Chris NottAH Fabrications
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Advice Please on New Tyres

Fossie

Status

Advice Please on New Tyres

Appreciate some guidance here chaps (and chapesses) on what new tyres to go for :-

Car is 2.0L TDI 140 Sportback (2006)

Looking at (in no particular order):-

1. Dunlop SP Sportmaxx TT
    2. Pirelli P6000
    3. Goodyear Eagle F1 Assymetric
    4. Falken FK452

Currently got Michelin Pilot Sport 2

My driving style is that which you would expect of a senior citizen mainly pottering about but giving it the odd blast or two !!!!!! lol

2. # ADS
    ADS

3rd Gear

Status

My Social Networking

Add pinterovski on Facebook
    18's or 19's?
    Black roof,Tinted windows,Solar Orange Calipers,KW V3 Coilovers,
    HEKO Wind Deflectors,CAI ITG Maxogen,Non Res Supersprint Exhaust CB with custom Fi76mm DP,
    RevD with GFB DV+,Autotech HPFP,Custom SKN map Stage2,Forge ShortShifter,THS mounts,
    Twintercooler,Clutch is now on LOBA/SACHS!!!
    18 OZ Ultraleggera!
    365HP and 500NM of torque!

Fossie

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by pinterovski View Post
    18's or 19's?
    Thanks for reply mate - the tyres are standard 225/45/17 Y

_G_
    4th Gear

Status
    I would not touch any of those tyres you listed as far as I could throw them. I would stick with your Pilot Sport and if you are on a budget then the Continental Sport Contact 5 would work out a snip under the Pilot Sports.

3rd Gear

Status
    I've got contisport contact 3's which are very good however I had goodyear eagle f1 ass on my BMW, they were superb in both the dry and the wet, best tyre I've ever had.

They are regularly at or near the top of tyre tests as are contisport contact 5's

Think they have since brought out assymetric 2's which I'm sure would be even better

3rd Gear

Status

My Social Networking

Add pinterovski on Facebook
    Sportmaxx TT!
    I had them in 18's,awesome tyre!
    Black roof,Tinted windows,Solar Orange Calipers,KW V3 Coilovers,
    HEKO Wind Deflectors,CAI ITG Maxogen,Non Res Supersprint Exhaust CB with custom Fi76mm DP,
    RevD with GFB DV+,Autotech HPFP,Custom SKN map Stage2,Forge ShortShifter,THS mounts,
    Twintercooler,Clutch is now on LOBA/SACHS!!!
    18 OZ Ultraleggera!
    365HP and 500NM of torque!

Neutral

Status
    Goodyear Eagle F1 Assymetric 2's for me all the way, they get great reviews and I have them on 18" and 19" rims.

3rd Gear

Status
    A lot of people rate the Goodyears!
    55' BMW 330Cd M Sport
    The ones that have been left behind:
    • 2004 VW Golf R32
    • 2004 Audi A3 2.0 TDi Sport
    • 2000 BMW 318i M Sport
    Private plate for sale: Y 7RYY

Fossie

Status
    Hey chaps - thanks for all the replies.

So far it looks like Pirelli and Falkens are off the menu !

Watch this space !

3rd Gear

Status
    The trouble is that everyone has different ideas and opinions on tyres as they are so subjective.

I had the Sportmaxx's and didn't get on with them and am about to fit Assymetric 2's to see how they go, but to be honest, your best bet is to read all of the latest reviews of tyres in the nearest size to yours and then take an 'Educated Punt'..:-)

The feedback from the guys on here will be interesting and provide you with more information, but your decision has to be yours.

Let us know what you plump for.

1st Gear

Status
    Why are the Falken 452 getting a bad rep? Iv used them for years on most my cars. Awesome tyre, good wear, grip and not to mention price. £80 per corner on 18", yes please
    Sheikh likes this.

A3 2.0TDI Sportback S-Line

Status

My Social Networking

Follow _GRP_ On Twitter Visit _GRP_'s Instagram Channel
    I've recent put on some Avon Z3's which I'm very happy with.

Fossie

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowman View Post
    The trouble is that everyone has different ideas and opinions on tyres as they are so subjective.

I had the Sportmaxx's and didn't get on with them and am about to fit Assymetric 2's to see how they go, but to be honest, your best bet is to read all of the latest reviews of tyres in the nearest size to yours and then take an 'Educated Punt'..:-)

The feedback from the guys on here will be interesting and provide you with more information, but your decision has to be yours.

Let us know what you plump for.
    I agree entirely and that is why I thought I would see if there might be a concensus !

As stated I am generally a gentle, careful driver and am really looking for a good, all-round tyre with decent wear rate that doesn't go too high on cost (being a pensioner and all that !!). I do like to give it the odd blast and the bit of motorway stuff I do is usually 75-80 mph.

Will report on final decision asap.

Cheers mate

Fossie

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by mx_rab View Post
    Why are the Falken 452 getting a bad rep? Iv used them for years on most my cars. Awesome tyre, good wear, grip and not to mention price. £80 per corner on 18", yes please
    Must admit I thought I had read decent reports of them before ! £103 fitted is the lowest so far.

1st Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by mike foster View Post
    Must admit I thought I had read decent reports of them before ! £103 fitted is the lowest so far.
    Thats quite dear, i think the most expensive round my way was £87 a corner.

Im currently on Uniroyal Rainsport 2' and must say im liking them. Plus i know a guy so i got them for £95 a corner. It really all depends on what your driving style is. Im maximum mpg most of the time but once or twice a week i just give it beans, safe beans that is ha.

Fossie

Status

Im currently on Uniroyal Rainsport 2' and must say im liking them. Plus i know a guy so i got them for £95 a corner. It really all depends on what your driving style is. Im maximum mpg most of the time but once or twice a week i just give it beans, safe beans that is ha.
    That £103 is the cheapest fitted price on any tyre I have looked at so far ! Maybe it's because I'm in Leeds area !! lol

I'm basically max mpg as well mate !

Fossie

Status

Just seen a 'special' price on these at Kwikfit - £110 each fitted etc. etc.

Does that sound a good price ?

3rd Gear

Status
    Mike, take a look at the Camskill website ( Cheap Tyres Discount Tyres Buy Tyres Online & Japanese Import Car Parts Spares Tuning Performance Servicing Accessories )....they have the Falken 452's for £77 a corner in your size, along with many others as well.

They will have to be fitted and balanced by your local tyre dealer, but you will probably still save money....a load of us get our tyres from here, and they have a very good reputation with very quick and efficient delivery.

1st Gear

Status
    Just seen a 'special' price on these at Kwikfit - £110 each fitted etc. etc.

Does that sound a good price ?
    Sounds like a good deal to me, considering Kwikfit usually sell them at around 140-160 each. Probably the cheapest you will find

3rd Gear

Status
    http://ssl.delti.com/cgi-bin/rshop.p...&nichtweiter=1

Just to give an idea- £102 for goodyears, my local fitter charges £10 a wheel cash for fitting and balancing

Fossie

Status
    Sounds like a good deal to me, considering Kwikfit usually sell them at around 140-160 each. Probably the cheapest you will find
    Normal price £153 - so they say !!!!!!!

3rd Gear

Status
    And the Uniroyal Rainsport 2's are £87 a corner at Camskill !

Fossie

Status
    Mike, take a look at the Camskill website ( Cheap Tyres Discount Tyres Buy Tyres Online & Japanese Import Car Parts Spares Tuning Performance Servicing Accessories )....they have the Falken 452's for £77 a corner in your size, along with many others as well.

They will have to be fitted and balanced by your local tyre dealer, but you will probably still save money....a load of us get our tyres from here, and they have a very good reputation with very quick and efficient delivery.
    Thanks for that Shadowman - I'm actually on that site now. Only problem is I don't have a local tyre fitter (other than Kwikfit) to get them fitted !

3rd Gear

Status
    Lots of places do mobile tyre fitting nowadays.....do a Google search for mobile tyre fitters and I reckon you'll find what you need,,,,,then just get the tyres delivered to your home and then get the mobile guy to fit them at a day and time that suits you :-)

1st Gear

Status
    Usually about £10 a tyre to get them fitted. You can get them done at any local tyre fitters, even Kwikfit will do it for if you supply the tyres.

Fossie

Status
    And the Uniroyal Rainsport 2's are £87 a corner at Camskill !
    Just looked at KwikFit again ( I know they're not flavour of the month on this forum !) but they have two types of Rainsport 2's

Rainsport 2 Y17 load index 94 reinforced at £110
    Rainsport 2 W17 load index 91 (not reinforced) at £102

Haven't a clue which to go for ??

4th Gear

Status
    Looking at (in no particular order):-

1. Dunlop SP Sportmaxx TT
    2. Pirelli P6000
    3. Goodyear Eagle F1 Assymetric
    4. Falken FK452
    Bit of an odd mix of tyres there. The P6000 is dire an absolutely lethal in the wet, people who know nothing about tyres seem to buy them because they are from a main brand. The F1 Asymmetric is a last generation tyre and been replaced by the Asymmetric 2, it was and still is a very good tyre winning many reviews but suffered with alot of wear. The Asymmetric 2 advances many of the originals pro points with much better wear characteristics. The Falken 452 is a mid range tyre and only seems to get a lot of praise when you start comparing it to other tyres in that price range. Cant really comment to much on the Sportmaxx its never been at the top of the reviews I've read and not been at the bottom either.

The Michelin Pilot Sport 2 you have on now is a really good tyre for both performance and life, it's been replaced now by the Pilot Super Sport (not the Pilot Sport 3 Like alot of people think) as the UHP tyre for Michelin. Any tyre from Michelin though seems to command a silly premium over the over premium brands. My personal choice for tyres at the moment would be the Asymmetric 2(have these on my BMW now) or the Continental Sport Contact 5 both of which have increased life over their predecessors while offering best in class performance if you ever actually need it.

If you look through these articles you'll get an idea of how the various different tyres have performed Tyre Articles | the online tyre guide
    Now:BMW 530d M-sport tourer. Then:Lava Grey A3 Sportback S-line 2.0TFSI Quattro, S-line Special Edition, Xenon Plus, Leather, Light and Rain Pack, Interior light Pack, Bose, DVD Nav+, Bluetooth, Multifunction wheel,Cruise, Heated Front Seats, Folding Mirrors, Rear Parking Sensor and some other bits.

3rd Gear

Status
    I think you will need the Y spec 94 load rating tyres, but look at the tyres you currently have fitted on the car or in the handbook or at the tyre pressure sticker inside the drivers door for the correct tyre details for your car....and make sure you get the same specification as a replacement or it can invalidate your insurance.

4th Gear

Status
    Just looked at KwikFit again ( I know they're not flavour of the month on this forum !) but they have two types of Rainsport 2's

The W and the Y are the speed index for the tyre. I would imagine the A3 same as yours would need anything higher than a V but check your manual (you can go higher but not lower, unless using winter tyres). The 91 and 94 are the load index 91 will be fine on the A3 and 94 will make the tyre a little stiffer so harsher riding.
    Now:BMW 530d M-sport tourer. Then:Lava Grey A3 Sportback S-line 2.0TFSI Quattro, S-line Special Edition, Xenon Plus, Leather, Light and Rain Pack, Interior light Pack, Bose, DVD Nav+, Bluetooth, Multifunction wheel,Cruise, Heated Front Seats, Folding Mirrors, Rear Parking Sensor and some other bits.

Fossie

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Dandle View Post
    Bit of an odd mix of tyres there. The P6000 is dire an absolutely lethal in the wet, people who know nothing about tyres seem to buy them because they are from a main brand. The F1 Asymmetric is a last generation tyre and been replaced by the Asymmetric 2, it was and still is a very good tyre winning many reviews but suffered with alot of wear. The Asymmetric 2 advances many of the originals pro points with much better wear characteristics. The Falken 452 is a mid range tyre and only seems to get a lot of praise when you start comparing it to other tyres in that price range. Cant really comment to much on the Sportmaxx its never been at the top of the reviews I've read and not been at the bottom either.

The Michelin Pilot Sport 2 you have on now is a really good tyre for both performance and life, it's been replaced now by the Pilot Super Sport (not the Pilot Sport 3 Like alot of people think) as the UHP tyre for Michelin. Any tyre from Michelin though seems to command a silly premium over the over premium brands. My personal choice for tyres at the moment would be the Asymmetric 2(have these on my BMW now) or the Continental Sport Contact 5 both of which have increased life over their predecessors while offering best in class performance if you ever actually need it.

If you look through these articles you'll get an idea of how the various different tyres have performed Tyre Articles | the online tyre guide
    Thanks Dandle - the original mix of choices were just 'plucked' from various bits I had read !

Tending to lean towards Rainsport 2's which seem to have good reports and are reasonably priced. Do you have any experience of these ?

1st Gear

Status

Yeah one is extra load which being audi is usually the one you need. There was two types when i went in and they explained about extra load.

4th Gear

Status
    Never used them but they are from Uniroyal which is one of Continental tyres European Midrange brands. Don't get confused with them being called the rain tyre. They aren't the best in the rain that was a slogan that they used before they were bought out and Conti have kept it on. They aren't focussed on rain performance its just a name. That said they get reasonable reviews although in that price range theres a tyre from Hankook called the V12 Evo which has one some of the tests over the most expensive UHP tyres from premium manufacturers. If that was the price bracket your looking at I would probably go for them.

Going to kwikfit your limiting you choices and being limited with price. Alot of the online websites offer delivery to a local tyre fitter and fitting as part of the package have you thought about trying some of them. mytyres, Blackcircles just to get you browsing.

Fossie

Status
    Just been out and checked current tyre ratings.

They are all 91 Y's

Would like to think I could stay within £110 per corner so will ask around for a few fitting prices .

Thanks everyone for massive response and valuable feedback and I'll let you know what I decide.

Cheers all !

4th Gear

Status
    From having a quick look it seems that you can go from the Rainsport 2 to the Sportcontact 3 or the Asymmetric 2 for only an extra £5-6 per tyre. For that price it would be a no brainer for me not to fit the midrange tyre. Also seems that the tyre rating for you car is a 91V same as my wifes Seat Altea 2.0 but check your manual to be sure.

Let us know how you get on and good luck.

Fossie

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Dandle View Post
    From having a quick look it seems that you can go from the Rainsport 2 to the Sportcontact 3 or the Asymmetric 2 for only an extra £5-6 per tyre. For that price it would be a no brainer for me not to fit the midrange tyre. Also seems that the tyre rating for you car is a 91V same as my wifes Seat Altea 2.0 but check your manual to be sure.

Let us know how you get on and good luck.
    Thanks again mate - I'll get back to you

c_w
    5th Gear

Status
    Have Goodyear Asymmetric on my BMW, great wet or dry, quietish, and wearing really well.

5th Gear

Status
    Another shout on goodyears
    07 2.0T SLine SE V2 Quattro, Full Milltek with hi-flow sports cat, APR Stage 2+ 280BHP/325lb/ft, APR HPFP, K&N panel, S4 alloys, Spacers, Black Optics, Eibachs, RS4 grill and fogs, Fog tints, RS4 ARB, RS4 Gearstick, LCR splitter, Black Calipers, Drilled discs, Debadged, Colour DIS, Bose, Adaptive Xenons/DRL, Black/Silver Audi Exclusive leather, Audi Carbon inlays, carbon difuser/B pillars, RNS-E+/Bluetooth, Cruise, Int/ext light packs, Rain/light sensors, mudflaps, LED plate/side/boot/interior

Fossie

Status
    Just had a quick scout round - how does Goodyear Assy 2's at £112 fitted sound ?

£102 from mytyres.co.uk delivered and £10 fitted, balanced etc. incl disposal of old.

5th Gear

Status
    Bloody good, what size?
    07 2.0T SLine SE V2 Quattro, Full Milltek with hi-flow sports cat, APR Stage 2+ 280BHP/325lb/ft, APR HPFP, K&N panel, S4 alloys, Spacers, Black Optics, Eibachs, RS4 grill and fogs, Fog tints, RS4 ARB, RS4 Gearstick, LCR splitter, Black Calipers, Drilled discs, Debadged, Colour DIS, Bose, Adaptive Xenons/DRL, Black/Silver Audi Exclusive leather, Audi Carbon inlays, carbon difuser/B pillars, RNS-E+/Bluetooth, Cruise, Int/ext light packs, Rain/light sensors, mudflaps, LED plate/side/boot/interior

5th Gear

Status
    As for disposal of own, stick them on eBay, you'll get a few quid for them, got over 20 each for my old ones

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast