Manouvering with DSG

nicks3

Reaction score
I am thinking of buying a 3.2 S LIne DSG but my Dad mentioned that he had heard that the DSG cars were quite awkward in town traffic and when parking as the DSG switches on and off and can be jerky. Is this right?

How are 3.2 owners finding their cars in regard to MPG and do they think the performance is worth the extra cost at the pumps?

In town,the logical thing to do is use the 'D' mode,which behaves exactly like any normal automatic.
Parking is also easy-peasy as you just switch from 'R' to 'D' and vice-versa.

If my wife can park with DSG,anyone can.
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif
It's when you start booting it up out of town in manual mode that I,personally,think DSG falls down.

We've heard mention on here of 18mpg from the 3.2 engine.

That's scary.

I've got DSG on my Tdi and don't have a problem with it. As Bowfer says if his wife and my wife can park em then you should be fine.

Bowfer it could have been me mentioning 18mpg average in my r32 - ouch! And that would only run on Optimax. I used to commute 150 miles a day to the office, yes I was very friendly with my shell garage owner /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

J.

The 3.2 drinks the petrol as fast as my ole WR1, getting about 200 miles to a tank, and thats motorway driving.

Dont forget on the 3.2 the DSG blips the throttle on down changes, this is very noticable from 2nd to first.

never found it jerky, but i would assume with age and wear, it might start to get a bit jerky while using DSG round the city.

I use S round the city as its allways ready to launch, of off a roundabout.

If you want a smooth ride maybe a A6 or something ? LOL !!

Don't know what you mean by the DSG switching on and off, but it is great around town in D and parking is a doddle, just remember to get rear acoustic parking sensors.

Regarding the 3.2's drink problem I had 17mpg from my first few fills but after 1000miles it seems much better at 22mpg and steadily improving as the V6 loosens off. A drive to Aberdeen on the weekend returned 28.2mpg on the DIS at cruising speeed, the velocity of which was impressed upon me by Tayside Police's finest in the rear mirror and resulting pink slip.

BTW the DIS lies... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif

dsg is out of this world in heavy traffic and town driving. yes the 3.2 can be thirsty, but only if you work it hard (which you will find it hard not too!!!) it returns the same as my old S3 225 (around 25 average) i've heard it does loosen up - mines got 10k on it and i can get 300miles motorway out of it, if not more. is the performance worth it? for me - yes, the best engine i have ever driven.

NO issues with DSG in town, or the M4 Junc 12 to 8 at 8am on a Monday when its crawling. Its equally brilliant when in town or queuing on the motorway in heavy traffic. That's the main reason I went for it, given I communte up and down the M4 2-3 days week, its great, just flick it from N to D and vice versa when stuck on the motorway, and don't feel knackered when I finally get to the office!

Its also a lot of fun in M on twisty A roads, once you get then hang of the paddles! Just more toys to play with!

MPG, the DIS is out by about 3-4 mpg, I'm getting c44mpg with my TDI.

My mate took a 3.2 TT DSG out the other day on demo (normally drives a 225 TT), said he was pretty horrified by the MPG, did about 50miles (heavy right foot!), and burned up over 1/4 of tank! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif
Funkycat /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

Seems to be a massive difference in mpg's with this engine.

[ QUOTE ]
or the M4 Junc 12 to 8 at 8am on a Monday when its crawling.

[/ QUOTE ]

I do j11 - j7 tues and thurs.

Misano red sline tdi. Give me a wave if you see me.

Eeef

I'll look out for you!

I'm usually in that area around 9am.

Funkycat

you lucky people getting 18-28 MPG out of the 3.2, i'm getting around 10-14 got 6000 miles on the clock.

Mind u i do thrash the bejesus out of it.

Migzy /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

[ QUOTE ]
you lucky people getting 18-28 MPG out of the 3.2, i'm getting around 10-14 got 6000 miles on the clock.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's truly scary.
How the hell can you afford it ???? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/noidea.gif

only drive evenings and weekends, the rest of the time i'm travelling by tube.

migzy

Even if you only do 6000 miles a year Migzy,it's still scary.

At 10 miles a gallon you're spending approx £2400 a year on fuel.

My diesel which,if chipped,would probably (arguably) give your 3.2 a run for it's money,would probably still return 40mpg under the same circumstances.

I'd be spending £600 a year on fuel.

A saving of £1800 a year.
£150 a month.

I like my quick cars as much as the next man but outrageous mpg's just leave me flabbergasted.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Have you checked to make sure you haven't got a hole in the bottom of your fuel tank?

My 'fun car' has a 5.7 litre chevy V8 in it....and I still do better than 10mpg when having a spirited drive.

10 MPG just cannot be right.......no way.

I used to thrash the nuts off my r32 and I never returned an average of 10mpg. On my favourite stretch of road - narrow and very twistie b road the worst I ever managed was 13mpg but that was with the kind of driving that is very antisocial and if caught would have me in prison!

Just using my car in and around town etc my average used to be around 18mpg.

I take it you know theres more than one gear for forward don;t you...

J.

Which part of London you in Migzy?
I only drive evenings and weekends too, and for me the petrol is worth the expense. I wouldn't get the same kind of pleasure starting up a 2.0TDI as i do my big mumma of a V6!

I put about 40 quid a week in mine tops. and do about 6k a year.

Dude-for 10mpg you must be thrashing the ****** thing to shreds!!!! PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE show me the classified when you sell it, i bet it says, "low mileage, one carefull lady owner!"

rock on!

Boys, if you love such low MPG's, why not go the whole hogg and get an S4!!!

I had a 3.2 for a day and a half. Did about 400 miles, mainly up the A1. Saw an indicated 145mph (would have gone for more but it was snowing).

Good pick up at high revs, but compared with the TDi it was gutless and needed loads of revs - actually reminded more of a Civic Type R than a 3.2 V6.

Obviously, compared with the TDi there was at least some point in revving it, but overall I wouldn't like to have the 3.2 as my everyday engine - I much prefer the TDi for its effortless low rev punch.

I averaged 19 mpg, mainly sat at 85ish with the occasional thrash out of roundabouts.

If you have loads of money to burn on fuel and depreciation (and appreciate a V6 noise) get the 3.2, otherwise go for the 2.0T of TDi.

Live in Ealing.

Just got it up to 15mpg, excellent,

Did experience something wierd today though, driving the motor after my lady has had it for 2 days, going into 3rd gear and loose power after 3000 revs, did it again sma ething happened.

Got to my mates and thought, i'd go and give it a good thrash just to make sure it's not ******** and seems fine now.

Any ideas?

Gonna take it to Audi to get the seat runners changed so i'll get them to have a look.
Very strange

Cheers

Migzy

Migzy,does you car seem pretty gutless apart from at high revs ?
I'm just thinking that your car might be suffering from a lack of compression.
You tend not to notice that so much at high revs,but the car will feel dour down the rev range.
Any increase in oil consumption or blue smoke on acceleration,even little puffs at gear changes ?
Might explain your poor mpg as well.

Complete stab in the dark.

Very easily checked by the dealer though.

I wouldn't have thought that 19mpg at steady cruise was good at all, I thought it would be at least 23 ish?

[ QUOTE ]
Boys, if you love such low MPG's, why not go the whole hogg and get an S4!!!

[/ QUOTE ]

A3 3.2... £24,130
S4... £37,115

You never love low MPG, you just tolerate it.

[ QUOTE ]
I wouldn't like to have the 3.2 as my everyday engine -

[/ QUOTE ]

Nor would i, i'd be bankrupt in a week. But for weekend blasts to put a smile on my face, tractors just don't do it for me!.

[ QUOTE ]
I wouldn't have thought that 19mpg at steady cruise was good at all, I thought it would be at least 23 ish?

[/ QUOTE ]

mine cruises easily on the motorway at 30mpg. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Got to my mates and thought, i'd go and give it a good thrash just to make sure it's not ********

[/ QUOTE ]

quality /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh_roll.gif

dealers said it was dirty injectors, wacked some STP in it from halfords and seems to have improved a bit.

Cheers

Migzy

Obviously I'm not an Audi trained mechanic Migzy,but that sounds like garage claptrap to me...

If it were dirty injectors I'd expect rough running/misfiring etc.etc.

I would also dispute your injectors could get that dirty in 6000 miles.

Apart from the fact that fuel just isn't that dirty these days,and often features cleaning agents designed to prevent this,your fuel filtering systems shouldn't let this happen either.

Sounds like they didn't really have a clue so opened up their big book of bullcrap.

i'll make sure the delearship takes a look when i get the runners changed over.

they were banging on about that if i made loads of short trips then the catalyst converter gets clogged and all the other malarki.

Migzy

I am now on my second 3.2 with DSG. Both the TT and A3 suffered from poor consumption for the first couple of thousand miles then freed up significantly. The TT averaged just over 25 mpg for the 12000 miles I had it and the A3 has just about got there with 3700 on the clock.

The DIS is scary especially when accelerating hard.

I drove the 3.2 over the weekend and found that the mpg was better on the DSG over the Manual.

I got on the DIS round town in the DSG in D mode 25 -28 MPG. In a manual round 21-23 MPG. On the motorway at around 70-75 miles "speed" round 33-35mpg same for the manual.

Parking the DSG NO problem