Car Seats - ISOFIX or not?

• Thread starter imported_TuffLittleUnit
  • Start date
I

imported_TuffLittleUnit

A change of car means I'm contemplating changing the kids' car seats (boys aged 20 months and almost 4 years). Currently they're both in Britax Eclipses but the tension required to get the seat belt fitting right on my last car deformed the rear seats i.e. the belt had to be so tight to keep the seat from wobbling that the child seats left huge indentations in the rear seats.

I'm currently on a loan car (new VW Golf) and already the child seats are starting to mark the rear seats after less than 2 weeks. I remove the seats as often as possible and also put the elder lad on a booster seat.

Does anyone have ISOFIX seats? Do they fit more snugly? Are they less fiddly to install?

Comments and/or recommendations would be welcomed.

Got isofix in my A3, bought car as ex demo, so not specced by me.

1st sproglet on the way, so just starting to investigate all this. We plan to go to a some travel system stores in the next few weeks, can report back on findings.

However, my wife's car is a 206, so more likley that we will go for kit to fit that rather than A3. But I am sure that A3 will be used for long runs at weekend (visiting Grannies!), and I certainly don't want my lovely S-Line seat ruied by the child seat/travel system. So whatever we buy will have ot be compatible with the A3 too.

Next thing, I'll be forced to part with my A3 for a more "family" type car......................... joy! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cry.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Next thing, I'll be forced to part with my A3 for a more "family" type car......................... joy! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cry.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Enter stage left.... A3 Sportback. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/woohoo.gif

[ QUOTE ]
A change of car means I'm contemplating changing the kids' car seats (boys aged 20 months and almost 4 years). Currently they're both in Britax Eclipses but the tension required to get the seat belt fitting right on my last car deformed the rear seats i.e. the belt had to be so tight to keep the seat from wobbling that the child seats left huge indentations in the rear seats.

I'm currently on a loan car (new VW Golf) and already the child seats are starting to mark the rear seats after less than 2 weeks. I remove the seats as often as possible and also put the elder lad on a booster seat.

Does anyone have ISOFIX seats? Do they fit more snugly? Are they less fiddly to install?

Comments and/or recommendations would be welcomed.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have a Britax seat with a seat belt tensioner which,as you say,makes quite an indentation in the seat foam.

I've never investigated ISOFIX as I like being able to transfer the seat into other cars,of varying makes,quickly and easily.

I used a Britax seat with this tensioner in the Volvo with leather seat. I got a clear plastic protector from Argos. The seat stayed put for about two years, the leather and foam only took a few days to recover shape, and no damage is noticeable when sitting in it.

In fact the booster seat causes more surface damage because it moves around. It has some carpet offcut under it now.

More reasons to keep my cars as kid free zone's if I ever get to become a dad. I thought all I would have to worry about was puke and sticky fingers...

[ QUOTE ]

More reasons to keep my cars as kid free zone's if I ever get to become a dad. I thought all I would have to worry about was puke and sticky fingers...

[/ QUOTE ]

MB, sticky fingers all over the piano trim, I can see you having a panic attack already /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh_roll.gif

I keep one of those microfibre clothes in the under seat storage thingy for the piano trim...

Mate don't laugh I had to have people in the back of my car thursday night - palpitations or what! claire keeps asking me why I don't just buy 2 seaters!

Never mind at least I had a job for friday - hoover, polish the interior and the windows /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

J.

[ QUOTE ]

I keep one of those microfibre clothes in the under seat storage thingy for the piano trim...

Mate don't laugh I had to have people in the back of my car thursday night - palpitations or what! claire keeps asking me why I don't just buy 2 seaters!

Never mind at least I had a job for friday - hoover, polish the interior and the windows /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

J.

[/ QUOTE ]

The wife is now trained to NOT touch the piano trim under any circumstances /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh_roll.gif

[ QUOTE ]
1st sproglet on the way

[/ QUOTE ]

CONGRATULATIONS!

PS Your car will now need the following items which are required to drive after months of sleepless nights:
- DSG
- Cruise
- parking sensors
- light sensors
- rain sensors
- 24 airbags
- daylight running hazard lights
- CD changer (to ensure "the wheels on the bus and other kiddy classics" can be enabled at the flick of a switch)

I specced isofix on my A4 as it is not std but all new A3 have complete isofix and airbag de activation as standard.
I bought the Britax isofix duo and it is as solid as a rock without digging into the base or the back of the back seat thereby not leaving any marks..

Cost about £150 for the seat but also is available at the dealers with a different cover.

[ QUOTE ]
it is as solid as a rock without digging into the base or the back of the back seat thereby not leaving any marks

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks 911SC - that's the comment I was after.

The911SC,

Can the Britax seat you bought be used for normal seat belt fixing too? Reason I ask is I have an A3 with Isofix, but the wife has a 206, so can see us swapping the seat from one car to the other.

Cheers.

[ QUOTE ]
I used a Britax seat with this tensioner in the Volvo with leather seat. I got a clear plastic protector from Argos. The seat stayed put for about two years, the leather and foam only took a few days to recover shape, and no damage is noticeable when sitting in it.

In fact the booster seat causes more surface damage because it moves around. It has some carpet offcut under it now.

[/ QUOTE ]

That plastic protector from Argos sounds ideal,but I can't see it on their website. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/noidea.gif

Yes the seat can be used with a conventional seat belt if required hence the name Duo!..

I have a square of leather which I tucked under the seat just in case from a motor trimmer. Looks fine...

Argos, 740/9628

Now only £4.99 for clearance. You might be lucky if there are some left in the stores.

I expect Halfords etc do similar.

[ QUOTE ]
Argos, 740/9628

Now only £4.99 for clearance. You might be lucky if there are some left in the stores.

I expect Halfords etc do similar.

[/ QUOTE ]

I thought you meant some kind of hard plastic contraption which would 'spread the load' and stop the metal foot of my Britax seat pushing into the foam.

The folded over black towel (to match the trim) I have underneath it just now does just as good a job as that.

Sorry about that.

The towel probably is enough, but the plastic also caught any rubbish from going on the bench either side of the child seat. It also had a protector for the back of the seat in front. Stops mucky feet marks.