Audi S3 clutch setup? What is everyone running?

GNJ_Motorsport

Site Sponsor
Site Sponsor
Reaction score
Website
www.gnjmotorsport.com
Unfortunately for my bank balance the time has come to replace my clutch with an uprated item. I have emailed both Sachs and Helix about this recently already as I want to add uprated clutches to our site but both must be making millions as neither have bothered to reply!

Anyway, I have read that the best setup for fast road use is Sachs clutch plate and pressure plate and OEM LUK flywheel. I'm interested to see what other setups people have and where they found were the cheapest places to buy the parts from. Fitting is not a problem.

flywheel £240ish.

Sachs from local motor factors was roughly £250

had mine fitted at local VW for £300 quid.

so £800 total bill approx. this was about 2 months ago probably

Mike

£240 for the flywheel seems a good price. My local dealer said they are about £600 which I thought was expensive.
Where was that from?
Which motor factors did you use for the sach clutch and pressure plate please?
I have recently had a quote from an independant to supply and fit above and the price was £1600
I live in the west midlands so not too far from Worcester so could go to the same suppliers you used!

I got my Sachs organic clutch kit 2nd hand for £400 from someone on here who'd bought it in a VAGOC group buy & not installed it. Think there's feelers being put out for another group buy now, so I'll say it quietly, but you might want to wander over there and take a look.

Then I got the OEM LUK dual mass flywheel and single clutch release bearing thingy for around £280 delivered from an online motor factors based Nottingham way. Can't recall the name though, coz I've got a memory like a sieve...

Got it fitted round the corner as the guy at my local Mr Clutch came highly recommended & he did a good job for £280, which wasn't bad for the time it took (5 or 6 hrs).

So it cost £960 all in & was installed 14 months and 15k miles ago & has coped faultlessly with my heavy right foot.

I got my Sachs organic clutch kit 2nd hand for £400 from someone on here who'd bought it in a VAGOC group buy & not installed it. Think there's feelers being put out for another group buy now, so I'll say it quietly, but you might want to wander over there and take a look.

Then I got the OEM LUK dual mass flywheel and single clutch release bearing thingy for around £280 delivered from an online motor factors based Nottingham way. Can't recall the name though, coz I've got a memory like a sieve...

Got it fitted round the corner as the guy at my local Mr Clutch came highly recommended & he did a good job for £280, which wasn't bad for the time it took (5 or 6 hrs).

So it cost £960 all in & was installed 14 months and 15k miles ago & has coped faultlessly with my heavy right foot.

That's not bad. My mate who will be the mechanic in our workshop when it opens later this year is fitting it at his current work for £210 which is a great price going off what people have paid.

I was thinking around the £900 mark all in so I wasn't far off it seems.

Brand new Luk DMF = Car Parts and Car Accessories - Buy Parts By

put it your reg, select clutch kits, Then more info. £221.83 + VAT if you collect it from store its £280ish.

Got the sachs from sachs uk at cost price, originally i thought it was BMF but just phoned my friend who works at VW where i got it done, he said he went directly to sachs uk in the end. less than £250. he seemed to remember its was £220 mark.

Fitting was £300.01 - needed a bolt or something so charged me 1p :)

Last edited by a moderator:
So with DMF+ vat = £266.20

Clutch roughly £235

Fitting £300

£801.20.......

BARGAIN :)

I'm looking for a new clutch now as I've just got my S3 to Stage 2+ and my clutch doesn't like it at all!

There are some cheap prices being quoted on here so i'll follow that up and see what I can find but in the meantime I've got my name down over on VAGOC as well

I got my luk flywheel and slave cylinder from gsf for around £302 and bought new flywheel bolts for about £10.
Im guessing that everyone saying £250 for Sachs clutch it is just the clutch plate and not the pressure plate aswell. It's usually around £550-600 for the uprated clutch and pressure plate??

If I was you I'd take the gearbox off and see the condition of your DMF. the spanking new DMF I bought had the same amount of play in it as the old. I replaced anyway as I'd already bought it. old one had 21k on it. the new one was a genuine LUK flywheel too.

If anyone wants to have a butchers with my old one I'm sure we can work something out for cheaps. I don't need it. I've gone DSG.

Check your current one first though.