AH FabricationsEM Tuning
    Is loving his new 8V S3!

Status

Locking Wheel Nuts - Audi or Other?

Hi guys,

Swapping my wheels from front to back today and noticed that one of the locking wheel nuts is not too great, and kept slipping out of the key. It looks slight rounded and the key is a bit mashed as well. I want to change them all before i can't get the nut off!

Should I get a new set from Audi, or are they other better ones out there? Do you guys running fancy alloys have any more security than just one locking nut?

Cheers
    S3 8V Sportback Stronic, Estoril Blue Crystal Effect, Black Interior, Adaptive Cruise with Stop & Go & Pre Sense, Super Sports Seats with Electric Lumber, LED Headlights, Interior Lighting Pack, Hill Hold Assist, Privacy Glass, Comfort Package, Technology Package with Audi Connect, Advance Key, Folding Door Mirrors, Extended Mono.Pur Interior, Front and Rear Parking Sensors, Audi Sound System.

Build Thread Here!

2. # ADS
    ADS

3rd Gear

Status
    go on ebay mate and youll get some genuine ones on there. one per wheel is more than enought.

Is loving his new 8V S3!

Status
    OK, just had a look not many on there. Want new ones really. Lots of McGuard ones, any good?
    S3 8V Sportback Stronic, Estoril Blue Crystal Effect, Black Interior, Adaptive Cruise with Stop & Go & Pre Sense, Super Sports Seats with Electric Lumber, LED Headlights, Interior Lighting Pack, Hill Hold Assist, Privacy Glass, Comfort Package, Technology Package with Audi Connect, Advance Key, Folding Door Mirrors, Extended Mono.Pur Interior, Front and Rear Parking Sensors, Audi Sound System.

Build Thread Here!

"Cruise My Ride"

Status
    Yes mcgard are excellent but keep in mind that your existing wheel nut cover will not fit. But you can mod it to fit if you follow a guide I recently posted.
    Most important if you go after market lock bolts, then make sure they are of "radius" type if you have genuine A3 alloys.
    VCDS Owner-North London/Enfield
    " To Cruise Is What I Do"

Is loving his new 8V S3!

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Dannykn9 View Post
    Yes mcgard are excellent but keep in mind that your existing wheel nut cover will not fit. But you can mod it to fit if you follow a guide I recently posted.
    Most important if you go after market lock bolts, then make sure they are of "radius" type if you have genuine A3 alloys.
    Thanks, wil go for them then. My OEM wheeld don't have wheel nut covers, as the cover is the type which covers all 5 holes at once (if you know what I mean!).

Build Thread Here!

5th Gear

Status
    Get mcgards silky. They are the best lockers. No crappy pins to snap off or grooves to get rounded over.

"Cruise My Ride"

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Silky-S3 View Post
    Thanks, wil go for them then. My OEM wheeld don't have wheel nut covers, as the cover is the type which covers all 5 holes at once (if you know what I mean!).
    Yep, i know the ones mate. You want be dissapointed with them fella. Also make sure you get the right length ones. I have the 41mm length as i have 11mm spacers.
    Before you buy it, contact the seller and they should advise the correct ones. IIRC, halfrauds sell them, i got mine from Demon tweeks, excellent service.
    Last edited by Dannykn9; 4th February 2012 at 20:00.

"Cruise My Ride"

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by W8 Performance View Post
    Get mcgards silky. They are the best lockers. No crappy pins to snap off or grooves to get rounded over.
    +1

Did you get round to modding your nut covers?

3rd Gear

Status
    How much is a new OEM set? I picked up a new set off the bay for £20.

"Cruise My Ride"

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Minstadave View Post
    How much is a new OEM set? I picked up a new set off the bay for £20.
    about £36 from the stealers!!!

Fossie

Status
    £34

5th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Dannykn9 View Post
    +1

Did you get round to modding your nut covers?
    Not yet Danny, my garage is having an office built into it and it's freezing out there at the moment. Will end up doing it at some point though as it looks odd with the mcgards showing. The car is filthy at the moment though so no one can tell anyway

Is loving his new 8V S3!

Status
    Cheers boys. Just waiting to to see if Im gonna buy seem spacers (or maybe wheels!) then I'll get some. If I get some BBS wheels would I need longer bolts that the OEM ones?

Build Thread Here!

5th Gear

Status
    You wouldnt need longer bolts if you got BBS wheels that were a direct fit an didnt require spacers. PM me if you are after BBS wheels as you wont get them cheaper The BBS wheel will come with a new set of bolts as well, or normally do.

Rob

she's no d-turbo

Status
    The teeth have sheared on a few OEM locking nuts I've had, the quality of them is appalling. They are around £35 for a replacement from the dealers as well.

Either buy McGard ones or do without them IMO
    For Sale -
    A3 rear wiper motor and arm
    A3 air vents
    56plate A3 S-Line full speaker system including amp

Is loving his new 8V S3!

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by W8 Performance View Post
    You wouldnt need longer bolts if you got BBS wheels that were a direct fit an didnt require spacers. PM me if you are after BBS wheels as you wont get them cheaper The BBS wheel will come with a new set of bolts as well, or normally do.

Rob
    PM sent mate!

Build Thread Here!

5th Gear

Status
    Replied