Wheel Alignment and balancing:

OVRA3

Reaction score
Afternoon all,

Just popped the beast in for the annual MOT, and pleased to say all good other than the tracking and camber I think they said being well out, which to be honest I havent noticed, although the rear brakes have been squeaking a bit not sure if that has anything to do with it. They have qouted £77 to sort it out.. Just wondered if that is reasonable or not and could the brakes have sounded squeaky because of it?? Though I'd get it done anyway as its not long had 4 new tyres and being a Quattro thought it best..

What do you think??

Cheers guys

I don't see how it would make your brakes squeak ? That is not going to be anything to do with alignment or balancing, but is a common problem on A3's and TT's as well...normally solved by putting some copper grease on the back of the pads.

As for the alignment, if you have just put four new tyres on, then it would be a sensible thing to do in my opinion.

You should be able to get a decent 4 wheel laser alignment for a little less than that.

Did they say what alignment equipment they use?

What wez said. 4 wheel laser alignment is a definate, don't just get tracking done. Tracking afaik is only the front wheels, 4 wheel laser alignment sorts out everything and makes sure the car tracks straight and true, no crabbing effect that you could find after having jus the fronts tracked. Im soon to do the same with my car once the new tyres are on aswell as balancing all round. Make sure u get wheel weights for the inside not the horrid ones that sit on the lip of the wheel

Guys thanks for all your help... Still got the squaky rear :-( but will try the copper grease and see what happens... In regards to the allignment they did (not tracking not very technically minded can you tell) it was laser with a printout... Printout was shocking all over the place I think -6% on one side... So glad I had it done, got a few compliments about the car from the Garage so I think they were kind and used the weights for the inside, still think they look tatty though but cant be helped I guess.. This copper grease thing how do you do... Sorry not very good with the tech stuff!!!