Bad vibes from drivers footwell.

rockape

Per ardua
Reaction score
Hopefully someone can help me with the one. Had new front top mounts fitted a couple of weeks ago and the alignment was also checked. Now, over the past few days I've noticed a constant vibration through the footrest and pedals at all speeds. Noticed it more on the footrest though and it seems to be getting worse so much so that my foot is tingling for ages after a drive and Im in fear of getting vibration white foot lol!.
There's no vibration through the steering wheel but when going round roundabouts the tyres feel like they're grabbing on the inside edge. It didn't do this before I had the new top mounts fitted but I can't see how this would cause the vibration in the footwell.

Any ideas guys?

DMF, but unlikely it would go that quick. Who did the work on the car? Might be worth taking it back for them to have a look at in case anything is rubbing or worse wearing.

As it's not coming through steering wheel I'm ignoring wheel balancing.

DMF, but unlikely it would go that quick. Who did the work on the car? Might be worth taking it back for them to have a look at in case anything is rubbing or worse wearing.

As it's not coming through steering wheel I'm ignoring wheel balancing.

Having read a few threads before posting I was thinking this might be the problem Warren but wasn't sure. It would be sods law as my warranty has just ran out too!
It might also explain a very faint clunk when letting out the clutch from first to second gear that no garage has yet diagnosed. The vibration does feel as if its coming from the the area directly underneath the foot rest though.

At first I thought it was just road vibration due to the uprated kw shocks and that I had never noticed it before but it has definitely got worse in the last 2 days. Driving home from work tonight I had to take my foot off the foot rest because it was numb.

Revolution in Gateshead did all the suspension mods so Ill be taking it back there on Monday morning.

KW stuff is excellent so I doubt it's that. Sods law now warranty is out and you've spent on suspension it will be something costly.

Best of luck getting it sorted mate.

Hopefully someone can help me with the one. Had new front top mounts fitted a couple of weeks ago and the alignment was also checked. Now, over the past few days I've noticed a constant vibration through the footrest and pedals at all speeds. Noticed it more on the footrest though and it seems to be getting worse so much so that my foot is tingling for ages after a drive and Im in fear of getting vibration white foot lol!.
There's no vibration through the steering wheel but when going round roundabouts the tyres feel like they're grabbing on the inside edge. It didn't do this before I had the new top mounts fitted but I can't see how this would cause the vibration in the footwell.

Any ideas guys?

I have exactly the same problem its so annoying the vibration in the pedals and im getting the tingling feeling too will have a check of the wheel balancing

did the wheel balancing has fixed it only very slight vibration now and a much smoother drive on coilovers. what else could cause this?

Well, had everything checked and thankfully it's all ok. Apparently the Dmf would be different to what I'm experiencing.
The only thing we can put it down to is more road feedback due to the tyre wear(5mm atm and could do with rotating to the rear and maybe some softer rubber at the front) and a more firm ride coupled with the cold weather making everything less compliant. Really never noticed it before though and I'll have to see what its like on a long motorway journey coming up soon.

I had something very similar on our Gti 1.8T after a full alignment at VW. The car had always pulled to the left slightly from new but after the alignment it was perfect. However, there was a vibration with a rumble noise. I had just replaced 3 of the tyres but there had been no noise before the alignment. The VW tech was stumped but then decided to try the unused spare instead of the 4th tyre. All noise and vibration stopped.
The diagnosis was that the un changed tyre had produced a wear pattern that was now not compatible with the correct alignment and so it was almost fighting the road rather than just rolling along. I had difficulty believing this but a new tyre so all 4 were new sorted it out.
Do you have a mate with a similar car hat has not needed an alignment that you could try their wheels/tyres on your car?

Peter