Volks AutosJMB Retrofits
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Paul76R

Thread: Launch Control not woking.. Im the only one?

Reverse Gear

Status

Launch Control not woking.. Im the only one?

Hi All..

So got my first a3 and loving it..

It's the 2.0 TFSI DSG from 06

Have been playing with it a few of weeks now, And thought it would be time to try out the launch control feature

So. Turned Car off, left foot on break (As hard as i could), ASR Off (I don't have ESP on mine), Put on S mode and start building on rev.. But it just try pulling forward

I have a european model (Live here ), and it's in the car manuel how to do it.. And have never heard of another here not getting it to work

Could i be doing something wrong? Is it because i only have ASR?

I know that if i Upgrade the DSG Software with REVO stage one it should work.. But kind of expensive here and i only wanna have the LC feature

Anyone? Help me getting this to work

Thx

2. # ADS
    ADS

Status
    Hi, welcome to ASN. Hope you enjoy the Forum.

Reverse Gear

Status
    thx.. Sure i will

Is loving his new 8V S3!

Status
    Turned Car Off? You need it on to go anywhere!

Mine can be a bit of a pain to engage. You need a clear pause between coming off the brake and then putting in back on. So:

Turn off ESP
    Engage S or M
    Pull up handbrake
    Let go of foot brake, wait 1 sec
    Push hard down on foot brake
    Handbrake off
    Floor it
    Release foot brake.
    Off you go .....
    S3 8V Sportback Stronic, Estoril Blue Crystal Effect, Black Interior, Adaptive Cruise with Stop & Go & Pre Sense, Super Sports Seats with Electric Lumber, LED Headlights, Interior Lighting Pack, Hill Hold Assist, Privacy Glass, Comfort Package, Technology Package with Audi Connect, Advance Key, Folding Door Mirrors, Extended Mono.Pur Interior, Front and Rear Parking Sensors, Audi Sound System.

Build Thread Here!

Reverse Gear

Status
    did read somewhere i need to turn of the car, Then hold the break and turn on the car again.. Either way.. Have tryed it both..

Will try your solution

Btw.. When you say floor the pedal.. Do you mean all the way down so it hits the kickdown bottom ?

Is loving his new 8V S3!

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by nitrotg View Post
    did read somewhere i need to turn of the car, Then hold the break and turn on the car again.. Either way.. Have tryed it both..

Will try your solution

Btw.. When you say floor the pedal.. Do you mean all the way down so it hits the kickdown bottom ?
    No need to turn the car off, lol!

Yes, all the way past the kick down switch.
    S3 8V Sportback Stronic, Estoril Blue Crystal Effect, Black Interior, Adaptive Cruise with Stop & Go & Pre Sense, Super Sports Seats with Electric Lumber, LED Headlights, Interior Lighting Pack, Hill Hold Assist, Privacy Glass, Comfort Package, Technology Package with Audi Connect, Advance Key, Folding Door Mirrors, Extended Mono.Pur Interior, Front and Rear Parking Sensors, Audi Sound System.

Build Thread Here!

Reverse Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Silky-S3 View Post
    No need to turn the car off, lol!

Yes, all the way past the kick down switch.
    haven't tried that.. Was not so sure when it tryed to start pulling.. And then try flooring it even more..

Thx for the tip.. Will try tomorrow..

What about the (the engine has to be and the right temp before it works) myth too ??

1st Gear

Status
    Works easy on my 07 tdi 140, don't have to turn the engine off or use handbrake or anything.

Just pull up to a standstill, left foot on brake, turn esp off, stick it i S mode and rev til the rev limiter kicks in which in the tdi is about 2200rpm then let the brake off and fly away! lol

With a petrol i'd expect it to rev higher, but no need to press all the way down past kick down?
    I've only tried it with a warm engine, never from a cold start, so maybe it won't work if the engine/gearbox isn't up to temp?
    makem3 likes this.

Reverse Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul76R View Post
    Works easy on my 07 tdi 140, don't have to turn the engine off or use handbrake or anything.

Just pull up to a standstill, left foot on brake, turn esp off, stick it i S mode and rev til the rev limiter kicks in which in the tdi is about 2200rpm then let the brake off and fly away! lol

With a petrol i'd expect it to rev higher, but no need to press all the way down past kick down?

I've only tried it with a warm engine, never from a cold start, so maybe it won't work if the engine/gearbox isn't up to temp?
    Have tried how you mention it many times.. But it just start to pull

Also tried in all kind of temps

1st Gear

Status
    It shouldn't pull at all until you release the brake, even then there is a seconds delay before you shoot off. Sounds like you have a problem or maybe your car hasn't got it fitted? I think it came in sometime around the 06 or 07 MY when they changed the name from dsg to s-tronic

Reverse Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul76R View Post
    I think it came in sometime around the 06 or 07 MY when they changed the name from dsg to s-tronic

mine is from start 06.. so guess the only way to get it to work is with the revo DSG software upgrade

North East Forum Moderator

Status
    Mines a 01/2007 and has launch control. Works a charm!

- ESP Off
    - Left foot on foot brake
    - Plant right foot (revs limit to around 3k)
    - Remove left foot and watch the world go by

Website | Facebook | Audi TT 2.0TDI 170 Quattro

5th Gear

Status
    Uh,oh! Probably wrong. Thought it was only a derv thing, this launch control..........

Audi Heaven

Status
    Have it on our 2010 170TDi and works fine...

One thing I would say is don't pull up the handbrake! There is no need as the hill hold function won't let you roll back.
    Scott

Audi A3 Sportback 2.0T Quattro S-Line 2007 8P2
    Lava Grey, Exclusive Line Black/Silver Leather, Heated Seats, Bose, RNS-e, iPod, Auto Lights & Wipers, Interior Light Pack

Reverse Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by audicruiser View Post
    Have it on our 2010 170TDi and works fine...

One thing I would say is don't pull up the handbrake! There is no need as the hill hold function won't let you roll back.
    dont think i have the hillhold function

i would love to hear from someone who has the same year as mine.. 12/05 - 06 model...

anyways.. Will try the kickdown thing later today..

Ads
    License to drive

Status
    I'm still too scared to try this.

Audi Heaven

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by fangio View Post
    Uh,oh! Probably wrong. Thought it was only a derv thing, this launch control..........
    No it's a DSG gearbox feature regardless of the engine fitted...
    Scott

Audi A3 Sportback 2.0T Quattro S-Line 2007 8P2
    Lava Grey, Exclusive Line Black/Silver Leather, Heated Seats, Bose, RNS-e, iPod, Auto Lights & Wipers, Interior Light Pack

5th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by audicruiser View Post
    No it's a DSG gearbox feature regardless of the engine fitted...
    Ta! Will update brain-cell!

Reverse Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Silky-S3 View Post
    Turned Car Off? You need it on to go anywhere!

Mine can be a bit of a pain to engage. You need a clear pause between coming off the brake and then putting in back on. So:

Turn off ESP
    Engage S or M
    Pull up handbrake
    Let go of foot brake, wait 1 sec
    Push hard down on foot brake
    Handbrake off
    Floor it
    Release foot brake.
    Off you go .....
    tryed this way today.. still a no-go.. does the same thing..

1st Gear

Status
    The TDI's don't have launch control? Mine didnt.

To activate it;

ESP off
    Foot hard on brake pedal
    Flat out the rev (it should stop itself at 3.5k as the car realises youre doing a launch control)
    Let go of brake pedal

away you go.

PS: Last time I did it I got 3 points
    A3 3.2 S Line DSG

A3 TDI S Line DSG Gone

Update on A3/TT 3.2 V6 software update: See this post

Reverse Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by A3_Rider View Post
    The TDI's don't have launch control? Mine didnt.

To activate it;

ESP off
    Foot hard on brake pedal
    Flat out the rev (it should stop itself at 3.5k as the car realises youre doing a launch control)
    Let go of brake pedal

away you go.

PS: Last time I did it I got 3 points
    Have the 2.0 TFSI.. Did what you mention.. don't work.. must be deactivated on my car :/

When i try doing it it just trying to pull the car forward..

1st Gear

Status
    The only thing I can think of is that the car was re-mapped and it was disabled or forgotten when doing the update to the car...
    A3 3.2 S Line DSG

A3 TDI S Line DSG Gone

Update on A3/TT 3.2 V6 software update: See this post

Reverse Gear

Status
    Well.. maybe.. I only had the car for 1 week before i got it remapped.. And did not try the LC feature before..

But as Poul76R mention in post #10.. Maybe it was not fitted in my car to start with.. the car is from 12/2005..

But can it be activated/deactivated with a simple remapped tuning?

Reverse Gear

Status
    actually.. when thinking about it.. why should it be mention in the cars manuel if it wasn't fitted in the car before later on??.. hmm..

5th Gear

Status
    05 plate wont have it mate sorry this feature was implemented as of 56/07 I presume
    Be patient. English is tough.

Now:

61 Audi S3 BE S-Tronic Ibis White: Build Thread.
    / Black Edition pack (SatNav, Bluetooth) / Parking Sensors / Tinted windows / piano inlays and finish / Cruise Control / Interior light pack /
    /Mods: REVO Stage 2+: Revo Intake / BCS Powervalve TBE system / LOBA HPFP / Crystal Clear H11 FOGS / Black roof + spoiler vinyl wrap / H&R Anti-roll bars / Superpro ALK /

Reverse Gear

Status
    So just to update a old tread.. Got Revo Stage 1 DSG software in and still no launch control..!! This is driving me crazy!!

1st Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by RedDejavu View Post
    05 plate wont have it mate sorry this feature was implemented as of 56/07 I presume
    Strange, mines an 04 with S-tronic and I have LC! Only used it once though as I'm too mechanically sympathetic. It feels horrifically harsh on the drivetrain but maybe it's not quite as bad on lower powered versions.
    2004 A3 3.2 Quattro Sport DSG S-line
    2008 KTM 950 Supermoto
    1988 Honda CBR400RR Tri-Arm

5th Gear

Status
    I tried it once.

Engage S mode.
    ESP button needs to be held down for several seconds.

Reverse Gear

Status
    I have an 05 a3 with launch control which I use a lot on my way home from work mostly on Fridays . ESP off at a standstill brake pedal to the floor and the gas revs will sit around 2500 the release brake and rocket off. anyone worried about transmission damage etc. don't worry too much the stock transmission can handle a lot more than is thrown at it by stock engine

1st Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by B345T View Post
    anyone worried about transmission damage etc. don't worry too much the stock transmission can handle a lot more than is thrown at it by stock engine
    Unfortunately the same can't be said for the engine/transmission mount brackets!!!
    2004 A3 3.2 Quattro Sport DSG S-line
    2008 KTM 950 Supermoto
    1988 Honda CBR400RR Tri-Arm

Reverse Gear

Status
    I haven't had any issues with mine but ill keep and eye on it

1st Gear

Status
    Had this on all my A3s, first being a 55 plate 2.0T, second a 57 plate 2.0TDI third 59 plate S3… As stated above:

• Sport mode
    • Hold down ESP button for 2-5 seconds, DIS will say EPS/ASR off
    • Foot on brake
    • Foot fully down on accelerator
    • Let go of brake
    • Zooooooom

Ibis S3 S-tronic with buckets
    Previously: A3 2.0TDI (170) S-line S-tronic , A3 2.0T DSG S-line, A4 1.8T Quattro Sport

Reverse Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Nickl View Post
    Had this on all my A3s, first being a 55 plate 2.0T, second a 57 plate 2.0TDI third 59 plate S3… As stated above:
    • Sport mode
    • Hold down ESP button for 2-5 seconds, DIS will say EPS/ASR off
    • Foot on brake
    • Foot fully down on accelerator
    • Let go of brake
    • Zooooooom
    When you say foot FULLY down on accelerator,, as soon as i start accelerate while my foot is on the brake, it just starts pulling.. :/

5th Gear

Status
    like Nickl states, make sure you

Hold down ESP button for 2-5 seconds, DIS will say EPS/ASR off

Reverse Gear

Status
    im doing that.., but as soon as i press the ASR off it lights in the DIS.. I dont have to press it down for 2-5 sec.. Unless it makes a different off?

Short Back

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by nitrotg View Post
    When you say foot FULLY down on accelerator,, as soon as i start accelerate while my foot is on the brake, it just starts pulling.. :/
    mine will start pulling early only when I leave it in 'D', you need to put it in 'S' or 'M' before you try.
    2009 A3 SB 2.0T DSG S line
    ''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''

Reverse Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Artimus View Post
    mine will start pulling early only when I leave it in 'D', you need to put it in 'S' or 'M' before you try.

Kind of old tread. But let me update it a little..

Let me start with saying I have tried all combination there is now. Andi know I have to put it in sport mode

but anyways. I got the revo dsg stage 1 installed also..with LC activated.. Still not working

but it looks like I have a special software version in my dsg gearbox. Because revo had to make a custom version for mine :/

Reverse Gear

Status
    Hi. I have had a 2009 s3 dsg for 9 months now and my launch control doesn't work either. If I go into sport, turn off ESP, foot hard on the break and press the accelerator hard, the car is just trying to defeat the brakes and trying to edge forward.. I give up quite soon as it isn't working.

I can only imagine when I works it sits at 3k revs quite sweet waiting to rocket forward with satisfaction...

as my car is second hand I am not sure if the ecu has been played with in the past... How often is it safe to use launch control? Maybe it has been used too much and someone disabled it in the past to stop them wrecking the gearbox?

Thinking about going for a stage 1 or stage 2 an exhaust from the good people at MRC tuning soon and will ask them to check on anything that might be wrong.. Or think I should take it to Audi first before any tampering takes place?? As far as I know it's big standard right now..

Oh and BUMP!!

6+1 Gears

Status
    Launch control does not come as standard with DSG/s-tronic gearbox. Some have it, some don't. Most of those who don't have it are connected to diesel engines.
    I believe that one of the reasons for this is that on diesels the torque is much higher and brutal than on petrol engines and this is very bad for the gearbox, especially on the clutch and DMF.
    If the clutch engages at ~2200 RPM, a diesel engine already delivers 250-350 NM (depending on what engine it is). The shock would be high.
    DSG | Vienna Leather | Bose Sound | MFSW | Interior Lights Pack | Light & Rain Sensors | Auto Dimming Mirror Mods: LED RNS-e | FL LED Tail Lights | Bi-Xenons | Illuminated Speaker Grilles | Tinted windows | Chrome Switches | Chrome Paddles&Commands | RS4 Start Button | Cruise Control | S3 Pedals | S3 Roof Spoiler | 18" BBS CH | H&R Spacers 10/15 mm | Bilstein B16 PSS10 | H&R 26/24 ARBs | TT Arms | S3 Front Brakes+DS2500+Tarox F2000 | HEL Brake Lines | VNT20 | EGR&Cooler Delete | Custom Remap

Reverse Gear

Status
    Seems strange they would miss it out on S3 2.0T..