Chris NottVolks Autos
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: A3 2.0TDi 140 Siren noise from turbo??

Neutral

Status

A3 2.0TDi 140 Siren noise from turbo??

Hey,

I've not long since bought by 2.0tdi 140 a3 (06) and i've never driven a turbo diesel before so i have no idea how there supposed to sound, but mine makes a quiet siren like noise around 1400-2200rpm which sounds a bit like a police car. Now I've read up a little bit on the net and there seems to be a split oppinion as to whether this is normal for a tdi or if its the turbo about to go bang.

when i bought the car i checked with the previous garage that had sold it and they said that the turbo was replaced on the car (less than a year ago) so im hoping this is just a characteristic of this turbo model :S

I've got no loss of power whatsoever and everything else is superb....

*fingers crossed*

Thanks

DC

2. # ADS
    ADS

3rd Gear

Status
    It shouldn't have that noise normally, I'm having my turbo replaced tomorrow because of the police siren noise (170 pd)

They are sensitive to the oil used, Audi put the wrong oil in mine so I've managed to get a new turbo out of them

I was the same as you (no loss of power etc) but the noise was getting annoying, if you can live with the noise there's every chance it will continue to run for ages

6th Gear

Status
    The A3's I've had and the others i've driven have all done this. My current A3 does it, if it's not broke then don't fit it mate.

Mine seems to be only when cold, first thing in a morning for example. As soon as it's been driven and warm i don't notice the noise.
    Audi A3 2.0L TDI S-Line Sportback

Neutral

Status
    I'll be honest, the noise is a little annoying but its only just above noticeable. I've read horror stories about it blowing up and causing serious damage to the engine, so although id be happy to just accept the noise of the tdi, i definitely want to be sure that its working correctly so i can put my mind at ease.

Is there anything else that this could be?

If i did have to put a new turbo in, could i use the one from the 170?

Neutral

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by cloughy View Post
    They are sensitive to the oil used, Audi put the wrong oil in mine so I've managed to get a new turbo out of them
    I wasnt aware of this, any recommendations for oil?

3rd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by DCW87 View Post
    I wasnt aware of this, any recommendations for oil?
    any oil that meets 507.00 specifications will be suitable, the oil that VW uses is called Quantum Longlife 3

I think I remember seeing someone who had bolted on a 170 turbo

I happily admit I've got OCD when it comes to cars but the police siren definitely was not there when I bought it, 1 month after my Audi service it started making the noise

When my girlfriend (who is a technical retard when it come to cars) says 'what's that siren noise?' I then knew it wasn't just my OCD!

JNP
    1st Gear

Status
    Normally means the turbo is on the way out but I'm sure that plenty of people on here will make the comment that they have had the "siren noise" coming from their turbo's for years and had no issues!
    S3 8L AMK 51' - V3 Badger TIP - Jetex Cone w/ Heatshield - Forge FMDV008 - DS2500 Front Pads - 312/256 Discs - HR Sportkit

Audi Retrofitter

Status
    North, East, South, West London & Dartford in Kent

My Social Networking

Visit Ash187's Instagram Channel
    the 'police siren' noise from the turbo usually is a sign of a turbo on its way out. i almost bought an A3 before getting my one that had that sound on it and its painfully annoying. take it to a garage to get a professional opinion.
    my current car just makes a small 'dump valve' like sound when coming off the accelerator which is totally normal.
    A3 Sportback 2.0TDI
    Dark Headlining, Bose, Alcantara Leather, Lights Pack

MODS:
    S3 facelift, 19" RS6, RS3 Grill, TTRS FBMFSW, A5 S-Line Heated Seats, Bi-Xenons, Auto Lights & Wipers, Eibach Sportlines, S3 brakes, Cruise, Pioneer HU, Reverse Camera, OEM Parking Sensors, Auto Folding & Dimming Dumbo Mirrors, LED Tail Lights, S3 Pedals, Tints, Carbon Trims.

Items for Sale
    Read My Blog & Build Thread

Neutral

Status
    Yeah im going to get it diagnosed asap, i'll let you guys know how i get on. Spoke to a guy at the garage who said that it might be a hose thats connected to the turbo? I've not much experience when it comes to cars, is this something i could check myself or will i need to wait until i take it in?

1st Gear

Status
    Hey,

I've not long since bought by 2.0tdi 140 a3 (06) and i've never driven a turbo diesel before so i have no idea how there supposed to sound, but mine makes a quiet siren like noise around 1400-2200rpm which sounds a bit like a police car. Now I've read up a little bit on the net and there seems to be a split oppinion as to whether this is normal for a tdi or if its the turbo about to go bang.

when i bought the car i checked with the previous garage that had sold it and they said that the turbo was replaced on the car (less than a year ago) so im hoping this is just a characteristic of this turbo model :S

I've got no loss of power whatsoever and everything else is superb....

*fingers crossed*

Thanks

DC
    Mines the same - had the turbo replaced last year according to service history & receipts.

The garage I bought it from told me that a lot make that noise and it wasn't a problem - they even offered to let us drive all the other A3's they had on the forecourt, we took 2 of the diesels they had out (I was being majorly paranoid so took them up on it) and they were the same to varying degrees (1 was a 170 and a 140 like mine but about 2 years younger IIRC).

Tbh I don't even notice it unless I have no music on so as far as I'm concerned if its not causing any trouble I'll live with it.

Very interesting what cloughy says about the oil though - think i'll be trying the one mentioned when the service is due.

Neutral

Status
    It shouldn't have that noise normally, I'm having my turbo replaced tomorrow because of the police siren noise (170 pd)
    Hope it sorts it out for you mate, can you let me know how it goes? Have you had it diagnosed at all btw?

Neutral

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by AllThatGlitters View Post
    Mines the same - had the turbo replaced last year according to service history & receipts.

The garage I bought it from told me that a lot make that noise and it wasn't a problem - they even offered to let us drive all the other A3's they had on the forecourt, we took 2 of the diesels they had out (I was being majorly paranoid so took them up on it) and they were the same to varying degrees (1 was a 170 and a 140 like mine but about 2 years younger IIRC).

Tbh I don't even notice it unless I have no music on so as far as I'm concerned if its not causing any trouble I'll live with it.

Very interesting what cloughy says about the oil though - think i'll be trying the one mentioned when the service is due.
    I've read that it can just be down to minor differences in the manufacturing of the turbo unit, if its been done in the last 12 months im hoping that this is just what it is? Have you noticed any increase in noise levels/change of pitch?

p.s. the blackout chrome grill is a great shout, got one on mine and it really sets it aside!

1st Gear

Status
    I've read that it can just be down to minor differences in the manufacturing of the turbo unit, if its been done in the last 12 months im hoping that this is just what it is? Have you noticed any increase in noise levels/change of pitch?

p.s. the blackout chrome grill is a great shout, got one on mine and it really sets it aside!
    Yeh mine was done last spring I think and I got the car in September - theres been no variation or change since I've had it so I'm gonna live & let live

Thanks! I can't wait to get cracking on actually doing the blacking out, just waiting for a bit of warmth - might be waiting a while at this rate haha

Neutral

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by AllThatGlitters View Post
    Yeh mine was done last spring I think and I got the car in September - theres been no variation or change since I've had it so I'm gonna live & let live

Thanks! I can't wait to get cracking on actually doing the blacking out, just waiting for a bit of warmth - might be waiting a while at this rate haha
    sounds like it might be no cause of concern then?? Will let you know what the garage says anyway as it seems were both in a similar position!

Neutral

Status
    you might find this thread interesting....

'siren' noise from turbo

flying oyster

Status
    have you looked in the mirror it could be the police !
    S3 8L ming blue westys old car shed loads of mods

Neutral

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by flying oyster View Post
    "Sorry officer, i thought it was my turbo!"

1st Gear

Status
    sounds like it might be no cause of concern then?? Will let you know what the garage says anyway as it seems were both in a similar position!
    Let's hope not
    Yeh that'd be interesting - thanks

1st Gear

Status
    I've actually done that before I got used to it!

3rd Gear

Status
    Hope it sorts it out for you mate, can you let me know how it goes? Have you had it diagnosed at all btw?
    thanks mate, I'll report back tomorrow when the work is done, Audi said the turbo was buggered, mind you that was before I slammed all the evidence of the oil mistake on their desk

I'd taken out an aftermarket warranty (3 months ago) just in case Audi weren't going to foot the bill but as they have I've cancelled the policy, the warranty company were all primed and ready to replace my turbo with a reconditioned one

flying oyster

Status
    wrong oil is a commn cause apparently nice to hear you getting one over on audi just a bit worrying they couldnt get it right
    S3 8L ming blue westys old car shed loads of mods

Neutral

Status
    Had the noise since I've owned my 2.0TDI 140 (for about 40,000 miles) and the turbo hasn't blown.
    I've driven a few of the VW Golf and A3 2.0TDI 140s we have in the company car pool and they all have the same noise to varying degrees from low to higher noises. None of them have ever had turbos replaced and some of them have had serious mileage put on them.

I'd be more worried about the cracked cylinder head on the BKD engine than a siren noise!! Now that was a pain in the 2 veg.
    2005 Audi A3 Sportback 2.0TDI DSG S-line
    2012 Skoda Yeti 1.6TDI Greenline II Elegance

Neutral

Status
    wrong oil is a commn cause apparently nice to hear you getting one over on audi just a bit worrying they couldnt get it right
    It definitely is!

Excuse my limited knowledge of car maintenance but ive just thought, Im having my cambelt replaced in a month of two anyway (im on 71k) and i may be wrong but isnt a large percentage of the cost of a turbo down to the labour? If i have my cambelt changed, whilst its apart does it easier, and ultimately cheaper for them to fit a new turbo? by the sound of things i dont think i need one done but I'm just wondering

also, can anyone recommend a good A3 140 2.0tdi maintenance thread, i need to learn about oil types, general up keep (i.e. filters etc.)....

thanks again!

Neutral

Status
    I'd taken out an aftermarket warranty (3 months ago) just in case Audi weren't going to foot the bill but as they have I've cancelled the policy, the warranty company were all primed and ready to replace my turbo with a reconditioned one
    How much was the policy mate?

6th Gear

Status
    the wooooo noise the turbo makes as it spools up is quite normal. if you can only just hear it from the drivers seat with the windows up then thats normal.
    much louder than that and id say theres something not right.
    if youve got no drop in power.... check all the air box and air filter is fitted correctly.
    the noise doesnt nessasarily mean the turbo is going to implode.
    might just be a slight jimp in one of the impeller fins from a foreign object, had this on a 320d bmw recently, only on removal did we see it. ofcourse this in itself may unbalance the turbo shaft and cause it to fail prematurly.

3rd Gear

Status
    How much was the policy mate?
    £330 for 13 months, interest free I was paying £29/month, it included wear and tear (gocar was the company)

If you need service items like oil and filters this is a good site

http://www.vwspares.co.uk/

Fossie

Status
    £330 for 13 months, interest free I was paying £29/month, it included wear and tear (gocar was the company)

If you need service items like oil and filters this is a good site

VW Parts - Audi Parts - AVS Car Parts
    13 x 29 = 377 !

330 - 377 = 14.25% increase

Who said it was interest free ? lol

3rd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by mike foster View Post
    13 x 29 = 377 !

330 - 377 = 14.25% increase

Who said it was interest free ? lol
    I didn't say anything about making 13 payments, it's over 11 months interest free

Fossie

Status
    I didn't say anything about making 13 payments, it's over 11 months interest free
    Touche !!

3rd Gear

Status
    turbo was replaced yesterday including an oil change with longlife oil, the siren noise has now gone

Neutral

Status
    turbo was replaced yesterday including an oil change with longlife oil, the siren noise has now gone
    Cheers mate, I'm going to start with an Oil change alongside a turbo diagnosis and take it from there.

1st Gear

Status

Quote Originally Posted by murran View Post
    the wooooo noise the turbo makes as it spools up is quite normal. if you can only just hear it from the drivers seat with the windows up then thats normal.
    much louder than that and id say theres something not right.
    if youve got no drop in power.... check all the air box and air filter is fitted correctly.
    the noise doesnt nessasarily mean the turbo is going to implode.
    might just be a slight jimp in one of the impeller fins from a foreign object, had this on a 320d bmw recently, only on removal did we see it. ofcourse this in itself may unbalance the turbo shaft and cause it to fail prematurly.
    Iv had my a3 for about 14 months now and have been interested in this turbo noise ever since my dad asked what the noise was it didn't do it when I bought it (I don't think) so I assume it just got worse over time

Then around 3 months Ago Mine started with the over boost problems due to "sticky vanes" so I tried to clean with various chemicals without removing the turbo with no success at all!

So I finally gave up and whilst I was away skiing last week left my car with the garage for a clean of the turbo cam belt mot and oil and filter service.

I went up to pay for the work today after picking the car up last night and he said that the impellers on the exhaust side had chips missing. Just like the quote above!
    The variable vanes looked like they had bits of the vanes stuck to them.

So here is my thought I think the noise is caused by the chipped vanes and the metal speeds up the carbon build up and seizes the vanes .......

Another think what chips the vanes?

Any one shed any light?

2nd Gear

Status

turbo

I serviced mine when i bought it mate with siren noise then had to service again week after when i had the turbo reconed the siren noise has now gone.

Quote Originally Posted by DCW87:1504071
    Cheers mate, I'm going to start with an Oil change alongside a turbo diagnosis and take it from there.

2nd Gear

Status
    Best way to test sticking broken vaines i was told was to put your foot down hard in third or fourth on a steep hill to put load on the turbo see if it will go into limp mode mine did

5th Gear

Status
    I'm getting limp mode quite a lot with over boost codes. What's recommended?

Enthusiast

Status

Re: A3 2.0TDi 140 Siren noise from turbo??

Quote Originally Posted by smurfworth View Post
    I'm getting limp mode quite a lot with over boost codes. What's recommended?
    New or reconditioned turbo I this case.
    Unless you want to strip down and clean.
    VCDS USER

1st Gear

Status

I have one that was removed from a golf after a hybrid upgrade iv cleaned internally and all impellers and bearings are sound if your interested pm me
    Baza1819 likes this.

5th Gear

Status
    Cars under warranty so money for buying parts isn't an issue however the warranty does need to be a mechanical failure for them to pay out. They wouldn't pay out for over boosting would they?

Going to run some turbo cleaner through it to see if it unsticks the veins first.

Do most places simply replace the turbo due to over boosting?

1st Gear

Status

Quote Originally Posted by smurfworth View Post
    Cars under warranty so money for buying parts isn't an issue however the warranty does need to be a mechanical failure for them to pay out. They wouldn't pay out for over boosting would they?

Going to run some turbo cleaner through it to see if it unsticks the veins first.

Do most places simply replace the turbo due to over boosting?
    If you have a Quattro I wouldn't even bother trying the prop shaft is in the way and its a pain in the arse to get off!!

If you just have a FWD There is a thread on here with a how to which is quite good

Reverse Gear

Status
    the cold air inlet to the turbo has a seal.

if this seal isnt perfect, it makes the siren noise.
    but like loads of people have said , it doesnt affect performance

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast