Help!!!!Audi a3 esp & steering light

l1ons81

Reaction score
Hi, Bought an Audi a3 2.0 tdi 2004 about a month ago. Been driving like a dream, did 300 miles to manchester on tuesday and no problems at all.

However last night I was driving home from work and all of a sudden the esp light and steering light came on, and cant get rid. The steering now doesnt auto centre and it seems sluggish?!

Any suggestions??

Steven

Get it scanned with VCDS to identify the problem. Check in the VCDS User section of this forum to see if anyone lives near you who could scan it for you.

On the other hand, providing you bought from a dealer then take it back and get them to fix it.

Get VCDS and read faults. Also try to clear them, if all fails then a trip to the garage is needed.
Did you buy the car from a dealer or car place, if so, take it straight back and get them to deal with it.

Sorry Mike, wrote my post as you justed posted yours. Haha, sorry mate.

It was a private sale,but i did have a full service done on saturday and the mechanic plug up diagnostics for free and there was only 1 fault for a glow plug.

Hes coming back tomorrow to dianose again.
Have any of your heard of these problems?!

There will be more faults indicated this time ! Hopefully your mechanic has VCDS because not all diagnostic readers identify VAG problems.

If you have disconnected the battery at all you may need to have to reset the basic settings but VCDS will tell you.

If he only told you about the glow plug error odds are either, he has a **** scan tool or he didn't go into ABS/ESP and Steering ECU to read the codes.

I have the same fault on mine bud.

Im waiting for mine to be taken in and fixed. Apprently its the 'steering angle sensor'

There will be more faults indicated this time ! Hopefully your mechanic has VCDS because not all diagnostic readers identify VAG problems.

If you have disconnected the battery at all you may need to have to reset the basic settings but VCDS will tell you.

Agree with above. Have you disconnected/reconnected the battery, if so you will need to reset it. Also you need full VCDs to diagnose all faults.

I read on net yday that disconnecting battery might reset warning lights, So I disconnected battery. so how do i actually reset it?is it safe to drive do you think?only difference is steering doesnt auto correct

It is still safe to drive as i am having the same issue on my car.

You can only reset it using VCDS

I read on net yday that disconnecting battery might reset warning lights, So I disconnected battery. so how do i actually reset it?is it safe to drive do you think?only difference is steering doesnt auto correct
Hang on a minute - Have you moved the car since you disconnected the battery ? What you need to do is drive forwards in a straight line for about ten metres; turn the wheel full lock to the left, hold it there for a few seconds and back to centre; full lock to the right, hold and back to centre and drive backwards in a straight line to where you started.

This should reset the steering sensor. If I remember correctly you should then be able to switch off the engine, start again and it should have sorted itself out. However, you may need VCDS to clear the fault codes first.

I have moved the car,but it was to drive to work this morning,I will try that method tonight and hopefully it works.
alot of other bits of advice suggest low battery?is that common?
cheers for advice mike

right,diagnostics came back with a steering sensor fault and the battery was running off 11volts and was nearly dead, So ive got a new battery and on the look out for steering sensor, does any1 know the part number?
my car is a 2004 audi a3 2.0tdi sport.

Cheers

It is unlikely that there is anything wrong with the sensor. It just needs re-setting. Find someone near you with VCDS who can help you.

Otherwise please post the actual diagnostic fault code and description.