AH FabricationsMonster Motorsport
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    3rd Gear

Status

Number Plate Spacing

As above, anyone had any experience with running there private plates spaced differently? I've got Y7 RYY which I want to run as Y 7RYY.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
    55' BMW 330Cd M Sport
    The ones that have been left behind:
    • 2004 VW Golf R32
    • 2004 Audi A3 2.0 TDi Sport
    • 2000 BMW 318i M Sport
    Private plate for sale: Y 7RYY

2. # ADS
    ADS

Status
    I ran

L7ON R

on my Leon Cupra R, spaced as above. I'm looking at an S3 style plate which may need a bit of inventive spacing to make it work!

I think it depends on drivers age, car condition as to how likely you are to get away with it. Supposedly, as DVLA don't sell you the number plate, just the right to display it, they can revoke the right if you are caught abusing it, but you'd hope it wouldn't get to that.

I'll be going the same route, plenty of Range Rovers round here with spaced plates that seem to be left alone. You hope they'd address drivers on phones first!
    Audi S3 Panther Black [2011] Build Thread
    Mods: Revo Stg2, Blueflame TBE, Eibach Pro springs, R8 oil cap

On order: Audi S5 3.0V6T Coupe Black Edition, Phantom Black [Due 26 May 2014]

Planned Mods: Revo Stg1+ with DSG map, Revo CAI, custom exhaust, H&R Trax spacers, EM Tuning LED interior lights, R8 oil cap, Porsche coolant & brake fluid cap

3rd Gear

Status
    Thanks buddy! My mates got Y HA7E, such a sick plate! I just hope the plate will look decent once its on the car!

Thing is though i was watching the dvla auction for the past few days and a whole load of them plates were being sold for big money with the clear knowledge that people were going to alter the spacing for example ACL 41M, which went for huge money...

Begs the question, do they really care?
    55' BMW 330Cd M Sport
    • 2004 VW Golf R32
    • 2000 BMW 318i M Sport

1st Gear

Status
    I wanted mine ran with no spaces and I done it but got pulled over straight away lol.. I ran N9HTN but said i could get a fine with points if i do it again and i had to prove within 14 days that i put it back to N9 HTN

Status
    I think the police would tend to use it as an easy access point if they wanted to get you for something else. I think modified lettering is likely to get you pulled (eg italics) or blatant letter manipulation. Doesn't hurt anyone, so I'd say go for it and keep a spare set of legals handy! Halfrauds won't do them so unless you know an Indy who will do them you need to order online.

Planned Mods: Revo Stg1+ with DSG map, Revo CAI, custom exhaust, H&R Trax spacers, EM Tuning LED interior lights, R8 oil cap, Porsche coolant & brake fluid cap

2nd Gear

Status
    i used to make these in my old job, so i done one for my skyline "N7TPO" it was supposed to be "N7 TPO" (only a space) and i added a black screw by the "P" to make it look like an "R", i got fined £80 on the spot from the old bill i wasnt happy

3rd Gear

Status
    That's what i was thinking, did you get pulled over often with your leon plate warren?
    55' BMW 330Cd M Sport
    • 2004 VW Golf R32
    • 2000 BMW 318i M Sport

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Sheikh View Post
    That's what i was thinking, did you get pulled over often with your leon plate warren?
    Not once. Had 2 LCR's from 2003-2007 and nowt! But then car was grey and subtle. Low key!

Fossie

Status
    Just a guess guys but I reckon getting pulled over or not depends on whether NRC can recognise the car or not.

If the police in-car system recognises the plate regardless of spacing then they won't bother you.

On the other hand, if the police computer cannot recognise the car then you're in trouble !!

Only you can take the gamble as what the result may be.

2nd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by mike foster View Post
    Just a guess guys but I reckon getting pulled over or not depends on whether NRC can recognise the car or not.

If the police in-car system recognises the plate regardless of spacing then they won't bother you.

On the other hand, if the police computer cannot recognise the car then you're in trouble !!

agree

3rd Gear

Status
    Thats a good point!
    55' BMW 330Cd M Sport
    • 2004 VW Golf R32
    • 2000 BMW 318i M Sport

Neutral

Status
    I run the plate s3 lvx. I spaced it S3lv x and within the month I got pulled over and got a £30 fine. This was like 2 years ago. I think the fines have gone up to £60. I suppose if you're lucky you might get away with it for a while.

2nd Gear

Status
    I've had mine L80EWY for over 2 years on my car now, got told to change it when I was pulled for speeding. Haven't been pulled again yet

3rd Gear

Status
    Seem's to be a bit hit and miss to be honest, i reckon a traffic cop would probably try and do you, whereas a normal copper might not even care.
    55' BMW 330Cd M Sport
    • 2004 VW Golf R32
    • 2000 BMW 318i M Sport

4th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by L80EWY View Post
    I've had mine L80EWY for over 2 years on my car now, got told to change it when I was pulled for speeding. Haven't been pulled again yet
    If you get stopped again, your previous stop will be on record and DVLA can take your plate and give you an age-related one.
    Displaying your registration number : Directgov - Motoring

2nd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by fangio View Post
    If you get stopped again, your previous stop will be on record and DVLA can take your plate and give you an age-related one.
    Displaying your registration number : Directgov - Motoring
    I don't think he put anything down about the plate, never got a producer or anything for it just told me
    Personally to change it.

English...not so good

Status
    Lol mate how on earth are you passing the MOT test?

How much are you guys sending on private plates? I got offered SN11 PER for 5,200! Way too much!!

Status
    DSCF0181.jpg

Here is how mine was spaced and I was never pulled for it once!
    Last edited by warren_S3; 4th February 2012 at 07:25.

S3 Pollution Plus+ Edition

Status
    Ive just taken MllUUD off my quad bike as I sold it. tempted to put it on my white BE S3 for the ironic effect. put a black screw in between the 2 "ll" hey presto MUUUD

2nd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Snipe View Post
    Lol mate how on earth are you passing the MOT test?

How much are you guys sending on private plates? I got offered SN11 PER for 5,200! Way too much!!
    Mines passed two MOT's with the plate on, two different garages

I want your faulty electronics

Status
    Normal font and size plate.
    But adding screws change the letter or tape to change the they look will give you greater chance of being pulled over.
    What Warren has done would be down to discretion of the copper and like what Mike said, can the computer read it or not.

A friend of mine runs R13 MWR as R 13MW R (the 1 and 3 looks like a B) and never got pulled over, I think he still uses it and they leave him alone cause the font and plate size is correct.
    I've ran with no front plate for 3 years and never got pulled over, had friendly chats but that's it (It even passed MOTs )
    I honestly think it all comes down to how you look, how the car looks and what mood the copper is in.
    A4 B5 Double Din, RNS-d, TMC, Full Sports Leather Heated with Leather Door Cards and Lower Door trims all for sale.

Audrey's Build Thread
    RIP Audrey. She's being broken down.
    New Car, New Thread.
    Scott's Akoya Silver A8

Meow.

Status
    That Leon plate looks more like Loner than Leon R

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam. View Post
    That Leon plate looks more like Loner than Leon R
    Cheers. Given what was on it before it was lesser of evils!

6th Gear

Status
    Used to have mine spaced illegally, got away with it for 3 years about 5 years ago. Kept getting nicked and fined so just spaced it legally. Not overly arsed now, private number plates are money for old rope, that said i'm attached to mine even though it doesn't actually mean anything spaced legally. I've spent almost quadruple the amount of money of what i paid for it transferring it from car to car over the years.
    Audi A3 2.0L TDI S-Line Sportback

3rd Gear

Status
    Considering you're fraudulently insured Sheik I'm sure avoiding attention would be high on your list of priorities.

3rd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Minstadave View Post
    Considering you're fraudulently insured Sheik I'm sure avoiding attention would be high on your list of priorities.
    55' BMW 330Cd M Sport
    • 2004 VW Golf R32
    • 2000 BMW 318i M Sport

Audi=No fault code, no idea

Status
    LOL........a thread thats says...if i break the law and advertise it in big letters on my car, will i get done for it .......

Sounds to me like you have so much money you have run out of ideas, what to do with it....
    Last edited by paddy; 4th February 2012 at 16:52.
    Ibis white Revo S3 and now matching Vivaro LWB HR 2900 :-)

Many people are alive because its illegal to shoot them.

Audi=No fault code, no idea

Status
    Here we go, forget chav type plate's, send you money here and feel 10x better
    Ibis white Revo S3 and now matching Vivaro LWB HR 2900 :-)

Many people are alive because its illegal to shoot them.

Reverse Gear

Status
    I had not done this yet. One of my friends had made his private number plates with spacing between the numbers, I liked the style and also the sequence. I would like to try it. Could you please produce some attachment links about the best companies providing these services and other details?

S3 (8P)

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by mike foster View Post

Unfortunately even if your plate can still be read by ANPR you are also in trouble!

I ran a spaced plate for 3 years until I received a £60 fine through the post. Apparently I was snapped by one of these ANPR type vans that still recongnised the Reg number as the Police still managed to get a fine to my address, so from personal experience I can say that its still possible to receive a fine even if the plate is spaced but still legible.

So in essence, if you run a spaced plate then you could see a fine through your door at any time.
    Bit of a bugger really.

I ended up changing the plates to correctly spaced versions and then leaving the plate on my last S3 when I sold it private.

Cheers
    Paul
    Now:
    -MK2 Golf Gti 16V/VR6, Oak Green, Shrick, Intake, Decat, Kish Retrim, Lenso BSX..
    -BMW 335d Xdrive, Estoril Blue, fully loaded.

Before:
    S3 (8P), Ibis, DSG, Milltek, SHARK

BMW 320d M Sport
    S3 (8P), Sprint, REVO, H&R Springs, BBS CHs,

Golf MK5 GTi 20TFSI - REVO Stage1, Red.
    Golf MK5 GTi 20TFSI - Std, Shadow Blue
    Civic Type `R`
    Golf MK4 GTi 18T - 200bhp, MTM ECU, Forge DV
    Golf MK3 VR6 - Cat Back
    Corrado VR6 - JAMEX
    Corrado G60 - JAMEX, BRM Charger rebuild
    etc....

2nd Gear

Status
    THere are clear guidlines for number plates Displaying your registration number : Directgov - Motoring. Remember that ANPR is used to locate stolen cars as well as enforcing traffic laws. If you have an incorrectly set number plate iANPR may not recognise it if your vehicle is stolen.

2011 A4 2.0 TFSI Quattro Dynamik. IBIS White.

Neutral

Status
    Hi all,
    I can tell you that the spacing of letters/ numbers makes No difference to ANPR; the computer imagery identifies shapes of letters, not the spaces between them. Furthermore, as a vehicle passes the camera, a picture is taken digitally, and the operator then checks it visually to ensure that the computer has identified the correct number. The amount of times the camera picks up TTTTT11111, or similar, when passing central armco barriers is unbelieveable. The system is not designed to identify incorrect numbers. If the above incorrect number is falsely identified, the system simply reads "no trace PNC". For plates where the driver uses italics or similar, the picture which was taken will be looked at by the operator, and manually input onto the system. I know that it is illegal to change the spacing on number plates, and so does everyone else, and choosing to break the law is a personal matter, but I reckon that trying to make numbers read as letters and changing the spacing looks so naff. I can't understand why anyone would pay to look so desperate.

All the gear.. No idea

Status
    I think you're taking it all a bit too seriously- at the end of the day registrations are so you can easily identify a vehicle.. Mine Is "CR11SS R" i don't really give a rats ass if anyone doesn't like it, I DO! If i get pulled over and asked to change it i'll say "fair cop" and do it.. I think you run the risk of a fine and maybe losing the plate, but thats down to you, it's hardly crime of the century. I just hate the ones with all the silly fonts etc. I think only the proper typeface looks any good.
    For the record I have been pulled over because they didn't like my factory privacy glass on my black edition! But never for my plate lol.. police intelligence - such a contradiction in terms

And in the USA you can just have proper words, and pictures! We are a nation of pencil pushers and kill joys
    Red is the colour..

N8
    Kowalski Details

Status

My Social Networking

Add N8 on Facebook Visit N8's Instagram Channel

Smoothed recess and plate in the window FTW

"Will these wheel fit my car PM's will not be replied to, do you research & use the SEARCH button"

Detailing - Wheel Refurbishment - Shark Performance Software - VagbremTechnic Dealer - OEM Retrofitting - Remus - V-Maxx - Goodridge

4th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by N8 View Post

Smoothed recess and plate in the window FTW
    And you ain't been done yet? You're lucky, windscreen is totally illegal!

Fossie

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by fangio View Post
    And you ain't been done yet? You're lucky, windscreen is totally illegal!
    I think (hope) he might have been joking !!!!!!! lol

N8
    Kowalski Details

Status

My Social Networking

Add N8 on Facebook Visit N8's Instagram Channel

"Will these wheel fit my car PM's will not be replied to, do you research & use the SEARCH button"

Detailing - Wheel Refurbishment - Shark Performance Software - VagbremTechnic Dealer - OEM Retrofitting - Remus - V-Maxx - Goodridge

1st Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by enoliver View Post
    , but I reckon that trying to make numbers read as letters and changing the spacing looks so naff. I can't understand why anyone would pay to look so desperate.
    Hit the nail on the head. All a bit childish but typical of those desperate to make something out of little. Think teenagers in Saxo's

4th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by N8 View Post
    You evil bar steward!

3rd Gear

Status
    I've got mine spaced R4J XA whereas it should be R4 JXA. Got it from fancy plates and using the official dvla font and never had an issue with police. Only problem was mot this year as they now check spacing so just get set of correct plates and stick them on for mot.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast