2.0 TDi vs 2.0 FSi vs 2.0T vs 3.2 Tyre life?

jungle

Reaction score
Was just wondering if anyone has any info on whether there is a major difference in the expected tyre life (average) between the different engines variants?

I'm guessing that the diesel tyres will be shredded soonest due to the huge levels of torque?

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

The 3.2 only comes as a quattro doesn't it? So are we comparing the FWD variants or the Quattro's

I'm hoping my Tdi will be better than my R was... (12K and a complete set of 4 tyres where illegal - Ouch!)

J.

Good point mb - presumably the quattro means better tyre life.

You definitely need a lot of restraint in the first 2 gears with the TDi to prevent traction lights or wheelspin. Don't know about the 2.0T but pretty sure you could nail the FSi off the line without too much concern?

LOL...not with my r32, in my chipped 1.8T I used to get about 16K from a set of fronts (Car was running 223bhp and around 243ft lb of torque) the rears used to last 30K. The R went through 4 tyres in 12k miles

I would have thought the 2.0Tdi would get throught the fronts quicker than the 2.0TFSi though...

Well i'm at 10k at the moment and expect the fronts to last till 15-16k. The rears should last till around 22-23k. DSG seems to help traction as mentioned in previous threads.

jungle, you will experience wheel spin with first gear, yes (FSI's first is about as long as TDI's 2nd). But hopefully no one drives it like that /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Anyway, the tyres themselves have probably more varience than what driver will cause, unless wheelspin is somehow "fun" for him.

- Yak

I used to have a 2.0TDI, I do a fair amount of careful driving (for work) then boot it the rest of the time. Come 17000 miles I was shocked to see the fronts on the wear limiters.

Kev.

[ QUOTE ]
Well i'm at 10k at the moment and expect the fronts to last till 15-16k. The rears should last till around 22-23k. DSG seems to help traction as mentioned in previous threads.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'll add that this is without wheelspin other than two occasions in the snow and another experiment to try and get it to wheelspin, because people with manual boxes were saying traction was poor.

Maybe because with DSG, you come off the brake and onto the gas, that delay gets the car 'rolling' and aids better traction. With a manual you can set high revs and side step clutch.

Anyway, if your a wheelspin junkie, expect around 10-12k out of a set of fronts.

[ QUOTE ]
jungle, you will experience wheel spin with first gear, yes (FSI's first is about as long as TDI's 2nd). But hopefully no one drives it like that /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Anyway, the tyres themselves have probably more varience than what driver will cause, unless wheelspin is somehow "fun" for him.

- Yak

[/ QUOTE ]

Gear ratio's are very similar for both:

TDI - 1st, 5.2, 2nd, 8.8
FSI - 1st, 5.4, 2nd, 9.0

So FSI is slightly taller geared in 1st and 2nd but not by that much.

And I thought Michs were supposed to be pretty hard wearing!

Its probably not the smoking starts that are the main problem - if you live in roundaboutsville like I do then you end up sliding on 2 wheels every where... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

...or all four!

Had to change my dead fronts at 7000, will change out all four at 10000.

Those are KM btw, not Miles.

This is due to excessive exercise of poor judgement behind the wheel (or so would say the engineer).

[ QUOTE ]
...or all four!

Had to change my dead fronts at 7000, will change out all four at 10000.

Those are KM btw, not Miles.

This is due to excessive exercise of poor judgement behind the wheel (or so would say the engineer).

[/ QUOTE ]

JB is that wheelspin junkie /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/lol.gif

Japper, I meant with gearratios and revs. In other words, what you get out. Both will run out about the same time, 1st in FSI at a bit above 60km/h and 2nd in TDI at bit below 70km/h. So you'll get to go just as fast.

Anyway, wheelsping in snow won't kill your tyre, or in ice. And it's unavoidable to some degree.

- Yak

[ QUOTE ]
Japper, I meant with gearratios and revs. In other words, what you get out. Both will run out about the same time, 1st in FSI at a bit above 60km/h and 2nd in TDI at bit below 70km/h. So you'll get to go just as fast.

Anyway, wheelsping in snow won't kill your tyre, or in ice. And it's unavoidable to some degree.

- Yak

[/ QUOTE ]

I know what you mean Yak but isn't the main issue torque not gearing? On which basis 2.0FSi tyres should last forever?? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

[ QUOTE ]
JB is that wheelspin junkie

[/ QUOTE ]

Aren't you barking up the wrong tree looking at power at the wheels, etc?

I am anything but a wheelspin addict. I love, however, to tear through nasty corners. And THAT's how I shot my tires so quickly. Quattro or no quattro.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I am anything but a wheelspin addict. I love, however, to tear through nasty corners. And THAT's how I shot my tires so quickly. Quattro or no quattro.

[/ QUOTE ]

happy days

beaten

still going? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Just a joke JB, not a dig at your driving style in any way /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

happy days

beaten

still going? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

For a second I thought, "Jeez he's taken his track day seriously: full overalls and crash helmet in a 911". DOH!

My fronts and rears are about half way through at 16k miles. Although, swopped them front to back at about 7k when the rears were at 90% and the fronts at about 70%. I expect them to hit 30k before needing a change. Although I'll have to change all four at the same time. I've got the Dunlop SP9090s BTW. I think they are of a harder wearing compound (wear index is 260 on them, I think).

[ QUOTE ]

The 3.2 only comes as a quattro doesn't it? So are we comparing the FWD variants or the Quattro's

I'm hoping my Tdi will be better than my R was... (12K and a complete set of 4 tyres where illegal - Ouch!)

J.

[/ QUOTE ]

Blimey MB, you must have a very heavy right foot, i sold my R with 10,000 miles with 6-7 mm of tread left. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

I have the an ottinger chipped 2tdi running falken 18s. just noticed that ive fryed the fronts at 17k

looks like we need harder tyres at the front any ideas?

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

harder tyres = less grip.....

I'm quite happy changing mine every 10k if neccesary, so long as they glue me to the road.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

harder tyres = less grip.....

I'm quite happy changing mine every 10k if neccesary, so long as they glue me to the road.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree, and 17k out of a front set is pretty average anyway. Mine will want changing at 15k ish.

Mind you, I can wear them out as quick as I like because they're not gonna cost me any more /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/groovy.gif

BTW I have meddled with tyre pressures after reading that someone else had tried some settings(japper or bowfer).

This is on continental sports, Sportback SE with 16" 205s (don't flame me its a company car).

Quite surprised at the sensitivity to pressure... Went to 28 front and 34 rear - loads of weight transfer under braking and squirminess from the rear, and easy lift off oversteer. Wet weather grip was much lower than original 32/32 settings (closed tread maybe?). Noticeably less road noise.

In the interests of science, went to 36/36. Good straight line control but at the expense of grip on dry corners. More road noise.

Have now settled on 30/30 - seems good. One thing - use your own tyre gauge if you ****** around as the forecourt ones are notoriously useless - I've had a £5 halfords pencil gauge for about 6 years and can recommend it.