Tracking Info

Davemarsden132

Reaction score
Hi there,

My next door neighbour has had his car stolen they broke into his house took his keys and took his car. The police as usual ''if you dont have a tracker there is very little chance unless the car is going to be used for robbery that we will be able to return your vehicle''

Now im looking into getting a tracker for my car and my mums (I drive an A3 she drives an A5), im an electrician by trade so i can get my head around basic car electrics.

Does anyone know if its possible, to buy a GPS tracker myself and fit it in my car so i can track my car aswell no matter were i am via my PC. Is this possible as ive seen companys out there that can fit a tracker and you can pay them to track it for you basically.. Money Money Money

Im not rich so cant really afford to do this so need my cheap alternative, Fit tracker myself and track car myself if it gets stolen.

Kind Regards
Dave

There is loads of DIY tracker info on the net, just google DIY car tracker.

Theres one that involves hiding a cheap mobile in the car! Sounds daft but people swear by it (not me) lol.

Thanks, good search idea yeh ive been searching trackers etc on google and could only find the ones you pay for monthly etc

Cheers

We have quite an extensive background in tracking and fleet management. Quite a few of the big brands out there have had trackers fitted by us.

Nowadays, most insurance companies will not insure higher end vehicles unless a tracker is fitted. For the main dealers we only fit one type of tracker. This is the RAC trackstar.

There are too many features to list but if you check out their website you will get the idea. Main principle is that it's uk/European, one of the main tracking systems that the Police can pick up, lowers insurance, reports to the main centre every 20seconds with no battery drain,nindependent battery supply etc etc.

If you get the CAT5 system you will need a special unit that needs to be near the car to disarm the tracker. If they steal your car without this unit then it will in a sense "go off" and alert the centre and broadcast it's position.

Downside to this is cost... It's about £400 for the unit and installation. You then have a yearly subscription of about £120. If you're a business or loaded this isnt a problem.

If you are needing to do this on the cheap, there are systems where you can "rent" for about £20 a month why means its free to supply and install. We don't really do many of this but it allows for online tracking through Google maps etc. search PAY AS YOU GO tracker on Google.

Most units have to be installed by a recognised brand dealer. Firstly for it to be commissioned and "tracked". Secondly, your insurance company won't see it as a proper install and won't recognise it as being correct.

Hope that helps,

T

Well I have a tracker waited to be fitted to mine and it's going to take £300 off my insurance as its recognised. If your insurance recognises the tracker you have then you could save more money by paying to activate.