Not much kit

Rick @ Unicorn Motor Dev.

Site Sponsor
Site Sponsor
Reaction score
Just bought a 2.0TFSI Sport DSG as a run around.

Bit suprised at the lack of kit. Thought Sport trim was pretty well speced up. Compared to my 99 S4 it's pretty sparse.

No Xenons, no footwell lighting, no vanity mirror lighting, no cruise, no auto dipping mirror, no auto wipers, no auto lights, no heated seats... Now I kow there are options list, but would have thought a Sport would have come with something!

It drives really nicely, a but gutless compared to the S4 but I'm working on a remap which should help in that area.

Rick

I think Sport is more the suspension and wheels, and compared to an S it's going to be sparse unless fitted with quite a few options, especially if the S4 had some options ticked too!

Sport has sports seats, dual zone climate control and 3 spoke steering wheel in terms of the interior.

As for exterior you get 17" wheels and front fogs.

Not a great deal to be honest. It's not helped by the fact that many of the original owners were company car drivers, so very little spec was added.

I think the only thing specced on mine was a rear sun blind (or is that standard aswel).

I find it a bit disappointing that Audi (a prestige marque) doesn't even fit an arm rest in all it's models or MFSW. I'd have thought those be the minimum requirements.

It's not all doom and gloom though, because retro-fitting these parts is fun and prevents any boredom or loss of love for the car!

The arm rest is not something you'd miss, I have mine folded up 99% of the time apart from long trips on motorways. It gets in the way of the handbrake and gear lever, and the phone prep thing in it makes it pretty usless for storage too (and being upright limits what I'd put in it too).

Audi is famous for everything being extra, it's equally ridiculous how much they charge for all the kit they should spec for free.

even on an sline most of those are options

The arm rest is not something you'd miss, I have mine folded up 99% of the time apart from long trips on motorways. It gets in the way of the handbrake and gear lever, and the phone prep thing in it makes it pretty usless for storage too (and being upright limits what I'd put in it too).
Since fitting my armrest I don't think I could do without. Mine is always in the down position and never gets in the way of the handbrake. The only annoyance is not being able to access the little storage tray underneath.

I did know it didn't have much, it was a good price and condition and suits what I need. No modding on this though as it's supposed to be a cheapish daily. I do like the seats and steering wheel. I will fit an RNS-E though as i visit lots of different places.

My old V plate BMW 528i had vanity mirrors with lights, foot well lights, arm rest, auto dipping rear mirror,cruise and that was only SE spec.

I'm just a little suprised that these are missing, I wouldn't expect HID's or Nav as std though.

Rick

I did know it didn't have much, it was a good price and condition and suits what I need. No modding on this though as it's supposed to be a cheapish daily. I do like the seats and steering wheel. I will fit an RNS-E though as i visit lots of different places.

My old V plate BMW 528i had vanity mirrors with lights, foot well lights, arm rest, auto dipping rear mirror,cruise and that was only SE spec.

I'm just a little suprised that these are missing, I wouldn't expect HID's or Nav as std though.

Rick

The A3 SE has cruise and armrest as standard.

I'd have thought the Sport and S-Line would have had those as standard plus more.

TBH they're terribly specced for the price, right up to the top end models. How many £34k cars don't have folding mirrors as standard these days. My old Leon Cupra R had them as std at £18,015!

They milk the options for all they're worth and then spit at them when you trade it back in. Ironically the ex Audi UK cars I've seen have pretty **** specs so they don't let their own employees spec them up much.