Oettinger re-map + Track

shresh

Reaction score
Website
none
well I got to down to RSD last week for a remap, and what a difference! It honestly feels like a new car, although not quite as crazy as I had dreamt it might. A quick stop at Silverstone to watch some testing soon got me in the mood to push it further. Such a worthwhile mod, I can't believe it took me so long to do.

Anyway, got onto a track day at Lydden Hill on Monday morning. It was my first, and I did feel a bit out of place being in the newest car there, the most standard car there, and the only diesel there - but I was hoping the Oettinger badge on my boot would lend me some credibility! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Things went well, the car handled well and predictably. However my brakes didn't take the pounding too well. They were smoking after each 20 min session and I'm not sure if that means I need new discs or new pads or both. And could there have been any lasting damage as a result?

The highlight was keeping up (occasionally overtaking) my mate's rx7 while his 'tyres were warming up', but its something I will definitely do again - hopefully after a coilover kit and big brake kit.

Track it if you have it! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

[ QUOTE ]
well I got to down to RSD last week for a remap, and what a difference! It honestly feels like a new car, although not quite as crazy as I had dreamt it might. A quick stop at Silverstone to watch some testing soon got me in the mood to push it further. Such a worthwhile mod, I can't believe it took me so long to do.

Anyway, got onto a track day at Lydden Hill on Monday morning. It was my first, and I did feel a bit out of place being in the newest car there, the most standard car there, and the only diesel there - but I was hoping the Oettinger badge on my boot would lend me some credibility! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Things went well, the car handled well and predictably. However my brakes didn't take the pounding too well. They were smoking after each 20 min session and I'm not sure if that means I need new discs or new pads or both. And could there have been any lasting damage as a result?

The highlight was keeping up (occasionally overtaking) my mate's rx7 while his 'tyres were warming up', but its something I will definitely do again - hopefully after a coilover kit and big brake kit.

Track it if you have it! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

You wont go wrong with Oettinger or RSD. They are a great bunch!

WIth regard to the brakes, this is nothing really to worry about... But track sessions do show how good standard brakes arent. The new A3 must be much better than the old one though!

Rich

Sounds great Shresh, is there a vast difference from 0-60, and mid-range punch?

agree with you there Rich, the brakes do leave something to be desired on track, but are great on the road - I wanted to test the standard set up before tweaking. Obviously a standard engine map would have left me trailing behind everyone though!

Tdi - 1st gear is even harder to make the most of now, but as has been said before, 3rd feels like 2nd used to, 4th like 3rd.... mid punch is exceptional and i've had 2.0Ts on the motorway, but I'm not sure if they've given it a 100%. On the downside I've been told the car smokes a lot when i pull away, but when moving its not noticeable. Motorway cruising in 6th is much more versatile now.

The standard brakes on the A3 do leave a little to be desired... Been looking into upgrading them to bigger discs but keeping the standard calipers and pads and just using another models brackets relocate the calipers.

I've done a few track days and they are VERY addictive /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

J.

... and VERY expensive!!

So what sort brake solutions have you come up with MB? Have you taken the TDI on track?

No not my Tdi but my previous rides have ventured out onto the track in the past.

With regards to the brake solution it will be OEM I have a man working on it at the mo, which reminds me I need to chase him up!

J.

I've done umpteen trackdays on bikes,and instructed at quite a few Knockhill ones.
Standard roadbikes are perfectly capably on track.

I've never had the urge to try them in car,especially a front wheel drive one.

I've been round Knockhill in an RS4 Avant support/doctor's car before.

That seemed boring,and the driver just sat there with one hand on the wheel chatting to me,it was so easy and unremarkable.

If a quickish car like that can seem boring round a track,I'll leave it I think...

I wonder what sort of lap time my car would do round Knockhill.Ages,I bet. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/noidea.gif

unfortunately i have no experience of bikes, although I am considering it, and no hi-speed rear wheel drive or quattro experience either. But I still managed to have fun on the track - it was more of a case of finding the edge and staying there and pushing it further, than outright speed, speed was a secondarty factor (as it has to be in a 2.0 TDi!) After all you can't time yourself anyway.

But having said that, the only reason I want coilovers and bigger brakes is for more speed! But thats more a matter of my pride, and wanting to beat certain cars!

[ QUOTE ]
unfortunately i have no experience of bikes, although I am considering it

[/ QUOTE ]

You definitely should.
Once you get to the level that you feel you can do a track day,you'd love it.
When I did instruct,which was a few years ago now admittedly,the best bit was seeing the sheer elation on riders' faces when you got them to the point that they were sliding their knees.

Bikes are far closer to their race-counterparts than cars as well.
For example,it's relatively easy to get a 600 round Knockhill in under a minute.
That's only around 7-10 seconds a lap slower than a full race one.

Can you imagine the difference in lap time between a road legal A3 and a touring car version ??

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cry.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/comeon.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/noidea.gif

I don't want to embarass myself by thinking about it!!

Your point about road bikes being close to their race counterparts is what actually scares me off the idea. That and the lame, daydreaming drivers who crowd our roads. If i got a bike, it would primarily be for the track.

That's perfectly feasible.
You can buy bikes that are 'track only' quite easily.
They aren't necessarily race tuned bikes either.
More and more people are buying roadbikes that have perhaps been crashed,chucking on track only bodywork and having fun.
Saves the worry of dumping your expensive roadbike.

Under £2K would get you a track only bike no problem.

There's really no need to be scared of the fact that bikes are so quick.
Although the likes of a 600 will do 0-60 in 3 seconds and 160+mph,it doesn't mean it has to !
You can ride about at a gentle pace all day,no problem at all.
It's a terrible cliche,but the throttle goes both ways.

[ QUOTE ]

Dude who you trying to kid we all know the throttle has 2 positions
J.

[/ QUOTE ]

In a diesel,yeah.. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/goofy.gif

[ QUOTE ]

No not my Tdi but my previous rides have ventured out onto the track in the past.

With regards to the brake solution it will be OEM I have a man working on it at the mo, which reminds me I need to chase him up!

J.

[/ QUOTE ]

Would this be Foxy on mkivs by any chance ?

Yep he was going to price it up for me a few weeks ago but hasn't got back to me plus I kinda forgot what with going on holiday and all...

Although I have another source of cheap genuine Vag-Parts that I am going to tap up next time I see him, need to get my s-line badge of him anyway so I may as well kill 2 birds with one stone so to speak!

J.

shresh this is your lucky day... I have a ZX9R dynoed at 141 bhp at the rear wheel, RG crash bungs, forks and shock by Maxton (TT settings), raised ride height, rearsets, lowered gearing. The bodywork is held together by gaffa tape, so "trackday damage cred" comes as a free extra. Yours for 2 grand (also have OEM exhaust and replacement bodywork in the shed). Approx performance figures, 0-60 less than 3 seconds, 0-100 less than 7 seconds, top speed approx 160mph (well over 170 with standard gearing). Please buy the ****** thing cos I need a new bike. Ta.

Jungle
You seen Chris Walker's BSB/WSB ZX7RR on ebay ?
But it now price of £15K.
What a track day weapon though !

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/groovy.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/froggie_red.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked2.gif

Jungle, I appreciate the offer, but there's a lot I need to do first. like get a bike license, and work out what i'm actually allowed to ride, given all the restrictions on age/experience.

back to using my a3 on the track - has anyone got the Brembo GT junior kit on theirs? And has it used hard for a prolonged period?

one more question (probably for RichA3turbo) - is there a more effective braking solution using ECS discs and say porsche or seat leon brembo calipers for the same price as the Brembo junior kit?
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/noidea.gif