Windscreen

mathu

Reaction score
hey, i jus noticed a crack on my windscreen and i figured while its getting replaced i might aswel get a windscreen with the sensors for the auto lights and auto wipers, ect. features.

my question is how do i get Autoglass or National windscreens to put in the newer windscreen instead of the standard one as I'm doing it through my insurance and also what other parts do i need at the same time?

thanks

i would insist on a genuine windscreen, but, regarding on the company/policy this might not be possible!
give them a ring and tell them you would prefer a gen windscreen for authenticity!
some companies dont offer this option sadly and you might have to accept there offer of a reproduction glass! that wont fit 100% perfect or provide proper sound insulation! or any other extras you are after!
give them a ring to find out!

i did mine, i got all the parts in advance and fitted it all in and then got the cracked windscreen changed last. It helped that all the wires were in place as the fitters just changed over the windscreen and then plugged in the new mirror and sensor that i had ready for them.
when you ring up the insurance they always ask you if you have a rain sensor fitted which you just tell them that you do and so they will just order you the rain sensing windscreen. when the guys turn up to do the install they may say that you dont have the right windscreen but just show them the auto dimming mirror and rain/light sensor and they should just go ahead with the install.

for the complete part list:

Auto lights install...

rain sensing windscreen
rain and light sensor (i have one for sale)
bracket for rain and light sensor - 4F0 907 671 A
gel pad for rain sensor - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/RAIN-LIGHT...item19c4c3b024
interior rear view dimming mirror - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/audi-a3-a4...item4ab34398a5
headlight switch for auto lights on halogen headlights - 8J2 941 531 L
Coming home button connector - 4D0 971 636
repair pins for connectors (x4) - 000 979 009 E
Wiring loom for autolights install - http://www.kufatec.co.uk/shop/produc...udi-A3-8P.html

If you need any help with the install let me know!

Last edited:
I've got a grey auto-dimming mirror for £40 + P&P. Bought it for my last car which was written off, new car already has it. Can be painted black if needs be.:sm4:

Last edited:
thanks guys for all the help, quick question who should i contact first, my insurance or national windscreen/autoglass?

call the insurance... for all you know they dont use those companies.
its much easier through insurance as well as they contact the windscreen people for you... all you do is tell them that you do have a rain sensing windscreen and what time you are available.

itwasntme187, do u know how to wire up the whole thing and how much of the wiring shud i exactly do before they come so that all they have to do is install the new windscreen?

yes i can install the whole retrofit. i have done it on mine and others.
I would wire it all up so basically the last thing left to fit is the mirror and sensor (which fit onto the new windscreen)
everything else should be in place before hand.

PM me for further info on install