Water Leak in Footwell

lilya

Reaction score
Website
www.transmittersrus.com
I've just got back home from driving in a fairly heavy rain storm. When I got home I noticed that the footwell carpet was sopping wet in a hand print sized area close to the clutch pedal. The amount of water is way to much to have come from my shoes.

Also, the passenger side footwell carpet was wet (but not as much as the drivers side) and I didn't have a passenger.

Has anyone had this with their A3? I'm pretty disappointed as this is something I would have expected from my old 306 - not an audi!

My car is going to the stealers on Wednesday to have it's flaking alloy looked at (Clicky), so I'll be wanting them to get it sorted then.

The car has done 16k and hasn't sustained any damage as far as I am aware (was bought as an approved used ex-demonstrator).

It has had its windscreen replaced once since I have had it, although the re-seal on this appears to be fine.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cry.gif

I have this exact problem after I power wash my car, this maybe the problem es but where it's getting in I don't know.

I do clean under the car quickly maybe theres the reason.

Dave

Married blonde - nope, no sunroof.

Dave - I wondered if it was leaking in from underneath as well. The rain shower was really heavy and left the roads completely awash. So much so that spray was hitting the underneath of the car.

I'm not sure how often this happens. I usually have mats in the car, so I wouldn't have noticed if it had leaked before.

Thanks for your ideas though fellas. I'll update the thread with any news once I've taken it to the dealers.

Adam

Let me know, My General view is HeavY heavy Rain somehow getting in from underneath.....

It always happens when I power wash my car, Ive never really noticed from light rain.

My car has done similar mileage to yours aswell, keep me posted.

Dave /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ok.gif

I've had this problem on two previous cars (not Audis) and both were due to leaks from the air conditioning drain pipe. I don't know where this is on the A3 though...

Pretty Impressed! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Took my car to the dealers this morning for them to inspect my still slightly damp carpets! They want to keep it for two days so that they can find the leak and sort it out.

The only snag is they haven't got any courtesy cars available for a fortnight - so I'll have to wait until then. Oh well, lets hope it doesn't rain much in the interim!

DaveA3Turbo - I'll keep you posted on the cause of the leak.

TobyW - I hadn't thought about the Air con. The leak coincided with a big rain storm though. I'll let you know what they find.

Can this happen if you park on a slope overnight or power wash all parts of the car.

Dave

Dave, I'll take it to the local jet wash and experiment on it this weekend. The carpets have dried out now - so will be able to tell if it leaks. I'll jet wash the top first, and then if nothing leaks I'll try the underside.

Our driveway is flat so it's not often parked on a slope. Do you jet wash yours when it is parked on a slope?

I'll let us know the results of the jet wash test! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/book.gif

[ QUOTE ]

The only snag is they haven't got any courtesy cars available for a fortnight - so I'll have to wait until then. Oh well, lets hope it doesn't rain much in the interim!

[/ QUOTE ]

Thats their problem not yours. If they need to find a car from another dealer for you, or one of their reps needs to catch a bus for 2 days so be it, but you shouldn't stand for that.

Yes I do power wash on a slope, and most of the time parkon a slop. I will be experimenting also.

Dave

So - my car's been fixed today by the stealers. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/MexWave.gif

Leaking air con drain pipe was the cause - driving in the heavy rain storm must have been a coincidence.

Anyone found out where this air con drain pipe is?

Found bit of water on passanger floor mat...

How could I check that it isnt this AC drain pipe??