AH FabricationsSky Insurance
    Neutral

Status

Audi AO tyres whats the difference?

I'm looking to buy a new set of tyres off camskill I was going to go for PS3's but I notice they do CONTINENTAL SPORT CONTACT 2 225/40R18 92Y XL (AO) FR TL (Audi) as well as ONTINENTAL SPORT CONTACT 5's.

What I wanted to know is whats the difference between the normal contact 2's and the AO Audi ones and if the Contact 5's would be a better choice?

Richard

2. # ADS
    ADS

3rd Gear

Status
    SC2's are not meant to be that good, SC5's on the other hand are meant to be the nuts! As for the AO i have no clue.
    55' BMW 330Cd M Sport
    The ones that have been left behind:
    • 2004 VW Golf R32
    • 2004 Audi A3 2.0 TDi Sport
    • 2000 BMW 318i M Sport
    Private plate for sale: Y 7RYY

3rd Gear

Status
    stands for Audi only, I have SC3's which are very good and the quietest tyre I've owned, all mine have MO on them (Mercedes only) not sure whether there is any difference between them all

Neutral

Status
    I'm sure its something like its been designed with Audi for the best tyre.

events moderator

Status
    is it something that they came on from the factory sort of thing , I've got no idea either lol
    off the road boohoo anyone got a gearbox for me lol!!

4th Gear

Status
    Its to do with the tyre manufacturers producing tyres marked for the brands they fit on as OEM tyres, they do massive deals with car manufacturers to get their tyres on cars and when the deals are agreed they will produce x amount of tyres marked with the manufacturers designation. Most will go to the manufacturer but part of the deal is x amount will made available to the public to buy as replacements. Continental say that the first three sets of tyres on alot of cars will be what they came with from the factory as the owner will want to keep it original. After that the car starts getting to an age where price becomes more of an issue for the tyre purchaser and depending on the owner (if they are even the original buyer at that point) the tyre brand and model starts to become a non issue over price.

Car manufacturers have lots of different idents for OEM tyres, AO is Audi Option, MO Mercedes Option, a Star on the side wall is BMW, N0 N1 and N2 is Porsche.

The tyres are the same the only difference is molds they come from though have the OEM designation, i.e. the SC3 with AO, MO or the star will all be built with the same construction and rubber just the mold has the emblem on it.
    Now:BMW 530d M-sport tourer. Then:Lava Grey A3 Sportback S-line 2.0TFSI Quattro, S-line Special Edition, Xenon Plus, Leather, Light and Rain Pack, Interior light Pack, Bose, DVD Nav+, Bluetooth, Multifunction wheel,Cruise, Heated Front Seats, Folding Mirrors, Rear Parking Sensor and some other bits.

events moderator

Status
    ah makes sense now thanks mate
    off the road boohoo anyone got a gearbox for me lol!!

Neutral

Status
    Good answer dandle!

4th Gear

Status
    My PS2's are all MO's. Its the only PS2's I could get. No difference that I can notice.
    Now:
    TTS, Leon Cupra R, MK2 Golf GTi 16v BB 3dr & MK4 Golf "GTi" 2.0 8v

Past:
    S3 8P3
    A3 2.0T
    S3 8L REVO
    306 Rallye
    Impreza STi8
    Leon Cupra R REVO
    S3 8L REVO
    Impreza T2000
    306 Rallye
    MK3 Golf GTi 8v
    & more in between

1st Gear

Status
    Dandle has it spot on. It's just a marketing / sales ploy. Someone called one of the tyre makers about MO spec tyres and they admitted straight away that 99.9% of OEM spec tyres are identical to none OEM. They said that on ultra high end cars they may make a slight change to the compound (e.g. on a SL63 AMG )

6th Gear

Status
    The code also means that there will be ever so slight design change on the tyre to suit the manufacturer. Mostly the design change is the side wall design. For example Honda S2000's use Bridgestone RE050 however they have to be the MZ coded ones as the side wall is much stiffer. It's very noticeable when you drive an S2000 with none MZ tyres.

1st Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by LEW1S.W View Post
    Good answer dandle!
    Agree 10/10 but 'mould' please not 'mold'!

4th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by RobinA3 View Post
    The code also means that there will be ever so slight design change on the tyre to suit the manufacturer. Mostly the design change is the side wall design. For example Honda S2000's use Bridgestone RE050 however they have to be the MZ coded ones as the side wall is much stiffer. It's very noticeable when you drive an S2000 with none MZ tyres.
    I can't comment on Bridgestone but Contis are certainly the same no slight differences at all. If they make a tyre specifically for the model it gets renamed like Sport Contact M3.

Quote Originally Posted by WAFTER View Post
    Agree 10/10 but 'mould' please not 'mold'!
    Good spot
    Now:BMW 530d M-sport tourer. Then:Lava Grey A3 Sportback S-line 2.0TFSI Quattro, S-line Special Edition, Xenon Plus, Leather, Light and Rain Pack, Interior light Pack, Bose, DVD Nav+, Bluetooth, Multifunction wheel,Cruise, Heated Front Seats, Folding Mirrors, Rear Parking Sensor and some other bits.

c_w
    5th Gear

Status
    Porsche-spec N-rated tyres are definiely NOT the same as non-n-rated tyres off the same type, the sidewalls on them are very stiff and sometimes the difference is more than that, different rim protector/sidewall.

1st Gear

Status
    I have conti sport contact 5s and i have to say they are much grippier in the wet and dry than my previous PS3s also a bit quieter too, so looks like the reviews on them are bang on
    A3 2.0TDi 170 S Line Brilliant Black

Plans: FBMFSW, RNSE MkII, S3 Diffuser and Skirts, OEM Bi-Xenon

1st Gear

Status

My Social Networking

Follow rezulteo On Twitter Add rezulteo on Facebook
    Hi,

First of all AO is the Audi Tyre marking. This means Audi worked with the tyre manufacturer to develop this tyres, and it has been designed with their vehicles in mind.

The Continental Sport Contact 5 is the newer version of the Continental Sport Contact 2. It would be best to take advantage of the newest most recent technology.
    All tyres for Audi and tyre news, advice, tests and comparisons on http://www.rezulteo-tyres.co.uk
    Follow us on Twitter !
    Like our Facebook page !

4th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by rezulteo View Post
    First of all AO is the Audi Tyre marking. This means Audi worked with the tyre manufacturer to develop this tyres, and it has been designed with their vehicles in mind.
    It doesn't mean Audi worked with the tyre manufacturer at all. It means they both have done a deal for the tyre manufacturer to supply Audi OEM tyres.

S3 Pollution Plus+ Edition

Status
    Bridgestones RE05A's good but noisy I find. Michelin's are the way to go I think. Very good in the wet I found.
    2012 Ibis Black Edition S-tronic S3, 3 Door, Shark Stage 2, MTC Intake Kit, Powerflex Fast Road Dogbone Mount, Full Non Res Milltek Exhaust, Forge Development Intercooler + DV system,
    340bhp Mikes Ibis BE 2012 S3...

Neutral

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by c_w View Post
    Porsche-spec N-rated tyres are definiely NOT the same as non-n-rated tyres off the same type, the sidewalls on them are very stiff and sometimes the difference is more than that, different rim protector/sidewall.
    ^^^^^ This, having been shown the Michelin tyres and the differences I whole heartedly agree, They are NOT the same.

Kevin

Neutral

Status
    Conti 5 mo laughs at conti 2 ao. Really in a different league.

3rd Gear

Status
    Sorry to resurrect but just wondering - if MO and AO are the same as non oem, why do they have different ratings?

here is MO v normal
    Mobile Photobucket

AO shows 'F' for fuel and 'B' for wet weather.

Ok this basis it seems normal would be the better buy but not sure
    S3 Sportback

1st Gear

Status
    The Porsche N0,N1,N2 tyres are very different to the normal versions - different compounds, different construction and hence different characteristics.

How different Audi and Mercedes 'specific' items are is debatable, but given the different ratings then I'd suspect the compund is different. Externally without the AO/MO markings you'll not visually see anything - perhaps the treadwear rating is different, but tread designa nd general sidewall design will be identical.

At least with the EU tyre ratings, you can see what the differences are, rather than just plumping for the cheapest version of a specific tyre because its the best in test, or recommended. That of course assumes all similar tyres were tested on the same rims on the same car (wheel weight will affect economy, and my Golf Mk 6 17" alloys were stoooopidly heavy).