When did the 8P receive it's various updates?

davoaj

Reaction score
Hi guys

Pressing on with my research ahead of what will hopefully be a June/July purchase of either a 2.0T or 3.2 Quattro Sportback.

I'm trying to figure out when the Sportback went through its various updates, and to figure out what the details of each update were. I've tried a search without success whether on hear or google.

I'm looking at either Sport or S Line spec from 56 plate onwards I reckon. I'd like to get as new a car as possible ideally subject to self imposed budget so am particularly keen to know when the major facelift kicked in and what it included.

Cheers

Al

On the 3.2 the facelift appeared around 55 I think on the sportback. Remember anything after 06 will be higher tax on the 3.2, over £400 a year. Where as pre 06 is still £260. Not sure about the 2.0T but probably about the same time, they're better on fuel and easier to tune but dearer to buy. I absolutely love my v6 but search the forum cos there are a few issues that you need to be aware of. I think user marknjayne has his up for sale, and clem2192 is thinking of selling his with red leather and BBS CH's. They may both be 3 doors though. Good luck.

Cheers mate, yeah conscious of the tax issue with the 3.2. Whilst the heart says yes on the V6, the head will probably say no on a fuel consumption basis.

Would ideally not want to spend more than 10 to 12k, which according to Parker's should get me in a something around an 08 but the dealer values seems to be a good couple of grand above that at the moment.

Something post 08 would be amazing, reckon that's when the latest facelift kicked in but would need prices to tumble a bit in the next 4/5 months.

Might happen with the new shape due soon. I think you're right about 8P3 changing in 2008. You should get around 20-25 mpg mixed in the 3.2 and from reading about I think the 2.0T is about 30-35, so depends on how many miles you do. There's obviously pros and cons for both, but it's a nice choice to have to make.

sportbacks came out on a 54 plate, the s-line models came out in 2006... which soon came with the option ot have bi-xenon headlights.
the change over to the 8P3 (facelifted models with the option ot have LED lights) came out mid 2008. most model changes that audi do are around july/august so you will see that the newer changes appear on '5*' plates ie. 54, 56, 58.

the update on the 56 plates (S-Line kit) was the s-Line styling pack (front and rear bumpers, spoiler, black headlining and also the optional S-Line leather seats)

the 58 plate facelift update was a whole new front end (new bumpers new headlights, wider grills, indicator on mirrors) which also had the optional bi-xenon LED DRL headlights. there were other changes in the facelift but there are loads to go through

since there have been some styling changes like chrome door handles, chrome window switches and glossy black 'b' pillars... its really a case of finding the car that appeals to you

Pretty sure S-Line styling came out on 55 tied in with the 3dr also gaining the big grill front which the Sportback has always had since 54. My old 170 S-Line was an 06.

I’m still not sure what mileage I’m likely to be doing, but as I’m planning on this car being a long term addition with some family duties no doubt included, I can’t help but think that the 20-25mpg on the 3.2 will start to be a little frustrating. As much as I’d enjoy the smoothness of it, I’ve had the 2.0T in a MkV GTI before and always really liked that engine whilst not having the soundtrack of the V6 obviously.

I reckon I’d like to try and push myself for the 8P3 facelift from the 58 plate onwards, hopefully the arrival of the new A3 might help out with values there. Am I right in thinking that if I did that it’d be S-Tronic only from then in the Quattro with the newer engine producing 211bhp as standard?

Alternatively I’d still be very happy with a pre 58 plate car. Lovely one on Audi approved at the minute in deep sea blue, but again, by my reckoning it’s above book even for a main dealer at about GBP 13.8k.

Pretty sure S-Line styling came out on 55 tied in with the 3dr also gaining the big grill front which the Sportback has always had since 54.

That's correct.

Pretty sure S-Line styling came out on 55 tied in with the 3dr also gaining the big grill front which the Sportback has always had since 54. My old 170 S-Line was an 06.
i work for a car trader and I've only ever seen 06 on with the s-line styling the 55 reg cars didnt have this they looked like the sport but with the s-line wheels on basically

It did, i had a 55 plate 2.0L TDI S line Quattro which was identical to my 56 plate non Quattro i have now.

i work for a car trader and I've only ever seen 06 on with the s-line styling the 55 reg cars didnt have this they looked like the sport but with the s-line wheels on basically

Incorrect mate, deffo come out on a 55 as i used to own one, it was register in January 2006 before the 06 prefix came out.

I've seen loads of proper S-Lines on 55! Couple of autotrader;

media

media

05 and earlier were the halfway house S-Lines which just had a badge on standard grill and also rear side s-line badges, interior usually had the early silver trim (knobbly metal) and s-line steering wheel and interior upgrade (I think) without the s-line emboss on the seats. Looked at a 54-plate "Sline" and it was a really nice spec, standard sport exterior but nice leather/alcantara interior, bose, cruise, folding mirrors, wheel controls etc.

Last edited: