Bose vs bang & olufson

mojo555

Reaction score
Got the bang & olufson at the mo in the a4 but the s3 will have bose anyone got any experiences of both and how they compare

I thought BOSE was very good. A mate had B&O in his A5 and on paper its probably better but I didnt really pick up on it when moving from the A5 to S3..

I have BOSE in my S3, it's OK, sounds good at higher volumes but I have never had any decent ICE in my cars for years.

Never like or rated BOSE for home use, I suspect B+O is better..

I'm disapointed with my Bose after having the medium spec stereo in my previous V50 R-Design Volvo.
I find it to harsh on the tweeters but the bass & mid sound fine.

Would be interested in that upgrade... i have to turn my treble down to -1 or 2 cause it's so bad on the highs.

What kind of options are there for upgrading the Audi Bose a3 system.

Ive seen a sub install, but I'd rather do the cabin speakers, but I'm conscious they're probably tuned according to the Bose amp (frequency wise) so its unlikely I can open the door skins and whack some Focal drivers in.

Hi Mojo,

Yep, had the B & O in my old S4 and now have the BOSE in the S3, and to be honest, one of the main things I miss from the S4 is that stereo.

The B & O was superb in the A4/S4, giving a really rich, full sound across a wide spectrum of music.....by far the best stereo I have ever had in a car.

The BOSE suffers in comparison in my view....it is a good enough system, but it really doesn't have that depth of sound you got with the B & O, sounding really quite 'tinny' at times......and don't get me started on the automatic volume control which seems to have a mind of its own and drives me insane !!

That being said, I guess you can't really expect it to be as good, considering it has fewer speakers, is an older system with a more generic rather than a specific design for the car it is fitted to, and the my S4 was the saloon which I have always found provides a richer sound than hatchback's.

Like the others have said, there are several of us who would like to try upgrades to the BOSE, as I think it is a bit of a weak point in the 'feel' of the car.

Hope that helps.

It must be what you get use to as I have Bose in mine and think it's brilliant, and I had a A4 Black Ed last year as a loaner with B&O and didn't go much on it but I guess it depends what you listen too...

Last edited:
Thanks guys, i will just have to wait and see, must say though that i can't see it being bett or as good as the Bang & Olufson, maybe i will have to look at upgrading the speakers.

B&O all day long....Bose although very good, is not in the same league.

My dad used to have Bose in his old T Reg A8 back in the day, that sound system was awesome! My A3 Bose is rubbish compared to that, however the worst Bose system has got to be the one in the Q7 it sounds nasty until you get used to it.