Chrome exterior door handle trim

Shadowman

Reaction score
I've seen some recent A3's and RS3's with a small chrome or brushed aluminium section on the upper part of the exterior door handles ( I think it comes as part of the exterior styling package on the RS3's ).

Anyone know if these are part of the complete handle or if they simply clip on, as I think they look quite good ?

Any part no's or prices for an 8P3 would be good.

Thanks

Last edited:
think it comes with door handle someone by mine has an 11 plate a3 sline (sportback) first time i have ever seen em, think it may be an option on the newer ones.

It was one of a few small styling updates that became standard for the 2010/11 model year (round about then) I've also been looking into doing this to mine as I think it looks quite good, apart from perhaps painting the small strips chrome I'm not sure what to do, short of replacing the whole handles. The older body coloured ones already have the indented line along the top that seperates the two sections so it would be easy enough to mask off.

Standard from MY11 on 3 door & sportback - think cabrios always had them.

I have a MY11 S3 but I don't have them?! Funny because I did think they came a standard?

That being true then I should have them with mine not being a black edition :(

...might need a trip to the dealer!

Thanks for the replies guys.

Just had a quick look at the RS3 brochure online, and the chrome/aluminium doesn't come with the 'Black' styling pack but does with the 'Aluminium' styling pack, so presumably BE S3 versions like mine dont have them.

I've just come back from Europe, and there were several low spec A3's there with them though.

I know what you mean about the crease on the handle David, and that's what got me thinking the same as you about either painting or a vinyl wrap just on these, but it really depends on what the Stealer will charge for genuine replacements.

I may call them today and see what I can find out.....i'll get back later.

Well, i called the dealers and guess what.....they have no idea what i'm talking about !!

Looks like i'll have to dig deeper myself.

you might even be able to find someone on here that would be willing to do a swap - i personally don't like the new strips and think they break up the 'flow' of the car. If i had these on mine i'd be happy to swap with someone for plain ones.

The trims are 100% oem, there are 2 types with the seperator line, 1 with chrome trim, other plain for painting, believe it or not, they're basically the same price give or take a pound from audi.

That being true then I should have them with mine not being a black edition :(

...might need a trip to the dealer!

Sounds like your car isn't a MY11 car but a MY10. If the pillar between the doors is matt black and not gloss black then you don't have a MY11 car....

Approx £36 & havnt got part numbers to hand atm.

December 2011 Sportback Sport 2.0TDi (140)

Top 10mm of the door handles is chrome - mate of mine has a March 2011 car (same spec) and his is the same.

If someone could give me part number and a price I'd. Be interested for my 8p2 s3. Nhn. If you can sort this for me please pm or text me. Thanks

I'm happy to order some in, but how many want them?

Is £36 the price per handle or for the pair ( 3 door ) or four ( SB ) NHN ?

Also, do they slip on or is it a total replacement of the handle, and finally, do they only do chrome or do they come in brushed aluminium as well ?

Thanks

Sounds like your car isn't a MY11 car but a MY10. If the pillar between the doors is matt black and not gloss black then you don't have a MY11 car....

The pillar between the doors is gloss black so I'm assuming it is a MY11? It was built in November of 2011.

The pillar between the doors is gloss black so I'm assuming it is a MY11? It was built in November of 2011.

Mines a Sept 2010 3 door SLine and has the chromey door handles, gloss black pillars, grill and fog surrounds, You can hardly tell they are chrome on Ibis White.

Yeah you should have them then...

They changed the door handles but with no chrome fitted for the facelift I think but fitted the chrome from MY11 onwards...

Yeah you should have them then...

They changed the door handles but with no chrome fitted for the facelift I think but fitted the chrome from MY11 onwards...

Thanks for clarification mate! :) I'll go see the dealer tomorrow...see what they have to say!

Thanks for clarification mate! :) I'll go see the dealer tomorrow...see what they have to say!

I would hold up before you do that, what spec is your car, sline, s3, sport, se?

Well they state there are standard versions & S versions, so I am also confused why they arent on your car, I wonder if its a requested part when ordering, I'd have to ask my guys if its a requested part.

Well they state there are standard versions & S versions, so I am also confused why they arent on your car, I wonder if its a requested part when ordering, I'd have to ask my guys if its a requested part.

Okay, thanks for that. I'll hold off taking a trip to the dealers until I have confirmation. I know it's fairly trivial in the grand scheme of things but I've shelled out a decent amount of money on this car so I want it to be right obviously.

I understand, but did it only bother you when someone mentioned chrome handles or did you already wonder before this thread why it didnt have these :)

I understand, but did it only bother you when someone mentioned chrome handles or did you already wonder before this thread why it didnt have these :)

Lol believe it or not I was expecting it to come with them on as a week before I got it I'd seen a black S-line (I think) with them and remember thinking they contrasted well with the black. So I was a little bit disappointed when it turned up without....but then I quickly forgot about said problem upon turning the ignition to 'on' haha.

Ok.....my turn to take one for the team !!

I have arranged for my door handles to be vinyl wrapped in brushed aluminium design ( same as the mirrors on my S3 ) on Tuesday 28th, as it is half the price of the OE replacement handles (£75 for the wrap and £36 each for the OE handles plus painting ) and no more painting will be required.

They are going to seal the handles as well as they are an area of high use ( and the end product is guaranteed for 1 year and the vinyl should last for at least 5 ), so I will let you know how it goes, provide pictures of the results and let you know how well it lasts.

Watch this space !

Lol believe it or not I was expecting it to come with them on as a week before I got it I'd seen a black S-line (I think) with them and remember thinking they contrasted well with the black. So I was a little bit disappointed when it turned up without....but then I quickly forgot about said problem upon turning the ignition to 'on' haha.

Is your S3 a Black Edition? Don't think Black Editions come with the chrome bits on the handles...

Is your S3 a Black Edition? Don't think Black Editions come with the chrome bits on the handles...

Nope...it's not a black edition...just standard - hence the thought that they should be on there :think:

Ok, got the handles vinyl wrapped today, and whilst it looks ok from a distance, close up it doesn't look lerfect and I am a bit of a perfectionist so will order the originals and do it properly i think.

Nigel ( NHN ) could you find out the part numbers please and the cost....happy to eother order from you or from the dealers.

Mine is a 2011 S3 Sportback, and i will need all 4 handles.

thanks

Do you have any pics of how they are with the viny?

Not currently, but I'll get some tomorrow and get them posted for you.

As promised, now got some pics of the handles after they were vinyl wrapped....( sorry for the delay, but my photobucket account was playing up )!

15348132.jpg

2bb785c7.jpg

d620cc2d.jpg

b3f372e6.jpg

I am going to give it a month or so to see if i continue to like it as m uch as I do now, and then will probably do it properly by either buying the handles with ther chrome tops and spraying the bottoms, or by chrome painting the tops of the existing handles.

Can't wait to get the summer wheels/tyres back on.....these pics with the winter's on make the stance look really weedy :))

That is not bad,you can tell you vinyl wraped them they look good mate :thumbsup:

anymore side on pics?

Here's a quick couple I popped outside to take.......only with an i-phone so forgive the quality ( and the current state of the car.........badly needs a clean! ).

a338d79d.jpg

ea1c548e.jpg