burning a lot of oil

jessie123

Reaction score
hi everyone just a quick question do a3 170 quattros normally use a lot of oil any answers welcome

My brother in law has one and he has never mentioned filling it up often.

ive had it since sep 2011 done 6k upto now injector recall done 2 weeks ago dpf delete plus remap 2 months ago

More info needed. How many miles to litres of oil etc. Mileage on car? Puffing smoke on acceleration / deceleration? Startup.
Do you notice blue smoke at all especially on initial startup.

about 3 litres in 6k 76.000k i havant noticed any blue smoke on startup only smokes when it is driven hard through gear change witch is hardly nothing only thing ive noticed is a slight flatspot on hard acceloration for a second then goes

Check all the usual, around the engine bay for oil looking stains. Whip the undertray off and check with a good torch. Does the turbo whine at all?

I've got a 140 and i dont think i've ever topped the oil up! Done a fair few thousand miles since i've had it.

I usually top up 1.5 litres in about 10k miles. I've never really thought or worried about it just check it once a month and top up as necessary.

theres no whine from the turbo just the usual whistle. the car has just come back from audi for injector recall they done a health check so they should have spotted any oil leak surley getting paranoid now

I wouldn't worry too much, my dad's Q7 used to drink oil for a laugh until he found out the oil plug was slightly loose. Might be worth parking the car up somewhere overnight and inspecting where you parked it.

they never mentioned a thing about it i thought they would have . good service from cardiff audi

I had a 170 Quattro, which I had mapped from new and I didn't have to top up so much as a litre in the 3 and a half years I've owned it. I think it's luck of the draw mate. Some burn a hell of a lot more than others.

If its not smoking, you don't have warning lights constantly, not marking its territory everywhere you park it then I wouldn't worry about it. Just have to accept its going to cost you £10 more between services on topping oil up. Id still be suspicious of the turbo. They can let oil through ever so slightly.

i just like to say thanx to everyone for the replies .and for the previous issues with my 170 all help many many thanx to all of you
i love this site ps booking car into audi cardif maybe next week

i just like to say thanx to everyone for the replies .and for the previous issues with my 170 all help many many thanx to all of you
i love this site ps booking car into audi cardif maybe next week

hello mate, just noticed you have the same car as me the 170 quattro PD engine im guessing? (netoriously riddled with problems) but a very nice car to drive. i have also had a DPF delete and a map shes now pushing out 196.2 hp how are you liking yours? have you ever had a hesitation in power when you boot the car in 2nd 3rd and 4th? like a quick up down up down in power then she goes like train after that?

i am very happy to share any info with you guys and do admire the passion and amount of care that the people on these forums have for there audis :)