Bluetooth module location??

swatchuk

Reaction score
Hi. I have a 2007 model S3 and when I bought it, it had a kenwood sat nav head unit in it. I want to put an rnse unit in but I'm not sure if I have Bluetooth in the car already. It has a phone prep thing in the arm rest but not sure if that's just in all the arm rests.
I also have a iPod unit in the glove box but not sure if it will work??
Any help you guys can give me would be appreciated.
Mark

Its under the front passager seat :)

Thanks for the quick reply. Just had a quick look and couldn't see it. Gutted. I'll have a Propper look tomorrow in the light. Is it under the carpet??
Do you know what I need to look for for the iPod connection at all?

Thanks for the quick reply. Just had a quick look and couldn't see it. Gutted. I'll have a Propper look tomorrow in the light. Is it under the carpet??
Do you know what I need to look for for the iPod connection at all?

No not under the carpet, you should see the little antenna pokeing out of the module. iPod connection will be in the glovebox (AMI or standard iPod connection cable)

There's an iPod dock if you like in the glove box were the cd changer would be. Maybe I should just check behind it and make sure it will connect the other end behind the stereo.

the ipod dock will have a connector block that goes into the back of the RNSE... i think its block B on the back
once fitted it will need to be coded into the car so that the rnse knows to play songs from it.
again you could try and code the bluetooth if its in there from factory to see if that works, but as said before its under the passenger seat.

I take it you've got a multi-function steering wheel? If so, turn the ignition on and search for bluetooth devices from your phone - something should pop up saying Audi-UHVxxxxx or similar. If that works then you should be able to pair the car using pin 1234 or 1111.

If you have the cradle mount in the armrest, then you have the bluetooth prep, end of :)

I have phone prep in armrest of my car and have multi-function with ads and the shark fin on the roof but when I search for Bluetooth I cant find it, I have looked under my seat and can't see a module, would it be in a different place cos I have buckets or would it still be there. My old s line had phone prep ect and when I scanned for Bluetooth always picked it up strange.

I re-correct myself I have just tried again and seems I do have Bluetooth sweet lol

Haha, told you.

At no time have Audi ever allowed the cradle mount to be specced without the BT prep itself, so if you have the former, you have the latter (but not the other way around) :)

Cool - so both phone prep and your ipod will be fine and dandy with an RNS-E. iPod will just be of the 'pretend to be a CD-changer' variety so no track names or anything clever but will work ok.

Yes you was right lol, misses my Bluetooth loads and miss my rnse but now I have Bluetooth half way there just need to get rnse now then am sorted, one thing though my iPod dock doesn't work for some reason, I scanned with vcds and came up saying it wasn't working could the connection of fallen out the back of my head unit?

Haha. Just tried connecting it and it worked. I also have buckets and can't see it under the seat so maybe it is in a different location. I'm guessing I won't be able to use it untill I have the head unit though?? I did try and make a call just to try but didn't work. But I'm quite happy I only have to buy the rnse now. Thanks for all your help guys.

Depends on whether you have the buttons on your steering wheel or not - if you have you can make/receive a call through the DIS using the wheel

Well I managed to make a phone call. They could here me at the other end but I couldn't here anything through the speakers. Is this due to the kenwood stereo?? On another note do you think I should swap it for a rnse or keep what I've got??

AIUI, if you don't have the RNS-E nor the MFSW to control the phone module then you either have to use the handset itself or, if you have the cradle, you can use the button on it to initiate the speech system for dialling etc.

I would say that the ken wood stereo has probably been put in with no thought to the phone prep - I doubt Audi bluetooth can even talk to non-audi headunits. Get an RNS-E and everything will just slot into place and life will be so much simpler...