Golf GTI V A3 Sportback 2.0 TFSi

a4bob

Reaction score
When I have been pricing these two out very little between them. Has anyone driven both? I am wanting them with the DSG box but would appreciate some views as to which is the better drivers car etc.

Thanks

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/woohoo.gif

It all depends on what floats your boat! When i took out a GTI, it didn't do anything for me in the way that my 3.2 did. GTI is supposedly the better drivers car, A3 is by far the better built and it's interior is in a different league.
However as you probably aren't buying it for track day use or constant bombing on the twisties, you might not ever feel the advantage of having the GTI. For everyday driving they will both have identical performance and descent enough handling.

If you can live with the polo-esque interior and wanted 5 doors i would probably put my money on the golf, (i'm just not convinced by the sportback yet), if i wanted 3 drs, definately the A3-
but wait for the facelift in june!

in terms of residuals, probably better in the short term for the golf (due to limited supply) but in the long term, i think the 4 rings will have the edge. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

PS: VW charge extra for DSG with the paddles!

I haven't driven either, but I'd buy the Sportback on looks alone - IMO the new Golf looks exactly like a 307, which is never a good thing!/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

thanks guys - much appreciated /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

Test drive? Take them both out... insist that you get a good couple of hours at least in each one, and make ur decision from that - I would suggest though that unless you get a long term test, do it on the same day so at least you can get a better chance of getting the same weather conditions....

If you're into driving cars wile wearing a top-hat, the GTi's the one for you /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[ QUOTE ]
If you're into driving cars wile wearing a top-hat, the GTi's the one for you /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, and then just in case there's people with really tall hats, VW brought out the Golf+ /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh_roll.gif

I thought that was what opensky was for. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh_2.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh_2.gif

Going back to the GTI, has anyone seen the 18"s for the GTI, they are amazing. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/heart.gif

[ QUOTE ]
When I have been pricing these two out very little between them. Has anyone driven both? I am wanting them with the DSG box but would appreciate some views as to which is the better drivers car etc.

[/ QUOTE ]

The GTI is a nice car, my neighbour across the street has a red 5 door GTI and driving past it every morning has softened my opinion of it BUT the optional extras are ludicrously priced compared to Audi (just look on the VW website) and his GTI has a black rear bumper which doesnt do anything for the car....

Im weighing up 3 cars: A3 Sport 2.0 TDI, Sline Quattro 2.0 TDI and a 5 door GTI...

Is Quattro worth the extra money for someone that does most of his miles on the Autobahn?

(sorry to go off topic...)

Unkle, did you know the GTI will be available with the new 2.00 TDI (170bhp) in the near future. Just thought i'd mention it, as your main choice in engines is the TDI.

But your spot on about the VW extras, joke.

Will it be named the GTi though, thought there was only going to be the one variant now.

Maybe a GTI TDI????

Dave

Well, I'm still waiting for my new Sportback to arrive and the Volvo S60 has gone back so in the interim my fleet company has given me a brand new Golf to tide me over the next few weeks (only 300 miles on the clock after the delivery guy drove it from London to Leeds). I know it's a 2.0 TDi (the clue is on the back of the car where it says "2.0 TDi") and I'm guessing it's the Sport trim.

Externally I think this car is a dog - actually, no, it's a bitch 'cos it looks all girly. What were VW thinking when they copied Peugeot? The car looks really small and I struggle to spot the difference between Golfs and Polos on the road. Is the Golf really built on the same platform as the A3 and Sportback? It also feels like VW have done their utmost to make this car look as innocuous as possible. YAK!

So, in my view it looks cr ap. Really cr ap. I walk out of my house in a morning to see it's goofy face sitting on my drive and I just want to jump up and down on the bonnet.

Then I get inside. Whoa - where's Christoper Ecclestone 'cos this is Dr Who territory. Where did all this space come from? And, you know, there's an awful lot of similarity with the A3 range. If I squint a bit I can pretend I'm in an Audi so long as I don't look at the VW badge on the steering wheel. If it's night time then the inside looks REALLY nice - VW mixed the red illumination of the Audi with what I find a really nice blue on the dials and CD player. The effect is very pleasing and, dare I say it, more appealing than the A3s (the car I'm driving has the red ambient lights like those found in the interior light pack on the A3). The seats are well made with attractive fabric and have more adjustment than the sport seats on the A3 so another plus there. There are some downsides though - the centre of the dash below the stereo is VERY flimsy. You can actually pull some of the plastic away and I nearly snapped it off yesterday!

Then I start the engine. It's got the same signature as the 2.0 TDi Sportback but has a noticeably louder rattle which I assume is down to less noise-proofing? I reverse to the left out of my drive and notice just how tight the turning circle is, very nimble, and we chug off down the road like farmer Giles on a tractor. 5 minutes later it's a rather different story. The engine has warmed up and is quite smooth when cruising. Put your foot down and the engine usually picks up very well - I think the acceleration may be fractionally better than the equivalent A3s? Need to check the stats. Steering is sharp and responsive. Over and over the word "nimble" comes to mind. Occassionally the word "fun" almost appears too.

I come home and park up, again impressed with the handling. Then I get out and look at the car.

I get flashbacks of my late teens and early twenties (legal point - before I met my wife). You meet in the dark and she looks good. Later you wake up in a strange bed and a grin spreads over your face thinking about what you got up to. You roll over and ... WHO'S THAT FEKKIN MOOSE??? Well that's the feeling I get when I look at the Golf. Yeah you're fun and a bit dirty but what would people think if they saw us in public? Sorry luv, you're dumped.

And of course, the following day you find your mate copped off with GTI sister who's got a stunning face (but her a rse is all wrong).

[ QUOTE ]
And of course, the following day you find your mate copped off with GTI sister who's got a stunning face (but her a rse is all wrong).

[/ QUOTE ]

lmao /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/lol.gif

Have we met?

[ QUOTE ]
Will it be named the GTi though, thought there was only going to be the one variant now.

Maybe a GTI TDI????

Dave

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes.

Gti FAQ

Well... I got my 2.0 TFSI delivered last week (900 km on the clock today) & had a chance to drive the GTI in Dubai 1 month ago...

The visual aspect of the GTI has pretty much been covered above. I wouldn't go as far as naming it the ba stard child of a Polo and a 307 but it is far from stunning.

On the A3 I chose the Ambition package and opted for black/dark grey alcantara leather giving the cabin a qualitative feel in an entire different league than the GTI. It is all about the details and this is where the A3 pulls away. I mean - driving to work this morning with the girlfriend in the passenger seat, she was caressing the the handle to the glove compartment box (brushed alloy with the Quattor logo) commenting on how nice it was made (and I tell you she is normally hard to impress car wise...)

Engine wise - although identical - the GTI felt a bit more aggressive. Hard to pin point exactly but it had a bit more snarl to it whereas the A3 is more refined. Probably my imagination but the turbo pull seemed to give more of a 'kick' in the GTI whereas the A3 just pulls away with a content whistle from 2K RPM and up.

The Quattro option for the A3 more than makes up for the miniscule difference in performance though. I cannot begin to praise this master piece of engeneering enough. The car is simply sucked onto the road in nearly any kind of driving environment (to which the Saab 93 2.3T I met last night can attest to).

In summary (although biased) - I would never once consider the GTI as a comparable alternative to the A3.

Once I get on the other side of 1000 KMs on the clock I will cave in and do either an AMD or MTM re-map. Will keep you updated on the progress.

Kenneth