Monster MotorsportEM Tuning
Results 1 to 12 of 12
  1. #1
    Neutral

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    86

    Help needed with my Key. Won't start the car just says SAFE?

    Hi Guys

    I bought a new key fob off ebay and just took all the electronic bits, key and transponder out the old key and put it in the new case. It will unlock the door with the remote but when I try start the car it just come up saying "safe"

    Anyone got any idea's?

    Thanks

    Richard

  2. # ADS
    ADS
    Join Date
    Always
    Posts
    Many
     
  3. #2
    1st Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    northants
    Posts
    165
    immobilizer issue
    did you damage the chip?

  4. #3
    Neutral

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    86
    Dont think so!

  5. #4
    S3 Dave's Avatar
    Now running on Heavy Oil

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Middle England
    Posts
    432
    Quote Originally Posted by Hendo View Post
    Dont think so!
    Hold your old key by dash/ignition if it works you need to take the key apart find the chip and put it in the new one!
    "Never in the field of human conflict was so much owed by so many to so few"

    Churchill August 20th 1940

  6. #5
    Fossie

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Rhubarb Triangle
    Posts
    3,969
    Are you sure you transferred the immobiliser chip across? It's a capsule shaped glass object that is held in the plastic and nothing to do with the circuit board.

    The one in the new key fob will not work with your car.

  7. #6
    Neutral

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    86
    Quote Originally Posted by S3 Dave View Post
    Hold your old key by dash/ignition if it works you need to take the key apart find the chip and put it in the new one!
    Din't work!!

  8. #7
    Neutral

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    86
    Quote Originally Posted by mike foster View Post
    Are you sure you transferred the immobiliser chip across? It's a capsule shaped glass object that is held in the plastic and nothing to do with the circuit board.

    The one in the new key fob will not work with your car.
    Yeah I transfered the chip across?

  9. #8
    Fossie

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Rhubarb Triangle
    Posts
    3,969
    Not good ! You couldn't have got the chips mixed up could you ? Clutching at straws I know but if the chip has been damaged it's a trip to Audi (somehow!) and a new key coded.

  10. #9
    Neutral

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    86
    Got it sussed I stripped the key down and found it already had a immobiliser chip hidden inside. I removed that chip and replaced it with my original on and worked no problem.
    So turns out that it will not work with 2 immobiliser chips inside the key housing lol.


  11. #10
    Fossie

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Rhubarb Triangle
    Posts
    3,969
    Quote Originally Posted by Hendo View Post
    Got it sussed I stripped the key down and found it already had a immobiliser chip hidden inside. I removed that chip and replaced it with my original on and worked no problem.
    So turns out that it will not work with 2 immobiliser chips inside the key housing lol.

    Obviously not ! That's why I said transfer the old chip to the new fob (see post #5). There is only room for one chip in the fob so how and why you put two chips in is a bit of a mystery I have to say !!

  12. #11
    Neutral

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    86
    Quote Originally Posted by mike foster View Post
    Obviously not ! That's why I said transfer the old chip to the new fob (see post #5). There is only room for one chip in the fob so how and why you put two chips in is a bit of a mystery I have to say !!
    Well I was presented with a plastic area where the old chip was hidden underneath. I couldn't get it out originally so I assumed it wasn't meant to be move to I just secured in place my old chip and hoped for the best!

    I should have maybe asked for advice first rather than just go at it. Oh well live and learn.

  13. #12
    jsosic's Avatar
    1st Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Zagreb, Croatia, Croatia
    Posts
    172
    Quote Originally Posted by Hendo View Post
    Well I was presented with a plastic area where the old chip was hidden underneath. I couldn't get it out originally so I assumed it wasn't meant to be move to I just secured in place my old chip and hoped for the best!

    I should have maybe asked for advice first rather than just go at it. Oh well live and learn.

    Thank you for this thread :D I also bought fob off ebay and moved everything except immobilizer chip! :D And boy was I scared when engine shut down, and yellow heater sign started to flash with SAFE :-/

    Google saved me

 

 

Similar Threads

  1. Help needed: Changed spark plugs now car won't start
    By MG in forum A3/S3/Sportback (8P Chassis)
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 11th October 2011, 13:11
  2. Car won't unlock using unlock button on key / key won't start car!!
    By evapor8 in forum A3/S3/Sportback (8P Chassis)
    Replies: 39
    Last Post: 7th November 2010, 09:42
  3. Help needed Urgently - car won't start
    By Brooksy in forum A3/S3 Forum (8L Chassis)
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 22nd September 2010, 18:06
  4. Replies: 13
    Last Post: 14th February 2010, 16:48
  5. Can only start car with master key - immobiliser problem
    By voteforpedro in forum General Technical / How To
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 13th August 2008, 17:16

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO

Garage Plus, Vendor Tools vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO