Locking Wheel Nuts - Audi or Other?

Silky-S3

Is loving his new 8V S3!
Reaction score
Hi guys,

Swapping my wheels from front to back today and noticed that one of the locking wheel nuts is not too great, and kept slipping out of the key. It looks slight rounded and the key is a bit mashed as well. I want to change them all before i can't get the nut off!

Should I get a new set from Audi, or are they other better ones out there? Do you guys running fancy alloys have any more security than just one locking nut?

Cheers
:)

go on ebay mate and youll get some genuine ones on there. one per wheel is more than enought.

OK, just had a look not many on there. Want new ones really. Lots of McGuard ones, any good?

Yes mcgard are excellent but keep in mind that your existing wheel nut cover will not fit. But you can mod it to fit if you follow a guide I recently posted.
Most important if you go after market lock bolts, then make sure they are of "radius" type if you have genuine A3 alloys.

Yes mcgard are excellent but keep in mind that your existing wheel nut cover will not fit. But you can mod it to fit if you follow a guide I recently posted.
Most important if you go after market lock bolts, then make sure they are of "radius" type if you have genuine A3 alloys.

Thanks, wil go for them then. My OEM wheeld don't have wheel nut covers, as the cover is the type which covers all 5 holes at once (if you know what I mean!).

Thanks, wil go for them then. My OEM wheeld don't have wheel nut covers, as the cover is the type which covers all 5 holes at once (if you know what I mean!).

Yep, i know the ones mate. You want be dissapointed with them fella. Also make sure you get the right length ones. I have the 41mm length as i have 11mm spacers.
Before you buy it, contact the seller and they should advise the correct ones. IIRC, halfrauds sell them, i got mine from Demon tweeks, excellent service.

Last edited:
How much is a new OEM set? I picked up a new set off the bay for £20.

+1

Did you get round to modding your nut covers?

Not yet Danny, my garage is having an office built into it and it's freezing out there at the moment. Will end up doing it at some point though as it looks odd with the mcgards showing. The car is filthy at the moment though so no one can tell anyway ;)

Cheers boys. Just waiting to to see if Im gonna buy seem spacers (or maybe wheels!) then I'll get some. If I get some BBS wheels would I need longer bolts that the OEM ones?

You wouldnt need longer bolts if you got BBS wheels that were a direct fit an didnt require spacers. PM me if you are after BBS wheels as you wont get them cheaper :) The BBS wheel will come with a new set of bolts as well, or normally do.

Rob

The teeth have sheared on a few OEM locking nuts I've had, the quality of them is appalling. They are around £35 for a replacement from the dealers as well.

Either buy McGard ones or do without them IMO

You wouldnt need longer bolts if you got BBS wheels that were a direct fit an didnt require spacers. PM me if you are after BBS wheels as you wont get them cheaper :) The BBS wheel will come with a new set of bolts as well, or normally do.

Rob

PM sent mate!