I do not wish to discuss and also being stuck in traffic. 55+ is quite possible when sticking to the speed limit.

2012-03-06164740.jpg

See that's what I expect but I have 44mpg!! What engine/gearbox do you have?

8 year old manual 2.0 TDi 140. I usually get about 50 give or take a few mpg.

I get about the same from my 4 yr old Golf 2.0 Tdi. 50+ is very easy.
The wife has a 1.9 tdi A3 105bhp and all the bumpf says it should be more economical. However it is just plain under powered in a car this heavy and we get less MPG in this than the larger and supposed thirstier 2.0

Im afraid to say my guess will be the S-Tronic.. My DSG gets 5mpg less than the same car with a Manual box.

My mate took me for a drive in his 2012 Leon 1.6TDI Manual last night and he was getting 55mpg and only had 120 miles on the clock..

I can easily get mid 50s when on a longer journey, and the average shown on the DIS is pretty accurate compared to my manually recorded figures. It took a little while from new to get to this level, and I've currently done just over 14,000 miles.

Best mpg I've had was over 180 miles from home to Skye - mixture of A-Roads, and traffic and the DIS showed 60.1 mpg - That was in the middle of summer, 20+ degrees with no aircon on (I had the roof down)

However, my current overall average is mid 40s, but this includes short distance runs, along with more spirited driving, so probably not too bad - but still some way off the official 60+

1.6TDI with manual gearbox, by the way.

Hi Mike! i've finally founs someone else on here with the 1.6 TDI! mines a manual though. IIRC last time i looked at my MPG figures it was somewhere in the mid 40's when i wasn't pushing the car - which i thought was quite depressing considering its supposed to be the most economical option! so i just put the DIS to a big speedo after a week of ownership and haven't looked at my MPG since! I'll try to get some readings for you when I can, but i'm fortunate enough to only live about 5 miles from work and tend to only drive on motorways at the weekend when i visit my weekend home (lakeside shopping centre)
Hi all,

I'm sure this has been covered before, but I can't find much about the 1.6tdi using search!

I was wondering what average figures people are getting using either 1.6tdi or 2.0tdi engines with s-tronic.

I have a new 2012 1.6tdi S-Tronic which has a quoted combined mpg figure of 65.7. Now I don't expect to get that figure but maybe low to mid 50's, and I'm getting no where near, with mainly motorway driving at 65-70mph and never putting my foot down, I'm getting 44mpg. Pretty rubbish!

I know engines take a while to loosen up but I can't imagine it improving by 10-20mpg! And a friend who has a manual 2.0tdi which is 8 years old is getting an average of 57.8mpg without even trying I drive economically! Unbelievable!

I'd love to hear what you guys and girls are getting!

Cheers,
Mike.

Hi mate

I’ve got the 2.0tdi 140hp s-tronic, my figures are hammer the Sh*t out of it,and it drops just below 30mpg, normal with putting my foot down here and there45mpg, drive as eco as possible 59-65mpg. Love the car so troquey going forremap on the 24th can’t wait, love engine lovely car not complaints.

I get 50+ in my 2.0 170 S-tronic.

Give it a bit of time to loosen it up and don't spank it from cold either.

If I get pretty nipy off the lights I average around 40mpg.

Hi Mike! i've finally founs someone else on here with the 1.6 TDI! mines a manual though. IIRC last time i looked at my MPG figures it was somewhere in the mid 40's when i wasn't pushing the car - which i thought was quite depressing considering its supposed to be the most economical option! so i just put the DIS to a big speedo after a week of ownership and haven't looked at my MPG since! I'll try to get some readings for you when I can, but i'm fortunate enough to only live about 5 miles from work and tend to only drive on motorways at the weekend when i visit my weekend home (lakeside shopping centre)

Thanks for all the replies!

Well I'm glad it isn't just me! As I said I didn't expect the full 65 or anywhere near but low 40's is depressing! :(

I will do a 56mph test for 3 miles and see what I get :p

It's a French car and cars in general are so damn expensive over there, there was a special offer on the 1.6 so I went for that instead of 2.0! (it was less than half of the monthly payments on a 2.0!!!) so I hope I learn to like it! Love the S-Tronic though and would love to try it on a 170 2.0! Maybe in 3 years!! :p

Well I've only had my 2.0 TDI 140 for a couple of weeks but with a mixture of steady and shall we say slightly more enjoyable driving I'm currently averaging around 57mpg according to the DIS. This is mainly motorway driving mind you and I suspect the accuracy of the DIS leaves something to be desired. That said I've just passed half a tank and I've done about 380 miles so looks pretty good so far!

Well I've only had my 2.0 TDI 140 for a couple of weeks but with a mixture of steady and shall we say slightly more enjoyable driving I'm currently averaging around 57mpg according to the DIS. This is mainly motorway driving mind you and I suspect the accuracy of the DIS leaves something to be desired. That said I've just passed half a tank and I've done about 380 miles so looks pretty good so far!

That's quite annoying :weight_lift2: lol

Lol sorry about that :)

Have to to say though, the one thing I find about driving the Audi is that its so much more enjoyable to drive than my old crappy diesel I can see the balance between economical driving and enjoyable driving tipping to the latter more and more. Will be interesting to see what the mpg levels out at after I've had it a few months.

The 2nd half of the tank always seems to go quicker than the first. Must have a tapered tank or something?

The 2nd half of the tank always seems to go quicker than the first. Must have a tapered tank or something?

Actually you are probably correct, most cars I've had have been pretty much the same. I will post back when I get down to the bottom of the tank and see what mileage I've managed then. Might take the opportunity to do a brim test as well and see how accurate the DIS is performing for future reference.

I'm also a bit disappointed with my MPG, I have a 2.0 140 s-tronic and only only get mid 40's. Strangely enough when i was in a rush last week and gave it some welly to get to work on time the DIS showed mid 50's! (this was on country lanes, 10 miles).

My previous diesels have been peugeot's, 1.6 110 hdi (remapped to approx 150bhp) and that returned mid 50's all day long no matter how i drove it! (not noticeably slower than the A3 either!)

I'm quite interested in this thread as i've always wondered how different 'real world' driving mpg is compared to these published figures. I'm ordering a 2.0TDI 140 cabrio quite soon which has a quoted urban mpg of 49.6. Urban is def the most relevent figure for me because, after a week of school and work runs in southampton I've averaged only 18mph!

In my current car, a Peugeot 308 2.0HDI I get an average of 34.5mpg urban compared to the published 39.2, so I'm hoping the A3 will give me an extra 10mpg. That said the 308 has a published combined mpg of 57.6 and after 3.5 years of ownership I can say I've never even got into the 50's on long motorway trips. The problem with the 308 is that you have to drive at below 70mph to get the mpg above 45 whereas the previous Golf and Saab 93 I owned could both be driven faster on motorways and return 50+mpg.

I've a 08 170 dsg .
Averaging 38 on dis . reckon more like 33/35 when worked out on fill ups.
previous owner (uncle ) got 48 average on dis. mostly motorway for him but he drove like a madman most of time.
My miles are basically very hilly b roads. i got car after a major service and all injectors changed on recall.
Obviously didn't expect to get same mpg as him but pretty disappointed to say the least.
Rest of car is great tho

Got 47 MPG on the way home from Uni today whilst toying with an E250CDi and just generally driving like I stole it.

I've a 08 170 dsg .
Averaging 38 on dis . reckon more like 33/35 when worked out on fill ups.
previous owner (uncle ) got 48 average on dis. mostly motorway for him but he drove like a madman most of time.
My miles are basically very hilly b roads. i got car after a major service and all injectors changed on recall.
Obviously didn't expect to get same mpg as him but pretty disappointed to say the least.
Rest of car is great tho

What fuel?

Wierdly my car is VERY picky with fuel in a wierd way.

Does 50+ mpg on Asda and Sainsburys normal diesel.

Absolutely hideuos on cheap no brand fuel station fuel,

and most wierdly on shell vpower diesel it drinks it, 35mpg!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! and no extra performance, but did seem slightly quieter, due to the 2stroke oil no doubt.

Pretty much always shell normal stuff. .
had a 04 plate 140 pd manual and sitting at maybe eighty on a long motorway journey it returned 68 on dis.
Id worked out dis was only overreading by about 2 or 3.

Wasn't expecting this big a difference. it seemed to dislike v power .
Not tried the 170 on it yet. .

ive an 09 1.9tdi sportback.

getting 200 to first have of tank and maybe 150 to 2nd half of tank. Ive gave it full serivce, remapped and out itg air filter.

It was worse before remap....

Well I did a brim test on the TDI 140 just to see what mpg I was really getting and how that compared with what the DIS was saying. As I mentioned before the DIS is reading an average mpg of about 57mpg, the brim test calculation comes out at about 53/54mpg. So a nice 3/4mpg out :crying:

Out of the tank (when the fuel warning appears, there's another 80-90 miles showing left) I'm getting between 570 and 600 miles, how does that compare to what people are finding on here?

170pd S Tronic- 49mpg over the last 10 tanks using brim test

Hi,

my car is a 1.6TDI with about 17,000 on the clock.The best i average on a run to work is 49/51 mpg. The average speed is about 70 mph +10%. Full tank on average about 600 miles. When at driving miss daisy mode goes up to 55/57 mpg. My commute is 400miles if this is any use to you.

Cheers.

Just to add to this thread my 9000 mile 1.6 tdi Manual's DIS can read over 65mpg over a 50 mile point to point countryside journey if driving very economically. Managed approx 650 from a tank when doing mainly long journeys (100 or 150 mile round trip journeys)

Very impressed with the economy I know some of the owners of the earlier 1.6 tdi were disappointed. I notice mine a lot faster / more economical as the miles creep higher.