AH FabricationsChris Nott
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By N8

Thread: RETRO-FIT XENON PLUS HEADLIGHTS NEW MODELS A3

Reverse Gear

Status

RETRO-FIT XENON PLUS HEADLIGHTS NEW MODELS A3

hello folks,

I've got a 2010 a3 with the standard headlights, I wish to change the original headlights to the xenon plus headlights (DRLs). I know this isn't an easy task as I popped into the local Audi showroom and asked about this conversion and they said they don't have a script procedure for this and it would require new control units, wiring & re-programming and could be a trial and error experiment.

HAS ANYONE EVER DOES THIS? OR KNOW OF ANY GARAGE THAT CAN DO THIS?.......surely its possible for a reasonable price.

Thanks for any help.

2. # ADS
    ADS

Neutral

Status
    There are people on here that can do it, but it wont be cheap. To make it pass the MOT you need headlight washers and auto levelling, which as far as i know requires buying a new bumper. As well as the actual lights, which seem to go on ebay for around £600.
    1.8Tfsi Brilliant Black S-line

Status
    [QUOTE=mancman;1484536]hello folks,

I've got a 2010 a3 with the standard headlights, I wish to change the original headlights to the xenon plus headlights (DRLs). I know this isn't an easy task as I popped into the local Audi showroom and asked about this conversion and they said they don't have a script procedure for this and it would require new control units, wiring & re-programming and could be a trial and error experiment.

HAS ANYONE EVER DOES THIS? OR KNOW OF ANY GARAGE THAT CAN DO THIS?.......surely its possible for a reasonable price.

Thanks for any help.[/QUOTE

Nigel user NHN is your man.

N8
    Kowalski Details

Status

My Social Networking

Add N8 on Facebook Visit N8's Instagram Channel
    Be prepared to spend thousands not hundreds.

"Will these wheel fit my car PM's will not be replied to, do you research & use the SEARCH button"

Detailing - Wheel Refurbishment - Shark Performance Software - VagbremTechnic Dealer - OEM Retrofitting - Remus - V-Maxx - Goodridge

Fossie

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by N8 View Post
    Be prepared to spend thousands not hundreds.
    Agreed !!

JNP
    1st Gear

Status
    Hi guys, i was searching around for this answer on the forums but couldnt find it so here goes.

Is it a case of a straight swap if you had 2007 xenons, as you would get on an S3 for example, to the 58 plate onwards xenons with the DRL's?

Just wondering really for when I go looking for an S3 late in the year??

Thanks,

Jim
    S3 8L AMK 51' - V3 Badger TIP - Jetex Cone w/ Heatshield - Forge FMDV008 - DS2500 Front Pads - 312/256 Discs - HR Sportkit

5th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by JNP View Post
    Hi guys, i was searching around for this answer on the forums but couldnt find it so here goes.

Is it a case of a straight swap if you had 2007 xenons, as you would get on an S3 for example, to the 58 plate onwards xenons with the DRL's?

Just wondering really for when I go looking for an S3 late in the year??

Thanks,

Jim
    Nope you will need a new bonnet, wings, bumper. The headlight on the 58plate onwards with the leds are a different shape to that of the cars before 58 registrations.
    2008 A3 1.8TFSI 3 Door S Line - Lava Grey - Bose - Bluetooth - S Line Full Black Leather - Aux - Comfort Pack - Coming Home Lights - Storage Pack - Cruise Control - Ambient Interior Light - Footwell Lights - Audi IPhone 4 Cradle - Leather Armrest - BE Rear - MY09 Rear Lights - S3 Pedals - S3 Vents - BBS RS866 - Bi Xenons - Bluefin Stage 1 - K&N 57S Intake - Rev D Valve - Powerflex Dogbone Insert & Gear Box Mount

N8
    Kowalski Details

Status

My Social Networking

It's a little more than that, but yeh, in essence it's a big job!

"Will these wheel fit my car PM's will not be replied to, do you research & use the SEARCH button"

Detailing - Wheel Refurbishment - Shark Performance Software - VagbremTechnic Dealer - OEM Retrofitting - Remus - V-Maxx - Goodridge

The Xenons currently cost £1020 as a factory fitted option from new which is probably why there are a lot of cars around without them.

Personally I think it's a £1000 well spent so I always order my new A3s with them factory fitted. If anyone is looking for a 2009 A3 Sportback SE 2.0TDI-140 remapped to 170 with Xenons and 17" alloys as well as other extras I will be selling mine shortly as my new one is due to be made next week.
    Dave R (h5djr)
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A3 8V 2.0 TDI-184 Sportback Sport s-tronic quattro - Silver + lots of options - my 9th A3

N8
    Kowalski Details

Status

My Social Networking

It's cheap from new Dave, and a huge expense doing so afterwards. Adaptive 8P3 xenons are at least £2k new from Audi.

Yes that's one of the advantages of being able to buy a new A3. You can have just the spec that you want from new. The new Sportback I have on order has £4,625 worth of options, including of course the most expensive option, the adaptive Xenons.
    Dave R (h5djr)
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A3 8V 2.0 TDI-184 Sportback Sport s-tronic quattro - Silver + lots of options - my 9th A3

Yorkshire & Humber Rep.

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by sting3rr View Post
    There are people on here that can do it, but it wont be cheap. To make it pass the MOT you need headlight washers and auto levelling, which as far as i know requires buying a new bumper. As well as the actual lights, which seem to go on ebay for around £600.
    why do ppl keep saying you need the washers and auto levelling ?
    its been posted up loads they only test washers and auto level IF there fitted

Quote Originally Posted by bez101 View Post
    why do ppl keep saying you need the washers and auto levelling ?
    its been posted up loads they only test washers and auto level IF there fitted
    The MOT may only check for washers and auto levelling if they are fitted but the UK Construction and Use Regulations make no provision for Xenon HID's at all. This means that Xenon HID's are not allowed in the UK. Manufacturer's get round this by holding European Type Approval for their designs and vehicles which hold this can be used in the UK as it overrules the C+U Regulations. However fitting them to a non-type approved headlamp unit without the prerequisite auto levelling and washing systems would not meet the Type Approval and are therefore illegal.

This is also the reason why all aftermarket HID kits are illegal as they do not have any form of European Type Approval for a particular vehicle.
    Last edited by h5djr; 5th February 2012 at 20:07.
    Dave R (h5djr)

N8
    Kowalski Details

Status

My Social Networking

Spoken from Mr Audi himself
    h5djr likes this.