If there's one thing I loathe.......

JamesS4cab

Reaction score
It's mother frackers that go back on their word.

A guy came and saw my s3 last Friday week and we went for a test drive and he ummd and ahhhhhd and then after a number of calls and emails and texts we agreed a on a price.

As the deal was done on the phone it was difficult to ask for a deposit to secure the car so I told the buyer that I didn't want to be fracked about but was happy to accept a gentlemans agreement to secure the car. What a mistake.

Deal done.

He then decided that he wouldn't take the car immediately as it had the private plate was on and so he would wait until I had got the original plate back on. I then reminded him that we had a verbal agreement and if I went ahead and paid for the plate transfer we were signed sealed and ready to deliver.

Sent the DVLA the documents and a cheque for £105 last week and been sat waiting.

Got a text this morning from the buyer saying that he had changed his mind and he didn't want to go ahead. Didn't even have the decency to call me do I called him and asked what the frack he was playing at. Said He had found another one and that it was my fault for not budging enough on price and that I was asking too much etc etc. We had agreed on a price and had a verbal agreement. He then told me it was my hard luck and that he wasn't prepared to make good the cost of the DVLA fees as I had told him that if I didnt sell to him I would be keeping it.

Anyway. Thoroughly ****** off and now can't decide what to do.

So if FRAZER or PHIL DAINTON from Bracknell are reading this - you are a bunch of tossers that have no concept of what a decent person would do when they make a verbal agreement and what we even agreed was a gentlemans agreement and "I would never frack anyone around". frack you. I hope you buy some piece of shot and save a couple of hundred quid and have years of misery.

Reactions: RallyX
So sorry to hear your tale of woe James.

You have, in fact, learned a very important lesson and it's only cost you £105 !

Not everyone are what they seem to be and not everyone is an honourable person. Gentlemens' agreements are all well and good but not everyone is a gentleman and clearly this tosser isn't !

Most annoying, I know, but put it down to experience mate and move on. You will sell it soon should you so wish, but get an electronic bank transfer (or cash) deposit next time.

Good luck matey

Thanks Mike. Just need to find her a good home now.

There are so many f*****g tw@ts and nobheads who fantasise about S3 ownership I'd rather trade the car back in at a dealership and take the hit than entertain going through the formal sales process privately.

I took a (stupid) punt and put my 8P2 on eBay because I thought if I could match the dealer price and someone could get he car without paying dealer screen price a week later. End of day 1 on the bay I'd had over 20 offers asking me to end auction early at less than buy it now price. I'd clearly stated in auction that it would run to end / no stupid offers / no time wasters, and yet the chancers continued to harass me by PM almost like vultures (assuming I would crack I presume).

In the end I just thought feck them and I pulled it from eBay and gladly traded it to the dealer. I love the way buyers will insult people who offer up an item at a fair price, yet then expect top dollar when they come to sell. eBay has turned private sale of goods into a car boot sale.

So sorry for you James, though I hate to say it trust no one, the world is full of cheap skate dreamers who need castrating / rant over.

Reactions: Paullie and Kelza
Its a shame James as gives the few of us who are gents a bad name.

I bought and sold a colleagues Fiesta recently after his father had sadly passed away, I promised the first caller first refusal and in between his call and the actual viewing I had several calls offering more money as I had priced it to sell, I took all the details but sold the car to the first caller for the original price, yes I could have made an extra few hundred quid but I like to treat people as I would like to be treated, don't let this tosser put you off - No doubt you will sell the S3 pretty soon, good luck mate.

I am so sorry that this has happened to you mate as I have bought stuff off you and you are a very trust worthy guy and made my purchase off you very easy and never caused me any stress. You are a top class guy my friend and I am furious that some pr%%k has messed you around I would love to buy your car off you if I had the money as I am 100% sure your car is a great example as you have described it and the price is what it should be not a penny less. Again so gutted for you mate.

Sorry to hear that mate. I suffer of the same thing. Giving people the benefit of the doubt too often. Some scrotes out there couldn't care less and like you say, the word 'decent' doesn't even come into their vocabulary.

Someone will come up that wants it and understands that f**king people over isn't the best way to make friends.

unlucky mate!
some proper tyre kickers out there right now especially with the tinternet these days! with people being able to pick and choose cars virtually!
as previously mentioned an electronic transfer or similar should see you right in future!
hope you get lucky, and sadly you have learnt the hard way! but remember, common sense prevails............. and dont assume everybody is ok and normal! lol! there are some bellends out there dude!
good luck!

there is some real to$$ers out there these days see them most weeks in work they expect the earth for nowt all , hope you find the car a decent home

Had the same problems when I sold my car privately last year.
2 weeks of verbal and email dialogue, agreed a price, collection day etc, and even spoke to the guy when he was "on his way".
The silly boy never came but a genuine fella rang on the same day, viewed the car, liked it , bought it, went away happy, job done.

Yes, it was a pain in the pips but I came away over £2000 (TwoThousand English Pounds) better off than the p/x route. I can see why many choose to p/x but for me the hassle is worth two grand. In fact I am just about go through the process again as my smoker went in the Autotrader at the weekend.

Anyway, good luck James.
Paul

Bit late now but should always take a non-refundable deposit, if he backs out at least you keep that, and it's also an incentive to go through with it. No deposit means the car is still for sale to anyone. It keeps it fair that way as he can (and did) back out with no personal loss to him.

So sorry to hear this, James :(. As Warren and the guys have said, there are lots of dreamers and fantastists around, who would love to buy your S3, but who haven't got a snowball in Hell's chance of owning one. I absolutely despise people who mess decent folks around, ..that guy telling you it's your fault for not budging on the price enough, ..WTF??? What, so he couldn't afford it in the real world, hey? Lol. Your car is a lovely example and the right buyer will come along and give you the coin it's worth, Dude. :wub: xx

As already mentioned, their are very few gentlemen around these days.

When I sold my S3 I took a £500 deposit to take the car off sale whilst we waited for my private plate to get swapped. A week later and I had received several offers of more money than I had agreed with the buyer, but a deal is a deal and they were all told that the car was no longer available.

Treat people as you would like to be treated.

Totally unrelated but a big pet hate is when people ask us to submit a proposal or tender for some work, so you spend hours working on it and submit the details and they NEVER call back or take your calls afterwards. Its obvious they have gone elsewhere which is fine, just *$&%ing tell me!

It's mother frackers that go back on their word.

A guy came and saw my s3 last Friday week and we went for a test drive and he ummd and ahhhhhd and then after a number of calls and emails and texts we agreed a on a price.

As the deal was done on the phone it was difficult to ask for a deposit to secure the car so I told the buyer that I didn't want to be fracked about but was happy to accept a gentlemans agreement to secure the car. What a mistake.

Deal done.

He then decided that he wouldn't take the car immediately as it had the private plate was on and so he would wait until I had got the original plate back on. I then reminded him that we had a verbal agreement and if I went ahead and paid for the plate transfer we were signed sealed and ready to deliver.

Sent the DVLA the documents and a cheque for £105 last week and been sat waiting.

Got a text this morning from the buyer saying that he had changed his mind and he didn't want to go ahead. Didn't even have the decency to call me do I called him and asked what the frack he was playing at. Said He had found another one and that it was my fault for not budging enough on price and that I was asking too much etc etc. We had agreed on a price and had a verbal agreement. He then told me it was my hard luck and that he wasn't prepared to make good the cost of the DVLA fees as I had told him that if I didnt sell to him I would be keeping it.

Anyway. Thoroughly ****** off and now can't decide what to do.

So if FRAZER or PHIL DAINTON from Bracknell are reading this - you are a bunch of tossers that have no concept of what a decent person would do when they make a verbal agreement and what we even agreed was a gentlemans agreement and "I would never frack anyone around". frack you. I hope you buy some piece of shot and save a couple of hundred quid and have years of misery.
Sorry to hear your bad news, you use the word GENTLEMAN; unfortunately they are becoming a rare breed. Good luck with any sale in the future.

Thanks for all of the positive comments guys - much appreciated.

As i said, I am made a big fat school boy error in not arranging a deposit.

Not sure I can be bothered with the hassle of going through all of this again at the moment so maybe some new rims, a FBMFSW and a good wax and polish and I'll spend the money on the wife's car instead!!

Sorry to hear this James, ita never good when your messed about, even worse when it ends up costing you.
Hopefully if and when you do sell it it will all go smoothly next time!
Ill have to bear this all in mind when I put mine up for sale next week!

If the guy thinks you didn't budge enough on your price and went with a cheaper one then he clearly doesn't appreciate what a lovely example of an S3 you have there mate!

Quality over price any day of the week!

Hope she find a good home :)