RNSE again sorry

mattysline

Reaction score
Hi ive taken my symthony 2 out to install a rnse mk2 but have realised i need the plug adaptor there is a lead with a yellow plug on the end will this fit into the new adaptor block ? ive searched but with no avail ay help cheers

Hi Matty, welcome to ASN. What car do you have and what year is it? Someone should be along soon to advise you. Enjoy the forum? :)

Hi its a 2005 a3 tdi quattro ..it has bose installed too but dont wanna purchanse the adaptor block if its the wrong one just unsure what the yellow block is for

If you take a photo bud that should help...

Mine was plug and play apart from the Bose pin. Not done a 2005 A3 myself.

Hi Matty, I recently retro fitted a RNS-E unit to my A3 S-Line 2009. That 'yellow' connector is the diversity connection. Although I did not have this in mine in the same set up as you (because I had the Audi Concert head unit) I am able to help you out somewhat.

Using a small thin flathead screwdriver, or something similar, pry out the purple plastic lock from the yellow diversity connection.

Once the purple lock has been removed, the yellow plastic cover will slide right off. Remove it.

The kit you will need to order should included the Radio Antenna Adapter. This cable is needed in order to connect the FM antennae to the back of the RNS-E unit. I should look like the following: (found this pic on the internet btw)

antenna-adapter.jpg

Once you have removed the yellow plastic cover from the connector, it should clip onto the "Symphony-ZF Diversity ant." - as it is labelled on the picture above. I recommend using some electrical tape or something similar to hold it in place securely.

In case you are wondering what a diversity antennae is, it is also known as space diversity, is any one of several wireless diversity schemes that uses two or more antennas to improve the quality and reliability of a wireless link - in this case, your radio!

I hope this is of some use to you?

Good luck with the install, let me know if I can help any further! :)

I've never worked on a 2005 but I'm pretty sure that the yellow plug is the diversity antenna connector. You should have 2 antenna connectors - a round one and a square one.

On the RNS-E both antenna connections are on the same plug so you will need an adapter cable to go from the 2 connectors you have to the single connector for the RNS-E.

If you look at the 4th picture on the thread that you linked to I think that the silver connector in the middle is just the yellow connector with the plastic cover removed.

oh thats great guys cheers il av a pop at it this week let you know ..really appreciate it