Whats up with my ashtray?

Smiffi

Reaction score
Hey guys, I was just driving along today having a fiddle and opened my ashtray for the very first time. Now it won't stay shut! Anyone had this before and more importantly, do you know how to fix it? I've only had the car days so I don't really want to hand it back to Audi yet!!

What I have found is that it takes a very gentle press to make sure it stays closed. So, just close it slowly and gently, and it should stay closed as it is supposed to. The mechanism is a bit tricky, so treat it gently, and it should respond correctly. Good luck.

Try pressing it in the middle than the left or right. I had the same prob try differing pressure too you'll figure it out as I did.

Cheers guys, I've pressed everywhere with different levels of pressure but it just pops back up. I'll try again tomorrow and report back, hopefully with good news!

Cheers Mike but the car is only a couple of weeks old so mr Audi can buy me a new one.

maybe its waiting for you to flick some fag ash in it?

What I forgot to say in my previous post.....with ours, if you press it down when it is half open, it just opens again. However, if you wait until it is fully open, THEN press it down gently, it locks down OK. Hope this helps.

Hi smiffy, it seems to me that this is a bit of a design floor! when i was looking for a used A3, nearly every one i looked at had the same probs!! Take a look at used A3's on audi's website, you see loads with the ashtrays open. Decided on a brand new A3 BE, think i'll leave the ashtray well alone!
Hey guys, I was just driving along today having a fiddle and opened my ashtray for the very first time. Now it won't stay shut! Anyone had this before and more importantly, do you know how to fix it? I've only had the car days so I don't really want to hand it back to Audi yet!!

Easiest thing is to order 'non-smoking pack'.

Then you get a storage area instead of ashtray - problem gone !!

Cheers for all the replies. Try as I might, I can not get the lid to stay shut. Seems like it's a common issue. Is it easy to remove the ashtray and fit the storage tray? How does it look? I quite like the look of the piano black ashtray cover!

Cheers for all the replies. Try as I might, I can not get the lid to stay shut. Seems like it's a common issue. Is it easy to remove the ashtray and fit the storage tray? How does it look? I quite like the look of the piano black ashtray cover!

Not hard need to remove gear knob surround (just pulls up) then take the star key screws out holding the ash tray down. Also need the two triangle trims either side which are just and Allen key from underneath, then just wiggle out If I remember right careful of plastic trim at the back that pulls out too but careful of the clips.
Then just slot the storage tray in fit the triangle pillars and fix back down and your done, max 20 min.

5ec3e733.jpg

An ash tray is a storage area.................with a lid :) i bought mine even though i dont smoke for that very reason as they took the storage tray out of the dash. Handy for the Dartford crossing toll cash :)

TBH I sometimes find the storage area a pita, but ashtray is good for coins, but sometimes with dsg its also a pita, cant win lol

Cheers for that Blackburn, much appreciated. Not sure what to do. Think I'll let Audi replace my broken ashtray and if it breaks again I will put a tray in. I like how it looks with the lid on.

Just last week I removed my ashtray and installed the storage tray.
I now keep my coins in the rear ashtray which is just as easy to reach.

Pet hate of the 8P is lack of storage, no where to just place your phone down, etc.

I love the storage tray and looks great!

Just last week I removed my ashtray and installed the storage tray.
I now keep my coins in the rear ashtray which is just as easy to reach.

Pet hate of the 8P is lack of storage, no where to just place your phone down, etc.

I love the storage tray and looks great!

+1 nowhere to get in and just drop your wallet and phone. That was one good thing on my 1 series perfect little slot right next to you. Storage tray is okay but not lots of room to get your hand in for change if you have double din.

Havnt you lot got a little storage area on the right of the steering wheel, lower on the dash. Drop your phone in there. Its made for it and if you have rnse and blu tooth then you dont even need to get to it. Ive got bins under the seats, door pockets, arm rest storage and under the arm rest storage, a glove box and an ash tray and srorage in front of that as well.........how much do you need :) There is even a hook for your hand bags on the door pillar :lmfao:

Havnt you lot got a little storage area on the right of the steering wheel, lower on the dash. Drop your phone in there. Its made for it and if you have rnse and blu tooth then you dont even need to get to it. Ive got bins under the seats, door pockets, arm rest storage and under the arm rest storage, a glove box and an ash tray and srorage in front of that as well.........how much do you need :) There is even a hook for your hand bags on the door pillar :lmfao:

haha i see your point.
The storage to the right of the dash is full with the remote clicker from my work garage door (it's big and bulky and takes up all the room).
I have my first aid kit stored in the driver's seat storage compartment and no passenger seat compartment.
I keep my wallet in the arm rest and don't like putting my phone in there because when you lift it up, it bangs down and scratches the phone.
Although I have bluetooth and RNS, i often have my phone out if I get a message, etc so having somewhere to just 'put it down' is incredibly handy.
I don't put anything in the door pockets because the move around when you drive.
Glove box is not a convenient spot to put your phone, etc.

Although there is storage in the 8P, nothing to just put something down temporarily.

haha i see your point.
The storage to the right of the dash is full with the remote clicker from my work garage door (it's big and bulky and takes up all the room).
I have my first aid kit stored in the driver's seat storage compartment and no passenger seat compartment.
I keep my wallet in the arm rest and don't like putting my phone in there because when you lift it up, it bangs down and scratches the phone.
Although I have bluetooth and RNS, i often have my phone out if I get a message, etc so having somewhere to just 'put it down' is incredibly handy.
I don't put anything in the door pockets because the move around when you drive.
Glove box is not a convenient spot to put your phone, etc.

Although there is storage in the 8P, nothing to just put something down temporarily.

+1 again lol my work phone goes in the compartment to the right of the steering wheel and iphone usually in the cradle but nowhere to just drop them both.
under seat storage has my sunglasses and agreed anything in the door card tray just makes the most annoying noise sliding backwards and forwards.

Sounds to me like you need a trailer :) I dont carry anything with me except a wallet in my back pocket and occasionally a phone on my jeans pocket but TBH i only ever carry a phone on a journey in case i need to call the AA or something.

What about the 'under arm rest' tray with a roller shutter type lid that covers the cup holder ? I just plonk mine on there and can also charge with an extending lead to the cig lighter.