Chrome exterior door handle trim

They do look ok at anything over a couple of feet away, but if you saw them close up, it is pretty obvious they are wrapped, and I am a bit OCD about these things so will look for a better permanent solution I think.

Did the job though and it showed me what the effect would look like which is what I was after.

Having just taken delivery of my new 2012 A3 Sportback I was quite surprised to note that it now has the chrome door handles rather than the painted ones on my previous 2009 model. It's just one of the 16 (so far) things that I've noticed that are different between the two models.

I think they are now standard on the Sport models upward, although not sure about the S3 model's

Regarding the Vinyl wrapping of mine, it was the 3M stuff which you can indeed get on the bay of eeee's.

Would be much easier to either wrap or spray if the exterior handle could be taken off without having to remove the whole handle as a unit, but I need someone to confirm to me if that is possible, and if so how to remove it as i have tried looking for metal clips etc as suggested but can't see anything !!

Still, if it was easy there wouldn't be any sense of satsfaction would there..!!

when i took my handles of i i had to remove the windows reg and them then with a long screwdriver pushed the bracket (cant rember wich way) then the inside case cums of and the handle pops out.

I think they are now standard on the Sport models upward, although not sure about the S3 model's

Regarding the Vinyl wrapping of mine, it was the 3M stuff which you can indeed get on the bay of eeee's.

Would be much easier to either wrap or spray if the exterior handle could be taken off without having to remove the whole handle as a unit, but I need someone to confirm to me if that is possible, and if so how to remove it as i have tried looking for metal clips etc as suggested but can't see anything !!

Still, if it was easy there wouldn't be any sense of satsfaction would there..!!

Mine is an SE and they are standard on that.

Having just taken delivery of my new 2012 A3 Sportback I was quite surprised to note that it now has the chrome door handles rather than the painted ones on my previous 2009 model. It's just one of the 16 (so far) things that I've noticed that are different between the two models.

What other differences have you noticed on your new A3 compared with the 09 version? When are we going to see a photo of the new car? :)

They do look ok at anything over a couple of feet away, but if you saw them close up, it is pretty obvious they are wrapped, and I am a bit OCD about these things so will look for a better permanent solution I think.

Did the job though and it showed me what the effect would look like which is what I was after.

Hi Shadowman,

I have on order a new black s line SB due May which will be delivered with the chrome trim but will want to change these for black painted asap. Is this something my dealer could sort out upon delivery of the car or is it easier enough to buy plain ones get them painted an fit myself? Is the £36 for the whole handle or just the strip? What are my options?

I'm sure if you ask them to make sure they're not chrome they will do it cnsidering the low cost of the art & the high cost of the car.

You can buy the plain ones & yes have painted, the £36 if its current, is just for the front plate, nothing else.

I'm sure if you ask them to make sure they're not chrome they will do it cnsidering the low cost of the art & the high cost of the car.

You can buy the plain ones & yes have painted, the £36 if its current, is just for the front plate, nothing else.

Good point.
I will inquire with the dealer and let you know what they say.

What colour is your new one ?.... If its Phantom Black and they won't change them for you, then maybe we can do a swap ?

Mine are only 6mths old and unmarked, so let me know how you get on and if you would be interested ?

Don't forget to post pics when the new one arrives as well..:)) nothing like that new car look and smell !!

What colour is your new one ?.... If its Phantom Black and they won't change them for you, then maybe we can do a swap ?

Mine are only 6mths old and unmarked, so let me know how you get on and if you would be interested ?

Don't forget to post pics when the new one arrives as well..:)) nothing like that new car look and smell !!

I was going to ask you if you wanted to swap - but then could see your car was phantom from the pics.

Unfortunately mine will be brill black. Originally specced phantom but went over budget.

No problem......you never know, you may grow to like them ?
Enjoy the whole new car pick up process :))

No problem......you never know, you may grow to like them ?
Enjoy the whole new car pick up process :))

There's a black s line I see every couple days or so with them and I think they just don't really go with anything on the sides of the car.
From the side view there's 2 chrome strips then then s-line badge on the wing which is a matt alu finish. The door strips overtake the badge if you see what I mean.
I can see how yours ties in with the S3 mirrors though looks good.

Yes....they definately seem to be a bit of a love/hate thing, and definately suit some models more than others.

Does anyone know the part numbers and costs of these door handles?

Might look into getting some for my Sportback...

No part numbers, but they cost £36 each for the faceplates which will then need painting.

here RS3 door handles not chrome they are matt silver;
IMG_0910.jpg

iv got mine painted in matt silver;

IMG-20120409-00150.jpg

The covers are not very hard to remove, lift the handle up look behind the handle and on the right side their is a clip, push the clip back and push the handle to your right and it should slide off. While doing this use some masking tape on your door so you want cause any damage to your paint and hold your handle up while doing this. (only applys to a3 that are 58 plate and newer)

Hi amar06fbr, when you say 'covers' do you mean the whole handle cover including the top strip or just the top strip?
Had a quick look at mine and looks like the chrome strip is a seperate part.

That looks like a much better solution than the vinyl wrap I had done.....Mmmmm.

The handles themselves are one piece S Liner.....they look like they could be seperate top and bottom sections because of the design of the handle, but they are in fact just one part.

Audi quoted me (estimate) around £600-800 to change to black!

4 x plain handles £40 each, 1 hours labour per handle plus painting. There body shop told me the inside trim of each door would have to be removed in order for the handles to come off?

I just left it at that tbh I just wanted my car delivered - as soon as I took delivery the handles didn't bother me that much but its one of those small things that I want doing eventually.

So if I can remove the handles myself I probably wont mind paying for just new handles and painted.

The other option would be to remove the existing handles and paint over the chrome but can you do this?

Can anyone actually take pics of the clip.......i've had a quick look myself and there seem to be two pieces which look like 'lolly' sticks at both ends of the inside of the handle.....are they the clips and do you push them towards the door ( eg: in towards the car ) or sideways ?

Thanks.

Shadowman is correct, shadowman i will get some pic up on here on how to remove them, they are easy to do.. keep an eye on this thread.

Pull handle up, with a thin straightened metal coat hanger or thin screwdriver, from the iirc left, side push in at the top behind the plate & slide the locating bar along & it will then release the plate from the top & can be dropped out from the bottom from its 2 locating lugs.

Pull handle up, with a thin straightened metal coat hanger or thin screwdriver, from the iirc left, side push in at the top behind the plate & slide the locating bar along & it will then release the plate from the top & can be dropped out from the bottom from its 2 locating lugs.

wich door handles?

Shadowman is correct, shadowman i will get some pic up on here on how to remove them, they are easy to do.. keep an eye on this thread.

id you get that pic taken by any chance? I've been looking to stop this rattling and I can't see this clip from any of the descriptions I found on this and other forums.

I can see 2 locating type lugs under the handle but nothing else.

might just be me but i think these tack the car up to **** im happy with my 09 unibody ones

here are some quick pics on how to remove your handle covers, the clip is on the right of the handle an silde to the right on all driver and passenger side.

IMG-20120503-00075.jpg

IMG-20120503-00076.jpg

IMG-20120503-00077.jpg

IMG-20120503-00079.jpg

IMG-20120503-00080.jpg

I used the screwdriver handle to keep the handle lifted as i found it difficult to remove the handle and take pics at the same time.