Has the S3 8P had it's day??

warren_S5

VCDS Map User
Reaction score
Every day I open my computer my iGoogle homepage is set up to provide updates on car / motorsport news from various sources.

More recently I've been noting a lot of the hot hatchbacks are slowly creeping up on the heels of the S3 8P, and quite a few surpassing it, particularly with respect to power and spec trinkets (Brembos and buckets).

The humble Mazda 3 MPS has had 260PS as long as I can remember, and then the Focus RS raised the stakes with over 300bhp.

Mazda-3-MPS-2012-1-590x442.jpg

35529_220879.jpg

The recently revised Megane RS now has 250bhp

5.jpg

and the 2012 Focus ST is getting 246 horses

2012-Ford-Focus-ST-%E2%80%93-Rear-Side-View-670x502.jpg

Today I got an update saying the Astra GTC VXR with special diff is getting 280bhp

new_astra_vxr_front.jpg

and the new Merc A class (A25 AMG) will get a 2.0T with more power than an RS3 (Over 330bhp)

car_photo_459067_25.jpg

Many of the VW stable mates (Leon R / Rocco / Golf) all have the 260bhp lump, as will the A1 Quattro Special Edition, and the TT-S has 272PS version.

audi-a1-quattro-concept-2.jpg

Now I know the S3 8P has some charms which the others can't match (subtlety, desirability and sheer grip in bad weather), but is the old girl at risk of being swamped by the fresh faced newbies?

Good job a facelift is on the cards and I think an extra cylinder will be required to keep the S at the forefront of the crowd.

Any thoughts....

Reactions: pinterovski
It's starting to look its age inside nowadays, particularly the nav/entertainment options are lacking.

It's a pretty foolish buy as they'll plummet like rocks when the new A3 is out.

I know what you mean, but I still think the S3 has enough to be desirable in the company of this new breed.

I think of it as the 'Thinking Man's' hot hatch.....the others all have their plus points, but to me none of them blends all of them in the same way as the S3, and then adds superior build quality and longevity into the mix.

I agree it needs a facelift, and a saloon version would definately have some appeal, as I have always had saloons before but I don't think it will get a 5 cylinder engine.

They will keep the turbo four and just keep turning the wick up, with improved ceramic variable vane turbo's ( yep, maybe two ) and better ignition of the fuel ( a vast amount of the power currently contained in petrol is wasted in the combustion process ).

That's my 2p worth !!

It's a pretty foolish buy as they'll plummet like rocks when the new A3 is out.

To be fair hardly any of the above cars are bought as an appreciating asset; but could be worse, could be an Alfa.

There are so many fools buying these things the waiting list is 6 months despite the new version coming out in 2012. That is a lot of fools :laugh:

Reactions: A3_Black_Edition
I don't think any of the above have the class of the A3, I do like the megane though. I think I have a soft spot the Renault Sport after the mrs having a 172. Having not long ago ordered a new A3 I was so sure I wanted the old shape as I really don't like the look of most of the pics I have seen of the new one.

Sure some things need updating on it like the nav etc already mentioned but I still think it's able to fight off the competition. Audi can't keep up with demand so they are doing something right.

Cheers,
Si

The more 8P2 S3s I see, the older they look.
Audi will seriously need to up the reliability on the next A3/S3 platform too.
The TT RS is probably the only current model I would want.
Just about manly enough for both the Mrs & I to drive.
Give it another year though so I can afford one.

15b64ec1.jpg

New tt.....
5b5fd518.jpg

Reactions: Boydie, pinterovski and A3_Black_Edition
Is the 8P really getting a facelift?

Im looking at 2 PCP year deal on an S3 SB Black Ed and the GFV is not that bad at £19,500 after 2 yrs. Fnance rates are not to shabby neither compared to A4s/S4, 3 series Coupes etc..

Yes, I would love a new platform S3 but it doesnt exist, and probably wont for 2 yrs or so, so its an 8P or look elsewhere.

I have been told the car is 12 weeks delivery (Build Week 15 assuming order this week + 4 delivery to dealer).
Cant be 6 months surely?

Cheers
Paul

15b64ec1.jpg

New tt.....
5b5fd518.jpg

Isn't this the new Audi Quattro concept? Don't think you'll see this on the thin side of £60k.
Also isn't the new A3 going on a totally updated platform rather than a facelift? It does look old these days.

I have a build week of 21 and I ordered before xmas...... I have not ordered a S3 but a loaded Black edition. My dealer kept making sure I didn't want the new shape but I said how could I when it's not even out yet. They really are the last to find things out most of the time.

Cheers,
Si

I have a build week of 21 and I ordered before xmas...... I have not ordered a S3 but a loaded Black edition. My dealer kept making sure I didn't want the new shape but I said how could I when it's not even out yet. They really are the last to find things out most of the time.

Cheers,
Si

21+ Weeks.
That is mental.

I would need cast iron-money back re-assurance that it was 12 week, (give or take a week), or I would not be signing up. There could be some new tasty stuff announced in that time, such as 6cyl MSport 1 and 3 Series and whatever else.....

cheers
Paul

Is there not a fair chance the 2012 A3 will be in the showrooms by week 21?

Well ill stick with my S3 any day over any of the above, it does everything without much drama, it doesnt shout about what it can do like some.Comming from a leon cupra r the quattro system in S3 is well worth having. Wife drives mini cooper s which handles really well, would out do S3 in the handling department but took it out other day for a bit of fun and just putting foot down hard made me realise just how good and quick the S3 really is.

There are an awful lot of 8P's around and I think the appeal of the S3 has been slightly diluted by the amount of A3 Black editions out there but for me it still offers far more than any of the others metioned, all being front wheel drive they would have difficulty living with an S3 on a daily basis plus the interior for me has aged well, although very familiar still a lovely place to be.

Out of the above list the only tempter for me would be the Renault but then all of them would have to be second hand and seriously cheap.

PaulAR is correct when he states PCP residuals are looking good and discounts are easily attained so a case of life in the old dog yet ?!?

A couple or 3 years down the line I'd take another look at a TTRS on the assumption that

1. The kids can load themselves into the minute seats by then.
2. Without Nursery fees I may be able to afford one.

Until that time, my SB complete with Nav and buckets is a cracking compromise :)

Reactions: RicoS3
There are an awful lot of 8P's around and I think the appeal of the S3 has been slightly diluted by the amount of A3 Black editions out there but for me it still offers far more than any of the others metioned, all being front wheel drive they would have difficulty living with an S3 on a daily basis plus the interior for me has aged well, although very familiar still a lovely place to be.

Out of the above list the only tempter for me would be the Renault but then all of them would have to be second hand and seriously cheap.

PaulAR is correct when he states PCP residuals are looking good and discounts are easily attained so a case of life in the old dog yet ?!?

A couple or 3 years down the line I'd take another look at a TTRS on the assumption that

1. The kids can load themselves into the minute seats by then.
2. Without Nursery fees I may be able to afford one.

Until that time, my SB complete with Nav and buckets is a cracking compromise :)

Agree with this, the RenaultSport Meg is a lovely thing but the lure of 4wd and the whole premium-ness (is that a word?) will always be too much, especially when you have been fortunate to have owned one before.

And because I only ever plan to to lease hire/PCP cars in the future that will always affect future choices of car, good residuals = lower payments (as does %interest and discounts of course otherwise an RS3 would be top of the list)
Think its shoite that AUDI want to stick anthracite Rotors on everything too:no:

cheers
Paul

It's rested on its laurels a too long. The 8P chassis has had a long inning & is now dated, surpassed by plenty of other manufacturers it also wasnt the upgrade that the 8L was over the A3 ie flared wings/track etc. The new S3 needs to loose a bit of weight as well as upping the power. Its also highly out specced by mot French cars LOL. Still like the interior though :)

The 250 is the only other car id go for but again I have a soft spots for Renault sports coming from a 182 , and having had my 07 plate 8p S3 for about a month now I think I made the right move , had a few teething problems but loving it now

I'd love to drive the RS, but there is no way in hell I'd buy any of the above over the S3. Stage into consider after TBE, HPFP, Intake + map and we are on the sunnier side of 360bhp, combined with Buckets etc, its a lovely place to be! Really is.

Reactions: Paullie
Don't wanna remap due to using the car every day and don't fancy replacing the clutch every year , don't have buckets but still would not wanna be sat any where else

what lump is in your A3 N8? have seen your car around town but unsure whats under the bonnet

[h=1]Has the S3 8P had it's day??[/h] HELL NO!!!
It's 7 years now and the S3 8P is still the most desirable Men's Toy Hatchback ever!!!
It was born like a Beast and it still is a Beast,giving it the proper remap and it's flying!

You can drive Astra OPC,Mazda MPS,Megane RS,Ford RS,...... but you will never be happy,thats it!
OK maybe you can be happy but when you'll see S3 next to your car, your mind is gonna **** you lol :D
Audi is Audi and that's a proper toy! I love mine all day long :sex:

Reactions: Paullie, RedDejavu and Kelza
Is the 8P really getting a facelift?

Im looking at 2 PCP year deal on an S3 SB Black Ed and the GFV is not that bad at £19,500 after 2 yrs. Fnance rates are not to shabby neither compared to A4s/S4, 3 series Coupes etc..

Yes, I would love a new platform S3 but it doesnt exist, and probably wont for 2 yrs or so, so its an 8P or look elsewhere.

I have been told the car is 12 weeks delivery (Build Week 15 assuming order this week + 4 delivery to dealer).
Cant be 6 months surely?

Cheers
Paul

OML, are you missing us already then Mankininininininini

It is a long time and has been put back once already. Just hoping it is worth the wait! Thing is with anything new coming out it would be brand new and not many reviews etc so that's why I stuck with what I liked the look of and how it drove on test drive...

Cheers,
Si

OML, are you missing us already then Mankininininininini

Maybe I am Nige....:eyebrows: (the `Kini is washed, ready and waiting for a-c-t-i-o-n)

Actually, the PCP deals on E92 335d/i coupes are silly money (double that of an S3 BE) and the new platform 3er is not available in 6cyl M Sport flavour for a while yet, so as much I have grown to be a fan of the 3 series, the S3 makes better financial sense AND is still a superb car IMO.
SB this time around thought fella. Got used to those extra doors...
Nothing signed or sealed yet but searching hard...

Paul

Interior is still nicer than all of the cabins above, end of.

Because of this ^ I'm still driving the S3. When I agreed to a new S3 to replace my ill-fated Ibis I had reservations, but my hands were tied and I needed the car replaced. I should've taken a Sportback as they look better, an opinion I have come to over the last 6 months.

I also think there are better looking cars; the Megane is actually a tidy looking motor and I like the exterior looks of the Golf R over the S3.

I spend all my time inside the car (apart from when I'm washing it) and in all honesty, it's still a quality place to be. I have however, have been looking at the same style dash for over 6 years now, so I'm glad it's due a facelift, both inside and out.

Engine wise, I've said it before on here and on other forums, the S3 needs a power hike and some more theatre. A detuned 2.5l good for ~300 bhp in the S, 360+ bhp in the RS and it'll be good for another 5/6+ years. It'll sound the part too. Audi's sleeper image for the S models is good up to a point, but it's getting harder to distinguish them from S-Line models these days apart from the chrome mirrors. I'll not get started on the RS', but Audi need to sit down with a picture of the RS4 and apply the same thought processes they did on that beast to other RS cars.

Overall styling wise though, if they continue on the path as they have with the new A6 and A4, then I'll be happy. The new A6 in S-line form is fierce. I've yet to see the A4 in the flesh, but it seems it's a scaled down version of the A6 and to me that's a very good thing indeed.

The new A3 looking like a bigger A1? Meh. I'm not sure I'm going to like it. I'll reserve judgement until then. Likely it'll look the part in S (and RS) guise, some 19 or 20" BBS rims and a drop.

Christ, I'm bursting to change out the S3. What will I go for....