DSG - DIS Gear selector display

[ QUOTE ]
I have the Gear selected displayed as shown in picture on my UK 3 door 3.2V6 with DSG '05 plate.

[/ QUOTE ]

ianH, Do you have the leather gaitor type gear shift or the old chrome open gate type.

It has the leather surround with the dimpled leather top and chrome finger grip, hope that makes sense other wise i can nip outside and take a few photos for you...

Ian.

[ QUOTE ]
It has the leather surround with the dimpled leather top and chrome finger grip, hope that makes sense other wise i can nip outside and take a few photos for you...

Ian.

[/ QUOTE ]

No photo's required, but cheers for the offer /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

It seems like the display got revised along with the new style gear lever on the DSG.

[ QUOTE ]
It most certainly did!

[/ QUOTE ]

MB, Does it come in useful, or is it just me wanting something I haven't got ! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/noidea.gif

Well if you mean is it something that distracts you whilst perving at young girls then yes! I'd rather say I was looking to see what gear I was in when I rear end someone then adminting to perving at some bit of totty in a short skirt! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Seriously though I'm not sure it's all that useful, when I test drove the A3 it didn't have it and I didn't notice it missing. Who wants to know they are in 6th doing 40mph when driving in D anyway. I think it's a case of wanting something you haven't got!

J.

[ QUOTE ]

It seems like the display got revised along with the new style gear lever on the DSG.

[/ QUOTE ]

It did, but all that changed (on the 3dr at least) is you get the number of the gear you are in to the right of the P R N D S. I haven't seen that symbol on mine...

Yeah,my sportback tells you what gear you're in,even in D mode.
As others have said,it's of negligible value other than for you to marvel at the fact the car can be in 6th before 40 mph....

In fact,thinking about it...

I'm not sure the DSG,in manual mode,will let you change into 6th at low speed,so how come D mode does.... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/noidea.gif

Never mind eh ?

[ QUOTE ]
you to marvel at the fact the car can be in 6th before 40 mph....

[/ QUOTE ]

Mine can't. I think it's about 43ish mph before 6th cuts in. Same for both D and DSG.

You could be right Eeef.
I don't pay much attention to the DSG any more.
I try to ignore it,like a ginger haired stepchild.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh_roll.gif

Mine pops into sixth at 34-5mph when driven lightly. Taller gearing of petrol version I assume.

Still soooooper smooth though.

[ QUOTE ]
Mine pops into sixth at 34-5mph when driven lightly. Taller gearing of petrol version I assume.

[/ QUOTE ]

If your car goes into sixth at a lower speed than the diesel,that means the petrol has shorter gearing,surely ?

I would always assume diesels have taller gearing than petrol because they don't rev so high.

If they had the same gearing as a petrol they would need more actual gears or they would top out at something daft like 90mph in sixth,coz they only go to 4500 rpm.

i assume the gearing is changed depending on the way its driven..

if you have it in sports.. it revs to a high limit where drive revs to about 2500, as though ECU decideds whats the best performance vs fuel use.. as there is no need for you to be in 2nd all the time if your lightly driving round town?

[ QUOTE ]
i assume the gearing is changed depending on the way its driven..

if you have it in sports.. it revs to a high limit where drive revs to about 2500, as though ECU decideds whats the best performance vs fuel use.. as there is no need for you to be in 2nd all the time if your lightly driving round town?

[/ QUOTE ]

Final drive gearing cannot be changed.Gearing is determined by the cogs in the box and the differential.
Unless you can change either of those,you're stuck with the gearing the factory gives you.
On a bike,you change the gearing by changing the size of the sprockets.
Whole different ball game in a car.

I would venture the diesel and petrol have completely different final drive gearings.
Take sixth gear,at 90mph,for example.
The diesel will be turning over at something like 2500rpm.
The petrol will be doing something like 4000rpm at the same speed.

So the petrol's gearing is shorter.

Guys...the gear selector display thing can probably be added using VAG.COM....sounds like software to me...

[ QUOTE ]
Guys...the gear selector display thing can probably be added using VAG.COM....sounds like software to me...

[/ QUOTE ]

er...no. The whole top of the gearbox changed when they put the new shifter in. As did the electronics.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

No the display cannot display what is not there !

It will be a new display plus software at least.

[ QUOTE ]
If your car goes into sixth at a lower speed than the diesel,that means the petrol has shorter gearing,surely ?

[/ QUOTE ]

Bowfer,

You are correct, of course i meant shorter gearing on the petrol box. I always get muddled with short/tall hi/low ratios.