Brake light switch sticking?

devilchef1981

Reaction score
Hi all

Just recently (the past 3 days) I've come to my car and my brake lights are stuck on. The first time it happened it must have been on for hours as it run my battery flat. However, they were not on when I left the car in the evening.

The day after again left my car and no brake lights were on, the next morning a neighbor knocked on my door saying she saw my brake lights come on 10 mins ago, thinking I was in the car and then noticed I wasn't!

Ive been told by a reliable source that this is common amongst Audi, VW and Seat cars but could cost £100+ due to half the dash needing to be pulled out. Surely not?

Is there anything else that can be done, has anyone else heard this fault before?

Cheers all!!

I had something like this on my old a3 turned out to be the fuse check that because after i changed it it was ok. never know might fix it and if it does saves u £100 :thumbsup:

I had a probem with my old 8L, the brake lights would only sometimes work.
I just replaced the break ight switch behind the pedal, was very very easy. Id start there.
This looks like its the one for the 8P:

AUDI A3 BRAKE/STOP LIGHT SWITCH 4 PIN | eBay

Thanks guys, do you really need to take out half the dash under the steering wheel to get at it?

i'm gonna bump this, since this problem happened to me on my 2010 sportback and the way of fixing it was completely different.
it might be useful for someone looking for help

under the hood. where the brake fluid goes, under it there was the plastic connector, it had 4 pins too but it had a totally different shape.