S3 DSG Stage 2+ ... Yay or Nay?

andywaddy

Reaction score
Well, I've been at Stage 1 for about a month now and whilst you'll still struggle to prize me out the thing...I can't help but want to go to Stage 2+ when I see various build threads which keep popping up every day!

It's just a simple question to people who have done it in the past or who are at that stage now as to whether it is worth it and is it really a world apart from Stage 1?

Also, from what I gather, all I need is a free-flow downpipe, CAI (looking at ITG maxogens so any opinions on those welcome) and new high HPFP internals (looking at Autotech HPFP), if I'm missing anything, feel free to shout up :)

Thanks!

Andy

Been there done that. Got the bill. It's world apart I promise. Totally different car. And you are correct on our shopping list. But you won't get change from £1500 all fitted.

Reactions: akash_sky1
It's quite a step up from stage 1, but so are the wear and tear bills that come with it. More tyres, brakes, clutches, plugs, cam followers.... You might want to consider suspension or brake upgrades with S2+, and a catch can as the oil will work harder, and an RS4 fuel regulator, and CAI wrap, and throttle body hose an DV upgrade hose.... And an intercooler upgrade. And rob a fuel tanker.....! That said it is PROPERLY quick when it's all kitted up.

Reactions: pinterovski
Exactly what Warren said its another couple of grand on top. You cannot beat bang for buck on a stage 1 Map, especially the map you've got Andy :wub:

And another agreement with the others.....Stage 1 is almost a bargain,and with each step up the scale,the car does get a lot quicker,but it gets expensive quickly.

I went to S2+ on my last car without understanding the full extent of how the changes would affect the cars. If you look at it quickly you think, it's only another 10% power or 30bhp, but the car is now running 100bhp over stock. Intake temps go skyward, brakes are pushed to their limits, the understeery handling is exacerbated, engine mounts are stretched....

I did the minimum to get it there, and everything felt over stretched. This time I am going to make the necessary investment to make it work 100%. But it will take time, and a good chunk of cash. Unless you are totally committed and you want the payback deserved for your investment I'd be inclined to do as N8 says and stay at S1.

Reactions: andywaddy, pinterovski and Kelza
I went to S2+ on my last car without understanding the full extent of how the changes would affect the cars. If you look at it quickly you think, it's only another 10% power or 30bhp, but the car is now running 100bhp over stock. Intake temps go skyward, brakes are pushed to their limits, the understeery handling is exacerbated, engine mounts are stretched....I did the minimum to get it there, and everything felt over stretched. This time I am going to make the necessary investment to make it work 100%. But it will take time, and a good chunk of cash. Unless you are totally committed and you want the payback deserved for your investment I'd be inclined to do as N8 says and stay at S1.
Hi Warren.....I see what you're getting at.
With my own car,I'd done the brakes,suspension and Haldex around the same time as Stg2+,and it made sure that the car could brake as well as go,and cope with corners too....You're quite right in saying that you need a lot of money and commitment to getting it right to make it both worthwhile and safe,and unless you do so,there's a lot to be said for Stg1.

Reactions: pinterovski
STAGE 2+=NUTS

Ive experienced REVO STAGE 2+ in a Editon 30 golf DSG tfsi. It has a job trying to find grip, even with a anti lift kit ( it still lifts loads!! nose goes up back goes right down) its suspension is currently standard....

Probably much better in a 4WD.

However its lots of ££££££££ :(

but well worth it if you do have the cash about, would love to do it to mine... probably will... very very slowly...

You could just go STAGE 2. Would save taking the bumper off for intercoolers etc. would still be a nuts fast motor. just depends how deep your pockets are.

I found stage 2 offered little gains over 1 for the money. To me there is 1 or there is 2+. 2 left me scratching my head a bit.

Haldex is essential to get the best from 2+ is all conditions, bet the Golf is amazing in the dry, but a handful on days like today (for those reading this in 6 months it snowed today!).

I'm soooo looking forward to Stage 2+, roll on the 15th!

I found stage 2 offered little gains over 1 for the money. To me there is 1 or there is 2+. 2 left me scratching my head a bit.

Haldex is essential to get the best from 2+ is all conditions, bet the Golf is amazing in the dry, but a handful on days like today (for those reading this in 6 months it snowed today!).

Yeah the golf is insane in the dry! Mine boggling really! Its a true sleeper.... apart from the REVO stickers on the door...which look ****e might i add but thats just me!

A nice lottery win would be nice right about now.....

Well you should try going from 2+ back to stage 1!?

Hate to say it but I actually really enjoy stage 1. Less aggressive and I dont feel like I'm waisting the car as I simply don't get to drive it hard and it's just parked at the train station all day. Thought I would hate it but less noise, less stress and overall really loving it!!

Just need to sell it now........

when at stage 2+ I know the left dsg paddle is basically like firing a missile. I've only driven one for about 5 mins but I think I would probablybe dead after 6 mins. my right food is a bit heavy.. so I can see why stage 1 might be more desirable for everyday commute to work...

Thanks for all the above replies...really appreciated.

I'm definitely going to go ahead with it but as you suggest Warren...I won't be rushing it! If I'm going to do it...I may as well do it properly :) it's just going to a slow process I guess! Nonetheless - I cannot wait!

2+ is awesome, go for it. Just make sure you get a good PCV fix or catch can, uprated mounts and brakes, so you can really use it and not ****** the car,change the oil more regularly, and check your cam follower.