S Mode - DSG Box

DaveA3-TDI

Reaction score
Had my S-Line TDi for a while now and have never really used the S mode on the DSG box, normally just use it day to day in D mode.

This might be a silly question but whilst driving in D mode is it ok to go between the D mode and the S mode or should you stop and select the different modes? Just wondered if the box can cope with it or could it be damaging over a period of time?

How does everybody use their S mode?

Thanks

You can switch with no problems and no damage. S mode everytime when you need 100% of the car's performance (overtakes, racing some chavy idiots etc)

As above. play with S mode whilst going. it's fine. it drops it down a gear and has your ready for the "off" :)

No problem Dave, its designed to go between S and D on the move. Drop down to S when you are waiting for that gap to overtake .

My mum used to have a Q7 and as soon as I introduced her to the 'S' mode she NEVER used 'D' again, even for normal driving. Probably explains why her fuel bills started to rise lol!

You certainly see a difference in S. When I first got my 2.0TFSI my first thought was "this is a bit slow.." but that was because in D you'll change gear at 1800rpm which means upon exiting a round-a-bout you'll be in 4th gear... not the ideal gear for a quick get away.

S in a diesel is stupid as it always revs to the redline.

It was good in my Leon as that was mapped so naturally pulled till the line but in the A3 it is ****.

Oh and I stalled it once going from S to D lol.

I find S mode just holds onto the revs for longer in my Mum's 170TDi Touran with the DSG. Pretty pointless when diesels produce their power / torque low down. In petrol variants I can see it would benefit though.

The S mode from what I can gather in mine doesn't just hold onto the revs longer, I can hit ~7k with mine D, it just doesn't change up when the load come off like in D (lifting the foot slightly etc)
So S mod is perfect for fast driving and roundabouts, as in D you always get the drive in to the roundabout put foot down to exit.....annnnnddd it changes down down.

Yup it's way quicker for overtakes as it puts you in the right gear.......
but you know you can just grab the left paddle when it's in D and it changes to manual mode?
and it stays in that until back into 6th and cruising unless you flick the stick to the left and back again.

Or you can hold the right paddle down and it goes back to D mode. ;)

Last edited by a moderator: